NhexTurtle

Blue Screen after a few minutes in game

Hi,

So I've been getting a Machine Check Exception While play Arma 3. I already posted the results of my troubleshooting on Steam but support there is scarce. So after a few minutes of playing the game crashes with a blue screen. I've updated every driver for my system. Other games like Battlefield V and Total War Warhammer 2 run on ultra with no problems. Does anybody have any clue of what it might be? The game is unplayable and most of the hours I've spent in game was doing troubleshooting. I've also run 3DMark benchmarks and everything is fine.

My machine:
- MB: Asus Prime Z390M-Plus
- CPU: i5-9600K 
- GPU: MSI RTX2070 ARMOR 8G
- RAM: 16GB

Things I've already tried:
- Making sure all the drivers are up to date (everything is up to date)
- Reinstallling GPU drivers (didn't solve)
- Check CPU temperatures (not an issue)
- Check for CPU Bottleneck (not an issue)

- Run Steam file check (found no problem)

- Reinstalling the game (nope)

- Running RAM on it's lowest speed (didn't solve)

- Running the game on Windows 7 compatibility (didn't solve)

- Reset Windows 10 (didn't solve)

Checked the minidump created with the blue screen. It's something related to intelppm.sys file. No other program, or game is creating this problem.

Do you guys have any more recommendations? It's been tiresome.

• Like 1

Are you running arma with any special launch parameters?

Does the problem also happen in other games?

Have you tried reinstalling arma?

Have you tried repairing or reinstalling windows?

Have you made sure no hardware is damaged?

When you say after a few minutes in game do you mean a few minutes after launching the game or a few minutes after joining a server or playing a mission? 

41 minutes ago, stanhope said:

Have you made sure no hardware is damaged?

Seems like this is a likely option according to wikepedia:

A machine-check exception (MCE) is a type of computer hardware error that occurs when a computer's central processing unit detects an unrecoverable hardware error in the processor itself, the memory, the i/o devices or on the system bus. It is not caused by software.

4 hours ago, stanhope said:

Are you running arma with any special launch parameters? No

Does the problem also happen in other games? No. Total War Warhammer 2 and BFV run for hours, 3D Mark Benchmarks also ran swiftly

Have you tried reinstalling arma? Yes (see above)

Have you tried repairing or reinstalling windows? Yes (see above)

Have you made sure no hardware is damaged? Yes 

When you say after a few minutes in game do you mean a few minutes after launching the game or a few minutes after joining a server or playing a mission? Few minutes after launching the game, I even got a bluescreen on the menu screen.

3 hours ago, GTA Ming Smith said:

Seems like this is a likely option according to wikepedia:

A machine-check exception (MCE) is a type of computer hardware error that occurs when a computer's central processing unit detects an unrecoverable hardware error in the processor itself, the memory, the i/o devices or on the system bus. It is not caused by software.

The error is indeed an hardware error but it's not exclusive of a physical fault. If it was hardware 3DMark Benchmarks and Battlefield V would have killed my computer by now. No diagnostic tool or Windows Event, hint for a problem.

Thanks for your replies. If you guys have any more suggestions please tell me as I don't know what else to do. I'm beliving it's a compatibility issue with my hardware that's for sure. It only happens with Arma. The CPU and GPU are pretty recent. Probably the drivers are faulty for "older" games. I don't know, it's a shame...

EDIT: I've reduced the video options from high to standard. Been playing for the past 1h30 with no crashes. Regarding the bluescreen, it's related with intel hardware (most likely the processor) can you guys help me figure out which video options can cause high processor load? Particles, View Distance and Shadows or should I be focusing on others?

I just developed this same problem. I have been working on mission file to run on a server. When I go to test the scenario, after about five minutes or so in game the screen just turns blue. I can still hear all the in game sounds. I can still see the marker I have placed in game. I can still see my weapon info on the UI, etc. Really strange.

guys i have the same problem

i5 9400f

16gb ram ddr4 2400mhz corsair 

gtx 1660 6gb

550w psu vs550 corsair

my temps are all fine, i m running it on ultra at a steady 60 fps on koth 90+

i experienced this problem mostly on RP and exile and idk what to do

i changed the launch parameters intel tbb4 and all that stuff hopefully it won t happen again

i m kinda scared that my pc is the fault here but all the parts are brand new just bought em 2 weeks ago

On 1/26/2019 at 6:07 PM, NhexTurtle said:

The error is indeed an hardware error but it's not exclusive of a physical fault. If it was hardware 3DMark Benchmarks and Battlefield V would have killed my computer by now. No diagnostic tool or Windows Event, hint for a problem.

Thanks for your replies. If you guys have any more suggestions please tell me as I don't know what else to do. I'm beliving it's a compatibility issue with my hardware that's for sure. It only happens with Arma. The CPU and GPU are pretty recent. Probably the drivers are faulty for "older" games. I don't know, it's a shame...

EDIT: I've reduced the video options from high to standard. Been playing for the past 1h30 with no crashes. Regarding the bluescreen, it's related with intel hardware (most likely the processor) can you guys help me figure out which video options can cause high processor load? Particles, View Distance and Shadows or should I be focusing on others?

shadows is gpu, mostly the object detail is from cpu and the view distance, particles are gpu aswell

12 hours ago, OzzyMeister said:

shadows is gpu, mostly the object detail is from cpu and the view distance, particles are gpu aswell

Whether GPU or CPU is used for something highly depends on your graphic settings.  I've noticed that when I drop my graphic settings from standard to low the load on my CPU increases while my GPU is almost doing nothing. 

Have you ran a hardware test? 

What launch parameters are you running arma with?

Does the problem also happen in other games?
Have you verified your game files?

Have you tried reinstalling arma?

I also having the same problem for months, and trust me guys, it only happen with Arma 3. No other games  I have ever played on this laptop(fallout 4, SkyrimSE, Witcher 3,FarCry4 and 5, CivVI, Assassin'sCreedOrigin and Odyssey, and many more) ever caused BSOD. 

But let's be honest here folks, I play with so many mods(~20) single player only. So what I want to know is, does software conflict ever cause BSOD? I haven't heard it really did to PC as of my knowledge, but about a year of Arma 3 experience make me becoming doubt on it. 

And for you guys to know, it happened on low, standard, high, very high (I usually play), ultra, all of them including customized graphic settings. So it really is bugging to death! 

Please guys I love Arma 3 , and just started learning modding and config thing here and there, but playing for year or two. If some of you ever gone into same faith and repaired it, please do give me an advice or two. Thx

Note: I also kinda remember that it started to happen at 1.72 version of the game. Or maybe comes together with jetDLC? Maybe not.

My usually launch the game with show static background in menu , skip logo at startup, no logs and world (empty) checked. 

Maybe some of that is a culprit? Might be pissed off some of my mods? 

Oh I forgot to mentioned, my BSOD type is "whea_uncorrectable_error" thing.

Just read in Reddit that ×64 patch might be the culprit itself. And + that with outdated mods(32bits dll or something the say) cuz me the problem, so they say.

Currently, I'm forcing my Arma 3 to 32bits with shit loads of mods (+100) with the launcher, and let's see what happens shell we

Edited by Bukain