Tankbuster

Destroying indestructible bridges?

I want to have my players destroy bridges.

I know that all the bridges are indestructible and so eventhandlers such as explosion, hit and handle damage don't work. In the past I've placed sensor objects that can take damage on the target in question and used on them to sense the damage and then hide the bridge. But that has stopped working.

The Land_Track_01_bridge_F, for example, is just begging to be taken out, 'Bridge Over the River Kwai' style, but no amount of sensor objects are working. When shooting Titans at the bridge, I've placed ATVs, tyres, wooden poles sensors on top of the bridge, and underneath it, but the EH's never fire. It seems the bridge structure is shielding the sensor object from damage. But objects on the ground just 10m from the strike are not getting any hit either. Really odd. 

I've tried attaching sensor objects, but unless I'm doing it wrong, the objects won't attach, it seems the commands is ignored.

So what are my options? Could I suspend sensor objects using rope? Should I use a nearentities loop to sense an approaching rocket/missile?  Should I run a check on the position of all rockets/missiles to see if they get close to my target? Am I using the wrong sensor object?

Update. I'm using trafficcone_f as an object to hold the EHs, and this seems to work better. But the attachto fails. Is it possible to attach things to buildings?

3 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

Update. I'm using trafficcone_f as an object to hold the EHs, and this seems to work better. But the attachto fails. Is it possible to attach things to buildings?

Try  putting any object at terrain level of bridge position (below bridge).  Then attach your sensor object at bridge height.  That might work.  Zodiac might be good sensor object.  You can make it invisible via setObjectTexture without disabling animation via hideObject.

Question:  Can you actually hide the bridge object?  On this thread people tried hiding and deleting bridge objects and never got it to work for Arma 3.

I'm pretty sure that it's impossible to attach objects to buildings. I've been at this all weekend and everything I've done leads me to that. I'd update the wiki but KIllzonekid seems to delete everything I put there. Ho hum.

Anyway, you can see the sensor object, the traffic cone, I've not hidden it yet, but the explosion EH on the sensor fired plus a nearobjects check that looks for #craters also was enough for the script to hideobjectglobal the bridge and mark the mission as successful.

The sensor cone you can see is spawned then simulationenabled false, but it seems to fall just a little. It's supposed to be on the top of the bridge. I intend to have another one on the ground under the bridge too, though often, that will be in water. Note that EHs work on sim disabled objects. On hideobjectglobal objects too.

What I have found, that was surprising is that I put an explosion EH on the bridge and that fires sometimes too, though the bridge never actually takes any damage.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Question:  Can you actually hide the bridge object?  On this thread people tried hiding and deleting bridge objects and never got it to work for Arma 3.

That thread talks specifically about road bridges and yes, I've found the same thing, you can only hide the bridge supports, not the road deck itself. Something to do with the fact it's a roadway, presumably.

• Like 1

1 . Note: It's always better to precise what addon you're using for the object. We can't guess. Sorry, seems to be vanilla here.

2 . you can setdamage 1 to any object (then returning 1 for the damage). But, if there is no damaged model you will not see any difference.

3 . The reason why the alternate solution is to hide such objects

4 . or try to hide specific selection(s) if declared in class, with hideSelection.

5 . On the other hand, some objects can take hit on hitparts if declared in class, usually vehicles (plane,tank,car,ship...). That doesn't mean the damage will be automatically increased, but usually, some texture/material will apply (damaged rendering), even if damage value stays at 0. That's Arma.

"Attaching things to building". You don't need that. You can spawn any laserTargetW (or E) (W if you want it to be fired by West, so this target will be sided East). Spawn it at the right position [x,y,z], it will not fall into the ground! Just an example.

• Like 2

1. Yes, vanilla, sorry I should have been clearer.

2. Yes, you can setdamage1 objects that are indestructible. Unless I misunderstand you, you're telling me something I already knew.

3. Yes, I'm hiding indestructible objects to simulate their destruction.

4. Haven't looked into hiding selections within the model. Biki says it only works with simpleobjects.

5. Yes, but hitparts aren't relevant to buildings.

6. Originally, I was attaching multiple sensor objects to the bridge buildings to allow the sensors to get explosions that happen on the bridge deck, on the ground near the footings and anywhere in between. But it seemed attachto doesn't work for buildings so I worked around it. I don't want to spawn lasertargets because I want to players to be firing unguided over long distances.

But then.. so called indestructible bridges? Ha. Feel the power of hidden sensor objects and the hideObjectGlobal command 🙂

It's WIP, so a little rough, and we'll ignore the footage on the cutting room floor where the first Titan round hits the telephone wire in front of the bridge, lol

Note this also works with the sea bridges at Harcourt. 🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

But then.. so called indestructible bridges?

Hah, Tankbuster is a myth buster!  Good job!

• Haha 1

You could try finding the bridge ID with "ToggleMapIDs" on the eden editor, then place a destructible object, give it a classname like "Destroy1", place a marker named Bridge1, place a trigger in the condition "!Alive Destroy1;" then in the activation an SQF file so nul = execVM "Destruction.sqf;" and then in the SQF -- nearestObject [Bridge1, IDNUMBERHERE]) setdamage 1;