shadeops21

Prowler LSV Retexture Issues

So I am aware of the existence of the ArmA 3 texture samples for Apex content, and have been looking around them to investigate the feasibility of re-texturing them for a unit I am working on.

Thing is: from my opinion, the samples aren't usable for proper re-texturing, as the main colouring and details (lights, screws/bolts, seams in the panels, etc) are on the same layer. Unless there's a method in GIMP or Photoshop to edit that particular layer to be coloured, the template isn't usable.

This is the colour layer only, nothing else active or visible, and you can see what I mean.

krzsvSx.png

If anyone has a template that can be used to recolour and retexture, or at least has some tips/tricks/advice on how to use what we're given, please let me know. It''d be greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2019 at 5:47 AM, shadeops21 said:

Unless there's a method in GIMP

Hello there shadeops21 !

You can turn with Gimp to RGB colours and then start from scratch.

• Like 1

Pretty much what George said, duplicate the layer you want, desaturate, cut out what’s needed and texture accordingly.

Also, there’s a dedicated part of the forums for just this topic, you might get what you’re looking for there:)

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/forum/162-arma-3-addons-configs-scripting/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I am reading you correctly, then what I would do is dePBO the "black" variant texture that exists for the Prowler as it doesn't have the triangular camouflage pattern. It exists because you can choose that texture in the garage. Using the black texture and altering the transfer mode of that layer, that will give you the ability to retain seams, screws etc etc on top of your color/texture changes. The order of those layers in photoshop would be:

Layer Window

Top Layer : The original black texture (but desaturated and adjusting its levels combined with a transfer mode of "screen" or "multiply" or "soft overlay" which will blend it overtop of your new texture and giving you back certain details like screws, seams etc)

Bottom Layer : New color or texture elements you want to introduce.

I answered the original post from work and away from my computer. Now on my PC I pulled up the actual sample that BI offers in the ArmA 3 texture samples for Apex content. The simplest way to get a clean base for retexturing (IMO) is as follows (using photoshop)

• Left Ctrl click on the thumbnail in the layer called 'color' on the bottom, this will highlight all the filled areas of the layer
  • If you're doing a camo you could paste it into the picture and use the 'crawling ants' to copy then paste a cut-out of your camo into a new layer OR
  • Go to Layer>New Fill Layer> Solid color
  • Pick the color you want for your retexture or a suitable base color to overlay with whatever your texture will be (in the example below I picked white)
  • Edit this new layer to take out the bits you don't want!
  • Make sure this new layer is just above the 'color' layer
  • Hide the 'color' layer if needed

This method allows you to use all the dirt layers that come with the sample, something you would have to recreate taking the DePBOing route.

I'm not exactly clear what everyone is trying to achieve, but it's how I would do it. I'm sure there are far more experienced people on the forums that have a better way to skin this particular cat 😁

g53c56.png

• Like 3

On 2/7/2019 at 10:24 PM, Rich_R said:

I answered the original post from work and away from my computer. Now on my PC I pulled up the actual sample that BI offers in the ArmA 3 texture samples for Apex content. The simplest way to get a clean base for retexturing (IMO) is as follows (using photoshop)

• Left Ctrl click on the thumbnail in the layer called 'color' on the bottom, this will highlight all the filled areas of the layer
  • If you're doing a camo you could paste it into the picture and use the 'crawling ants' to copy then paste a cut-out of your camo into a new layer OR
  • Go to Layer>New Fill Layer> Solid color
  • Pick the color you want for your retexture or a suitable base color to overlay with whatever your texture will be (in the example below I picked white)
  • Edit this new layer to take out the bits you don't want!
  • Make sure this new layer is just above the 'color' layer
  • Hide the 'color' layer if needed

This method allows you to use all the dirt layers that come with the sample, something you would have to recreate taking the DePBOing route.

I'm not exactly clear what everyone is trying to achieve, but it's how I would do it. I'm sure there are far more experienced people on the forums that have a better way to skin this particular cat 😁

That method's a great starting point, and I appreciate the advise, but what I'm trying to do is transfer details like this:

8UyVYUK.png

Onto my new colour. The above method is handy, but doesn't transfer that detail across.

On 2/7/2019 at 6:39 AM, DAGGER ARMANET said:

If I am reading you correctly, then what I would do is dePBO the "black" variant texture that exists for the Prowler as it doesn't have the triangular camouflage pattern. It exists because you can choose that texture in the garage. Using the black texture and altering the transfer mode of that layer, that will give you the ability to retain seams, screws etc etc on top of your color/texture changes. The order of those layers in photoshop would be:

Layer Window

Top Layer : The original black texture (but desaturated and adjusting its levels combined with a transfer mode of "screen" or "multiply" or "soft overlay" which will blend it overtop of your new texture and giving you back certain details like screws, seams etc)

Bottom Layer : New color or texture elements you want to introduce.

I generally use this method whenever I'm reverse engineering a template for an asset that doesn't have one, but the problem is that the mud/dirt detailing will grayscale as well and carry over, which I don't want on my this particular texture (I have my own detailing that I have in mind for snowy environments).

• Like 1

Then you may have to do a combination of the two methods. Grab the solid green or solid tan texture which features these details, desaturate, texture accordingly and put this in the bottom layer of the supplied sample underneath the dirt layers etc.

Without going in and playing around with it, that's all I personally can come up with ;)

• Like 1