Mynock

Any Suggestions for getting someone to stop claiming I made something I didn't?

Kind of a weird question, but the results of this person's claims are annoying me in a roundabout way.

An individual on Steam has a workshop item up with a claim that I, Mynock, have a "private SOCOM campaign" and that he hasn't stolen anything from me yada yada yada.

Here's the thing: No such "private" campaign exists. I never made one. Yet this causes a lot of messages to me asking for access to it, and then people getting upset accusing me of lying when I tell them it doesn't exist.

Said individual has blocked me from communicating with them. It's frustrating to say the least.

I'm not even making Arma missions anymore. But every time he re-uploads this workshop project I get flooded for months with requests for access to this non-existent thing I never made.

If you still can comment on his workshop mission (found it btw, wasn't that hard), you could do that.

I, as a general rule, don't make any kind of support or communication with users over steam. Friendship requests and messages by anyone who isn't at least a friend of a friend are generally and always denied. That at least solves the problem for steam. But other than that there's hardly anything you can do.

I commented on the workshop item, both the first time and this time as it's been re-uploaded with the claims still in the description. But my comments were deleted and I can not longer comment, probably due to a block.

Not really sure what the individual is gaining from it, but it's annoying me and I feel bad people are not only being misled, but also when I have to tell them it doesn't exist and they subsequently believe I'm being an elitist or something and won't share my work... my work that literally does not exist lol.

I don't really care about calling him out at this point because he's nuts and believes something that's not true. But here's additional evidence I've tried to get him to remove his claims I made something I didn't. Again, literally no clue what he's gaining from this, other than annoying me.

SZHYQ4u.png

In what kind of relationship did you guys stand before any of that? I suppose this guy didn't just look through a lot of usernames and just took yours randomly, did he?

15 hours ago, Mynock said:

But here's additional evidence I've tried to get him to remove his claims I made something I didn't.

I remember that name. Unauthorized terrain ports on workshop, Unauthorized mod reuploads on steam workshop.

11 hours ago, Belbo said:

In what kind of relationship did you guys stand before any of that? I suppose this guy didn't just look through a lot of usernames and just took yours randomly, did he?

No real previous relationship, other than he commented on my dead thread about my project saying he wanted to do something similar. That ignited tons of messages from people asking about progress, asking me to get involved, etc, but I wasn't interested in continuing the project, but I also didn't want to constantly be having to tell people why I didn't want to continue it and so on. And I'd feel like a jerk if I ignored people's inquiries as well, I don't want to be an ass to people who legitimately have questions, but there were a lot of them. I asked the forum admins to lock the thread since I wasn't continuing the project. Ever since then he's made this claim of me having some secret campaign I won't share with the community, which simply isn't true. Again, it's just more annoying than anything, because I get people messaging me on steam asking about it and then accusing me of being a dick for not sharing it with them like I'm some sort of elitist or something. But like, what they want literally doesn't exist lol, so how am I supposed to share it?

22 hours ago, Dedmen said:

I remember that name. Unauthorized terrain ports on workshop, Unauthorized mod reuploads on steam workshop.

I wish recidivists would be banned from uploading anything on SW...

Having to DMCA people is tiresome already, but what's the point if anyone can keep direspecting others or violating licenses without consequences?

We've been saying that from the beginning but, modding is crucial for Arma, and as such should be actively regulated, instead of the bare minimum rules we have on Steam.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mynock said:

No real previous relationship, other than he commented on my dead thread about my project saying he wanted to do something similar. That ignited tons of messages from people asking about progress, asking me to get involved, etc, but I wasn't interested in continuing the project, but I also didn't want to constantly be having to tell people why I didn't want to continue it and so on. And I'd feel like a jerk if I ignored people's inquiries as well, I don't want to be an ass to people who legitimately have questions, but there were a lot of them. I asked the forum admins to lock the thread since I wasn't continuing the project. Ever since then he's made this claim of me having some secret campaign I won't share with the community, which simply isn't true. Again, it's just more annoying than anything, because I get people messaging me on steam asking about it and then accusing me of being a dick for not sharing it with them like I'm some sort of elitist or something. But like, what they want literally doesn't exist lol, so how am I supposed to share it?

Or: Just release a socom campaign, with great fuss about it finally being no longer "private". And have it be some shitty mission without any actual content. That way you can always divert the naggers to that and tell them that MrSocomDude is an idiot for assuming you had a private mission in the first place.

• Like 2

If I may share my College opinion, he is most likely trying to force you to make a campaign and release it so as for everyone to stop complaining. Naturally speaking even if you do that you will be proven to be a liar. So the guy will get his campaign and you will be in some sort of social trouble. So either he just wants you to make a campaign without being mentally able to take the second part in consideration or he wants to have a two in one scenario.  

As for solving the whole thing I can think of a solution that will however mean spending time for this guy and showing a character that is ehm debatable? 

or you can simply ignore them all and blame them for not trusting you but a kinda complete stranger. Most times the best solution. Otherwise there might be a domino of destruction.

College life...

• Like 2

The guy is obviously a dick and there's no reasoning with him. Perhaps try to engage with members of his community and explain the situation to those are not dicks.

• Like 2

Sure. Copy /paste an answer inside which you gently explain the problem, with the link here. Ask for the reader to send a message on his workshop for dissuading him from persevering in that way (you can even give the message). I guess he could be tired faster than you.

Btw, I post a link for this discussion on his workshop.

• Like 4

On 2/21/2019 at 4:14 PM, Belbo said:

Or: Just release a socom campaign, with great fuss about it finally being no longer "private". And have it be some shitty mission without any actual content. That way you can always divert the naggers to that and tell them that MrSocomDude is an idiot for assuming you had a private mission in the first place.

Just make a 1 mission campaign addon, which once you start it, just spawns a message center-screen saying exactly that. Great idea. 😄

• Like 4

I agree with @pierremgi my solution is similar to his. In your Steam profile, make your statement publicly (short and concise) with a link to _>. Also, create a short post here (again short and concise) and request that it be locked. Voila, you have a public statement with permanence. 

Best bet would be to amalgamate what you've read here then edit your first post. I will lock it then (and hide the rest.)

• Like 2