Sign in to follow this  
kronovan

Will There Ever be a Fix for Tracked Vehicle Analog Steering?

I'm new to ARMA 3. I used to really enjoy tracked vehicles in ARMA 2, but with them not supporting the analog left & right for steering I find them almost uncontrollable in 3?  Meanwhile, the wheeled vehicle handle well with my joystick X axis mapped to left & right analog. I'm still experimenting with the fast forward and backward controls mapped to my rudder pedal toe brakes, so the verdict is still out on those. The few experiences I've had so far seem decent.  I've had feedback that using the mouse might provide superior control for turning tracked vehicles, but my physical desktop and mousepad size wouldn't accommodate that well. Besides, I have a full HOTAS with stick+pedals+throttle quadrant and really want to make use of it.

I wish BI had just implemented the same tracked vehicle controls they coded for ARMA 2. I've been doing a lot of google-fu on this topic and have found a good number of posts here and on the Steam forums discussing it -some even with BI devs jumping in- but BI seems to have to put on indefinite hold a fix for it. The cynic in me makes me skeptical that there might be a hidden agenda on BI's behalf for ignoring it so long. Like maybe quick maneuvering tracked heavies in ARMA 2 were used to easily for over-running foes and players, and making them more of a challenge to steer is a play balancing? I wouldn't know because I'm much more of a SP'er than a MP'er.

On 2/20/2019 at 7:18 PM, kronovan said:

I'm new to ARMA 3. I used to really enjoy tracked vehicles in ARMA 2, but with them not supporting the analog left & right for steering I find them almost uncontrollable in 3?  Meanwhile, the wheeled vehicle handle well with my joystick X axis mapped to left & right analog. I'm still experimenting with the fast forward and backward controls mapped to my rudder pedal toe brakes, so the verdict is still out on those. The few experiences I've had so far seem decent.  I've had feedback that using the mouse might provide superior control for turning tracked vehicles, but my physical desktop and mousepad size wouldn't accommodate that well. Besides, I have a full HOTAS with stick+pedals+throttle quadrant and really want to make use of it.

I wish BI had just implemented the same tracked vehicle controls they coded for ARMA 2. I've been doing a lot of google-fu on this topic and have found a good number of posts here and on the Steam forums discussing it -some even with BI devs jumping in- but BI seems to have to put on indefinite hold a fix for it. The cynic in me makes me skeptical that there might be a hidden agenda on BI's behalf for ignoring it so long. Like maybe quick maneuvering tracked heavies in ARMA 2 were used to easily for over-running foes and players, and making them more of a challenge to steer is a play balancing? I wouldn't know because I'm much more of a SP'er than a MP'er.

This was evaluated in preparation of the Tanks DLC that improved Tracked Vehicle physics and handling a lot, but it never made it into the game because it was far from easy to implement. Tracked is another class and does not use the same physics as wheeled vehicles.

I don't think tracked vehicles are challenging to maneuver in MP - some of them like the Nyx have considerable oversteer or sliding, which makes things worse, but it's not a big enough issue to affect balancing. Tracked vehicles are well countered by shoulder launched weapons in many scenarios.

Once you have decent pedals, you start feeling sad there is no usable analog control for the tracked (and other?) vehicles. Would do wonders for immersion.

My pedals + throttle work well enough for helicopters...