ArmaFiend

Cargo Ship Project (Static)

Yes, more ships ! The model looks very dramatic :thumbsup:.

Reminds me of -APS-Gnat and his massive ship building operations. Where did he go ? Anyway Altis has a lot of ocean that could be better used its just that the engine has some hiccups when it comes to ships, especially with the AI unless that has been patched since I last looked at this in 2014.

On 2/12/2020 at 10:18 AM, PTV-Jobo said:

Pay no mind to his whining, man. This is the same guy that walked into the USP Gear & Uniforms thread angry they aren't making things quick enough for him and told them to just buy everything so he can have his update quicker. He's not worth it. He's all complaints and nothing more. Typical bottom of the barrel forum troll. 😉

Haha, I know!  I find it funny because when I started this project I thought "Its a ship, just one ship that doesn't have to/can't move.  What a great idea" I had never scripted, written a config, or built anything of significance before I started it. No mods even close.

3 years later, here I am. I have people saying it has bad textures, your right!  I can make better textures now, but this is not just an HD texture of a helmet, it's a giant ship with more texture space to fill than 1 person to make perfect.  I taught myself while building this so... it's all F'd up. UVs have been done so many times I can't keep my head strait. The model is organized in the least efficient and concluded way, even to me.  It's basicly scratches of a mad man who just wanted a ship to shoot pirates on/from. It does have things that no other cargo ship has in Arma, for good reason, it was a bich.  example: Getting hatches over ladders to work took weeks of messing with things,

because ladders will let you climb through things.  Thankfully I found the Ace assault ladder and got ahold of how it worked for my answer, the answer was animate the top ladder memory point with the hatch so you cant climb high enough.

TLDR - Right!

• Like 6

Hey! im a big fan of your mod and have really been enjoying it! I want to use it on my community's server for events and let them see how awesome it is, but we cant since there is no bikey included with the mod for server to use when checking the bisign files included, and idk if you just forgot to include it. If it isnt too much of a hassle for you, if you could just reupload the mod with the public bikey for servers included it would be greatly appreciated!

there's a few important parts missing:

-Funnel

-Main mast

-engine control room

also, most merchant ships have 1 engine only, rooms are also too small.

there also shouldn't be any access under main deck to the bulk carrier's cargo hold.

and yes, that guy was right, textures are bad. you can see through walls and doors.

2 hours ago, YanYatCheng said:

-Funnel

-Main mast

-engine control room

there also shouldn't be any access under main deck to the bulk carrier's cargo hold.

and yes, that guy was right, textures are bad. you can see through walls and doors.

Actually, most modern-built ships are diesel-electric type propulsion which means the engine room will typically have four main diesel generators, a multitude of transformers and breakers panels, and two propulsion motors connected to the shafts. While the now-aging slow speed diesels were a single-engine, they are becoming less attractive and not as likely to build due to the new 2020 maritime emission law. 

@ArmaFiend If you want any photos or help designing the ships let me know. I've spent a little too much of my time on them.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 8:30 AM, HitmanTwoActual said:

Actually, most modern-built ships are diesel-electric type propulsion which means the engine room will typically have four main diesel generators, a multitude of transformers and breakers panels, and two propulsion motors connected to the shafts. While the now-aging slow speed diesels were a single-engine, they are becoming less attractive and not as likely to build due to the new 2020 maritime emission law. 

@ArmaFiend If you want any photos or help designing the ships let me know. I've spent a little too much of my time on them.

I tried to capture the diesel-electric "spirit" with the engines not running to the props but to a generator unit. I put in 2 engines looking at the size of what I had and wanting the engine to span 2 levels(with the cat walk). This was to have an interesting fighting space for CQB that was engine room "like" and not restrictive with Arma. I am working on a ship 2 so consider this me letting you know. The ship will be about half this size to get better detail. If you have photos of just a generic section on metal paint that would help. From my research "rust kills ships" and "paint everything" means there are multiple layers of the "same" paint. That would give me an idea of a texture I am looking for on parts of the ship.

On 7/5/2020 at 6:10 AM, YanYatCheng said:

-Funnel

-Main mast

-engine control room

The room above the engine room can be made into a control room/mechanics room. I have done that in some of my mission. Hence the room sizes.  Access under the main deck is for player to player CQB fun mostly, not complete accuracy.  They are are to cover the movements of people on ships, in real life with containers and decks with cover over them, the lower deck is to replicate that, in an Arma/Ship Variations, friendly style.

2 hours ago, ArmaFiend said:

I tried to capture the diesel-electric "spirit" with the engines not running to the props but to a generator unit. I put in 2 engines looking at the size of what I had and wanting the engine to span 2 levels(with the cat walk). This was to have an interesting fighting space for CQB that was engine room "like" and not restrictive with Arma. I am working on a ship 2 so consider this me letting you know. The ship will be about half this size to get better detail. If you have photos of just a generic section on metal paint that would help. From my research "rust kills ships" and "paint everything" means there are multiple layers of the "same" paint. That would give me an idea of a texture I am looking for on parts of the ship.

Without cluttering up the forums too much, I have attached three of the many photos I have from my most recent ship. The main machinery space can be seen containing two main diesel generators. These generators attach to the main transformers, mechanical power is turned to electrical and is distributed to the main switchboards seen in the engine control room picture. There is more in-between that but it would take a few pages for me to explain haha. I should note, that on the ship, there were two of each space, so there would be two machinery spaces, two engine control rooms, etc.. they are separated by the centerline of the ship and sliding watertight doors connect them. The generators are typically a few decks above the propulsion motors attached to the main shafts. They are connected via the complicated system of electrical wiring/transformers. vUDVBeSkeVADxwmso854uyKTHdpxBRPg5zpb4npPAOGTjxPswjev7kWo9rKBHTSq9zyCWSnVOWKwxvTnPEurTGT5qJI4EfJNcccz1ytnvTgqPzbG0-A38MQc

• Like 1