snkman

Tactical Combat Link - TypeX

@oldy41 Might be worth posting a repo mission in case snkman cares to look further at the specific case.

31 minutes ago, Defunkt said:

@oldy41 Might be worth posting a repo mission in case snkman cares to look further at the specific case.

The problem is I shredded the scenario configuration, which would show the effect while fiddling around and trying to simplify it 😖

I'll try to rebuild it.

@Muecke

Thanks for the report! :thumbs-up:

Why those errors are always reported by you? :icon2::headscratch:

Really strange... I never ever got this script error...

Is there something special you are using? Other Mods maybe?

In which mission did you get this error?

Again spawning unit(s)? Please noooo!

@oldy41

Hmm... Yeah strange... I really was trying hard to reproduce this behvaviour...

Just as Defunkt told...

Next time you encounter this behaviour just upload the mission so i can check it out! :thumbs-up:

1 hour ago, snkman said:

@Muecke

Hi snkman,

can confirm this errors.....yes spawning unit(s) mainly on my end(Dac with & without Dac ai & other spawn script) in editor after the fighting begins. 

Best regards and have a nice day^^

Damn... Is this D.A.C. mission script based?

If yes could you please upload it? I have no clue when it comes to D.A.C. setup...

Thanks! :icon5: Wish you the same!

@snkman 

Just to add a thought to the list.  It would be good to find a way of making it easier for Zeus to set the TCL_<status> of a group once the mission is live.  Perhaps like the drag and drop 'buttons' in something like Achilles.
Currently, I think you can only double click the squad lead and init "group this setVariable ["TCL_<required status>", True];"

p.s. lots of good vibes for TCL on various Discord channels.   Main beef is controlling how TCL 'grabs' groups and then returns them to the waypoint _before_ they were activated [maybe they ought to re-direct to the newest waypoint].

I have to remind myself how to shorten the search time (after no sightings) on a ^dedicated server^ (mods, rather than scripted).  Anyone?!

@Machiya

Just to add a thought to the list.  It would be good to find a way of making it easier for Zeus to set the TCL_<status> of a group once the mission is live.  Perhaps like the drag and drop 'buttons' in something like Achilles.
Currently, I think you can only double click the squad lead and init "group this setVariable ["TCL_<required status>", True];"

Yes would be very nice to have!

But well... Have to say currently i miss the knowledge and time to get into this...

Main beef is controlling how TCL 'grabs' groups and then returns them to the waypoint _before_ they were activated [maybe they ought to re-direct to the newest waypoint].

Could you please explain this a bit more? I don't really get it... :headscratch:

I have to remind myself how to shorten the search time (after no sightings) on a ^dedicated server^ (mods, rather than scripted).  Anyone?!

Same to this one! :headscratch:

You know that latest T.C.L. version use such a system where A.I. loose enemy knowledge after loosing line of sight?

7 hours ago, snkman said:

@Muecke

Yes, yes buddy!!!

I have 24 Squads spawning and raping in big distances.

Keep up the good work. We need guys like you.

👍

Hello again,

good news or bad news^^, i can't clearly reproduced the error with the editor based mission i played, ... it is so rarly that it makes no sense to upload it( tried today an hour with only 1 out of 12 had the error).

But i assume it is related to cti missions & scripts that gives groups commands(may lets say AI high command and so on). I guess that would explain why Muecke get this error too with his crcti mission.   So i try to find Ai High Command script without playing a whole cti to make a repo. 

If i had luck i upload the next days a small repro editor based mission. HETMAN - Artificial Leader seems promising, has shown me the take_cover error.

edit: again no luck to fully reproduced the error. needs more testing 😞

Still using and loving this mod.

I do have a few questions. How do waypoints effect AI behavior with this mod? And I would assume no, but would custom missions work with this mod? I would guess they would break scripts but it can't hurt to ask. 

Would like to report that i also had the same error as Muecke. Nothing special about my mission, was just a quick editor created one. Only started happening after the latest update. Hope this helps 🙂 

Also is there a way i can disable aircraft from just flying off via the config? My combat support units in ALiVE are just flying off and doing their own thing, tad annoying when they won't comply. 

Morning guys..

Are we close to a RC?

I want to use this i a 4 missions campain but waiting for a RC

@Muecke + teilx

Well i tested it yesterday with default ARMA 3 A.I. Spawn Module.

WEST vs EAST

Spawn time 15 sec.

Max group size 17 unit(s)

The 2 modules were about 200 - 300 meters away from each other so spawning A.I. unit(s) don't get killed instantly but have clear LOS.

Guess in total there have been 500 - 700 A.I. unit(s) spawned and killed...

During the whole slaughter i did not get a single script error...

