bardosy

Port forward question

I tried to port forward to create a server. I want to open 2302-2306 in both TCP and UDP. But unfortunately my router told I cannot use 2302-2303, because they are reserved ports to the router.

Am I right when I admit I stuck and it is impossible to solve this problem (except buy an other router) ? Or maybe do you have some trick to solve this?

You can specify a different port, in the server launch/command line you would use -port= xxxx . 

BIS wiki on servers

Or if for whatever reason you want default ports can try disconnecting any other devices to see if one of them are using the port (smart TV, wireless printer, phone, tablet etc). 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks!

I didnt specify the problem, but I mean not dedicated server. I want to start a server in my arma client. Can I add this -port=xxxx in the launcher to the game (not a dedicated server)?

Unfortunately I have no any device use this ports, so it's the router itself (TP-Link) and official answer is to buy a new router 😉 Probably I will...

I'm not sure if the option in the arma launcher will work for listen/client server, but under parameters, all parameters, host, there is a server port option, which is the -port command run via the launcher. Additionally, in game if you do the multiplayer, server browser, host route, you can specify a port there as well.

I've never tried doing that with a client/server, but so far as I know one/both of those routes should work. :) 

You could ask on a networking forum or something similar. I'd have no idea if a routers reserved ports can be changed though.

Thank you guys for the answer.

I bought a new router and I could port forward. So everything is fine.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:49 AM, bardosy said:

I tried to port forward to create a server. I want to open 2302-2306 in both TCP and UDP. But unfortunately my router told I cannot use 2302-2303, because they are reserved ports to the router.

Am I right when I admit I stuck and it is impossible to solve this problem (except buy an other router) ? Or maybe do you have some trick to solve this?

do NOT open portrange 2302-2306 TCP/UDP .... server wont show on serverbrowswer

you need to open follow ports:

portrange 2302-2305 UDP

and
port 2306 UDP

• Confused 1

On 2/25/2019 at 2:12 AM, maquez said:

do NOT open portrange 2302-2306 TCP/UDP .... server wont show on serverbrowswer

you need to open follow ports:

portrange 2302-2305 UDP

and
port 2306 UDP

Sorry, but what is the difference?

1. range between 2302-2306 UDP

2. range between 2302-2305 UDP and port 2306 UDP

It seems the same to me.

35 minutes ago, bardosy said:

Sorry, but what is the difference?

1. range between 2302-2306 UDP

2. range between 2302-2305 UDP and port 2306 UDP

It seems the same to me.

Very much the same, no need for different firewall rules. 2302 -2306 would be perfectly fine.

security reasons ....

portrange 2302-2305, 2x02-2x05... UDP Steam related ports
port 2306, 2x06... UDP Battleye related port (different server location)

do not open any non needed ports "TCP" (security reasons too)

sure you could open the entire portrange from 0 up to 64738 TCP/UDP but this would be a very stupid idea

Getting a Close Look at Firewalls

what is a firewall

(do work as a Cyber Security Consultant)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, maquez said:

(do work as a Cyber Security Consultant)

Then you should know that forwarding range 2302-2306 or just 2302-2305 and 2306 seperately has same end result.

That's why the user asked.