LuizBarros99

When Will ArmA Terrain Builder Allow To Create Holes/Tunnels?

The title says nearly it all. When will the terrain builder tool allow to make a simple "hole" on the terrain in order to build underground structures without having to completely improvise by lowering the terrain and masking it with other objects? (Also would be nice some objects to use to make tunnels out of them after the hole is done)

This would basically allow to easily create cave systems, tunnel systems. You name it!

Oh, and BTW, thanks for the amazing ArmA 3. I can not wait for ArmA 4! (But please at least if it is not possible to implement this tunneling feature in ArmA 3, have it in ArmA 4...)

3 hours ago, LuizBarros99 said:

create cave systems, tunnel systems.

Hello there LuizBarros99 and welcome also to Bis Forums !

Yes indeed ,

that would be awesome and there certainly would be significant variety in gameplay as well !

The problem doesn't really lie with terrain builder. It is with the game engine. For whatever reason they choose not to implement the feature.  I guess they couldn't figure out how to get it to work properly. Initially in alpha a3 I added the lod into a model and we got the person to go under but not the camera. I think it was scrapped shortly after.  

I agree tho.  Caves and underground structures would be fun.  Probably wreak havoc on the AI though :eh:

• Like 3

Yes , it would really give much to the game !

I remember my surprise playing in Fata for example or some underways in namalsk !

Let's hope for arma 4 !

Yes Namalsk was very well done placing the underground stuff while hiding it with fake terrain 

11 minutes ago, m1lkm8n said:

Yes Namalsk was very well done

Let's see this new one next !

1 hour ago, m1lkm8n said:

Probably wreak havoc on the AI though :eh:

The current implementation of underground structures already does, so what would we lose?

10 minutes ago, GEORGE FLOROS GR said:

Let's see this new one next !

Interesting. I will check this out. However most LIKELY the underground portions were achieved by basically lowering the terrain and covering it with stones or some other object. Or the terrain was not raised while the "terrain over-ground" was being built with objects, etc. This would be basically the opposite-ish way of handling the same issue, however it would most likely still be somewhat buggy + RIP AI...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, LuizBarros99 said:

The current implementation of underground structures already does, so what would we lose?

I'm confused by this comment. I never said anything about losing anything. I just gave you an answer on why we have to use the current method. 

• Like 1

I can't remember where I read it, but BI explicitly stated that underground structures was omitted from Arma 3 because it screwed with the AI. We'll probably have to wait for Arma4/Enfusion for this kinda tech.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a VBS reference (and actually doesn't quite help to answer the OP) but I do remember a sewer/drain tunnel object that you could climb down a ladder and, I think, clip through the terrain into the below structure (the tunnel piece). Again, this was in VBS3, but I always wondered why I'd never seen anything like it in ArmA.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2019 at 8:48 PM, m1lkm8n said:

I'm confused by this comment. I never said anything about losing anything. I just gave you an answer on why we have to use the current method. 

I meant it like "What down side could it have".

On 20/01/2019 at 1:51 AM, beno_83au said:

This is a VBS reference (and actually doesn't quite help to answer the OP) but I do remember a sewer/drain tunnel object that you could climb down a ladder and, I think, clip through the terrain into the below structure (the tunnel piece). Again, this was in VBS3, but I always wondered why I'd never seen anything like it in ArmA.

While definitely not being an ideal implementation, it would definitely be a lot better than currently not having any proper underground ambient

• Like 2

On 1/20/2019 at 3:26 AM, opteryx said:

I can't remember where I read it, but BI explicitly stated that underground structures was omitted from Arma 3 because it screwed with the AI. We'll probably have to wait for Arma4/Enfusion for this kinda tech.

IIRC it was on the forums that one of the programmers stated that, both AI and PhysX were screwed by being below the terrain frame of reference

• Like 2