Only possible reason of what i could think of is:

If the missions you are using use scripts which spawn A.I. unit(s) very delayed ( 3 or more seconds ) from 1 A.I. unit to the next A.I. unit than this could be the problem.

Right now T.C.L. will detect spawned unit(s) / group(s) and loop / wait for 1 second to see if there have been spawned some more unit(s) or if the unit(s) of the group(s) already has finished spawning.

Maybe i should increase it to 3 - 5 seconds but than spawned group(s) with 15 + unit(s) will need 15 * 3 = 75 45 seconds till they get initialized.

@kothen

How do waypoints effect AI behavior with this mod?

Well as soon as A.I. group(s) get requested or encounter enemy(s) their WPs will be unlocked and they will do what ordered by the mod.

But you can fully disable the T.C.L. movement system in the settings:

UserConfig > TCL > TCL_AI.sqf

// ==============================================================
  // T.C.L. A.I. Disable: ( Move )
  // Choose ( True ) to disable A.I. group(s) movement.
  // True / False, default is False
    // TCL_AI set [7, False];

also another setting which disable the reinforcement request system.

// T.C.L. A.I. Disable: ( Reinforcement )
  // Choose ( True ) to disable A.I. group(s) to request and be requested as reinforcement(s).
    // TCL_AI set [8, False];

A.I. still will use all their advanced T.C.L. combat behaviours!

@Unleashthepain

Only started happening after the latest update. Hope this helps

Well yes at least a bit. :icon5:

Can't remember to change anything in those parts of the mod but i will keep on it!

My combat support units in ALiVE are just flying off and doing their own thing, tad annoying when they won't comply.

Well you could simply disable the group to not use T.C.L.

1. Create a trigger.

2. In the text field of the created trigger write: TCL_Disabled

3. Synchronize 1 unit of the group you like to not use T.C.L. with this trigger.

@loopdk

Hello! :icon5:

I don't think there will be some kind of RC.

This mod could be seen as something like all time W.I.P. because i'm working on it almost daily and finding stuff to fix and improve almost every day as well.

Of course i always hope to have a fully working and free of bugs version ready to release but as you can see... There will be always something happening i did not test or see or encounter during my testing.

It's pretty hard to cover every situation possible which users are able to do with this game.

Just use the latest version and see how it works for you!

• Like 1

Just been getting that script error repeatedly in Virtual Arsenal. Went back to try and recreate it with the same mods loaded but nothing.

I would guess that maybe the following on line 61 is sometimes returning nil;

private _array = (_unit getVariable "TCL_Take_Cover");

An isNil check or the alternate getVariable syntax which allows specification of a fallback value might make it go away.

I will mate.

Tnx for great work

@Defunkt

Yes you are right!

The script error is shown because of A.I. unit(s) don't have the required variable ( getVariable ) assigned the script is trying to read ( nil variable ).

I could use the alternative syntax to use a default ( value ) variable but this would not solve the problem... It would be some kind of workaround ( quick and easy fix ) which i'm not a big fan of.

There is a reason why this script error is happening and there is a proper fix for it... I just have to find it... :headscratch:

B.t.w.: I don't think it's caused by Virtual Arsenal. This error should be restricted to unit(s) only!

Anyway... Thanks for the feedback! :thumbs-up:

@loopdk

You're welcome! :icon5:

Sure, figured that might be why you'd not enacted such an obvious fix (and I agree about not just hiding logical errors) but given how intermittent it is, adding a nil check and then in that case reporting the name (state/event/trigger) of the calling function in a Hint might make it easier to get to the bottom of.

My main problem right now is that i don't get this error at all! :icon2:

Sorry -- wrote this down too quickly first time.

On 5/2/2019 at 2:14 PM, Machiya said:

p.s. lots of good vibes for TCL on various Discord channels.   Main beef is controlling how TCL 'grabs' groups and then returns them to the waypoint _before_ they were activated [maybe they ought to re-direct to the newest waypoint]

I have seen lots of,

1. Many positive comments talking about how individual TCL controlled soldiers react in a fire-fight.
  2. Stuff similar to my own testing which shows that groups stay well-formed in a fire-fight -- IMHO better than ASRAI or VCOM (these mods seem to favour a 'fire at will, engage at will' perceptive -- i.e. groups spread out).

These two aspects draw people to TCL.

Gold Stars all round.

BTW [Does TCL drive re-arming or using FAKS??]

People who are walking away from TCL are mainly doing so because reinforcement calls to 'standard' (unmodified) groups are very strong. It pulls units across the map. 
Some of these people are Zeus, who are putting down live groups. How to re-init a group in a live game is not obvious (Could add this to .pdf?)
Some are people trying to direct units in a high command like manner -- and find them wandering off (These people are users, not mission-makers/Zeus)

One way or another people aren't getting the TCL_<status> message; despite how you have articulated it in the read me.  I don't have an answer yet.

What I was leading on to say is that I will do some video clip tests covering the different TCL_<status> and configuring them in a live game.

On 5/2/2019 at 2:14 PM, Machiya said:

If a dedi server has filepatching turned off. How does TCL access the variables?

BTW [Does TCL drive re-arming or using FAKS??]

As far as i can tell vanilla A.I. of ARMA 3 use re-arming and healing.

That's why i did not do anything so far.

Some of these people are Zeus, who are putting down live groups. How to re-init a group in a live game is not obvious (Could add this to .pdf?)

Re-Init?

Well A.I. unit(s) / group(s) placed by using Zeus are the same as spawned A.I. unit(s) / group(s).

They will be initialized automatically or what exactly do you mean with re-init?

Some are people trying to direct units in a high command like manner -- and find them wandering off (These people are users, not mission-makers/Zeus)

There are 2 setting which disable the A.I. movement and A.I. reinforcement request system.

UserConfig > TCL > TCL_AI.sqf

// T.C.L. A.I. Disable: ( Move )
  // Choose ( True ) to disable A.I. group(s) movement.
    // TCL_AI set [7, False];

// T.C.L. A.I. Disable: ( Reinforcement )
  // Choose ( True ) to disable A.I. group(s) to request and be requested as reinforcement(s).
    // TCL_AI set [8, False];

What I was leading on to say is that I will do some video clip tests covering the different TCL_<status> and configuring them in a live game.

Okay got it! :icon5:

Yeah that's right!

Zeus user's will be very limited when it come's to specific A.I. group types ( Hold > Defend > Location and so on... ) they will be not able to use them...

If a dedi server has filepatching turned off. How does TCL access the variables?

T.C.L. use a default setting database which will be modified / overwritten by settings from the "UserConfig > TCL > TCL_XXX.sqf" files.

If filePatching is disabled the default setting database will be used.

Okay... Did some more testing yesterday + tested some of the D.A.C. example missions to see if i get the script error caused by nil variable.

Guess there is something i was not aware of.

During my D.A.C. testing i've seen D.A.C. reducing A.I. group(s) so my thoughts maybe it also increases A.I. group(s) as well!

T.C.L. will catch / initialize spawned A.I. unit(s) / group(s) once only!

So if A.I. group(s) get dynamically increased ( get A.I. unit(s) added / spawned ) after the A.I. group(s) already was spawned than those A.I. unit(s) will never be initialized by T.C.L. at this point of time.

So my guess the "quick and dirty" fix will be the only possible way of how to fix this issue and by this the "quick and ditry" fix would turn to a proper fix! :icon2:

• Like 2

Hey snkman, just a quick question about the AI is taking empty cars. Do they only use car which belongs to their side ?

And if so, would you make it possible that they use civilian cars too ?

I had a big match yesterday with friends and the AI was pretty cool, doing nice moves.

Hi Muecke! :icon5:

Hey snkman, just a quick question about the AI is taking empty cars. Do they only use car which belongs to their side ?

Yes that's right.

Right now A.I. is allowed to use car(s) which belong to their own side only.

And if so, would you make it possible that they use civilian cars too ?

Sure would be possible to do!

Still i'm not quite sure if A.I. should be allowed to use every car they find no matter what side it is?

I had a big match yesterday with friends and the AI was pretty cool, doing nice moves.

Nice to hear! :thumbs-up:

I meant own side + civilians not cars from the enemy. That would be very cool.

In my mission there are Squads who patrol and hold a city. After a while a support truck spawns inside. Two guys got into that truck just to drive around and impress the girls.

I was so laughing!!!

5 hours ago, snkman said:

Okay... Did some more testing yesterday + tested some of the D.A.C. example missions to see if i get the script error caused by nil variable.

Guess there is something i was not aware of.

During my D.A.C. testing i've seen D.A.C. reducing A.I. group(s) so my thoughts maybe it also increases A.I. group(s) as well!

T.C.L. will catch / initialize spawned A.I. unit(s) / group(s) once only!

So if A.I. group(s) get dynamically increased ( get A.I. unit(s) added / spawned ) after the A.I. group(s) already was spawned than those A.I. unit(s) will never be initialized by T.C.L. at this point of time.

So my guess the "quick and dirty" fix will be the only possible way of how to fix this issue and by this the "quick and ditry" fix would turn to a proper fix! :icon2:

I would just mention that I don't run anything remotely like DAC, including when the error started happening for me in VA. Typically ATM my mod set is just JSRS/CUP-Terrains/RHS-ALL (plus, of course, TCL) and I think at the time I also had CBA & NIA loaded.