ArmaFiend

Cargo Ship Project (Static)

Is that something you might be interested in?

In game pictures

Spoiler

Liquid Gas

5L4gLR2.jpg

Bulk Cargo

PDzS3pw.jpg

In Progress Pictures

Spoiler

Oil Tanker

ytQJePy.png

Ship Types = Bulk Cargo, Container Cargo, Oil, Liquid Gas

Current Functionality

Big f$%king Ship

Deck with lower level throughout (Nothing underwater)

Ladders between ship decks with working hatches

Height Adjustable Boarding ramps, port and starboard in eden

Ship Tower with many rooms(CQB hell)

Multiple ship types adjustable in Eden

Working on Functionality(To do before any test release)

Bulk Cargo hull doors need animating and new texture baked

Container cargo has scripting needed and export from blender

Oil Tanker needs LODs and exported from blender

60+ doors needs animating and config done (Learning hit points and glass animation for widows) ps. also doors have window curtains I would like open/closeable. We will see

Windows and window curtains need config and animating done(Trial and error learning will continue)

Texture tweaking and rebakes will  be needed

Escape lifeboat on rear of ship, texture needs work. Either sits on top of water like a balloon or sinks like a rock. Anyone good with boats, I have not had fun getting this to work. May start other thread when I to focus on this more

Control room assets needed

Hull piece 7 is my hate, my devil, and the death of all things good in my life(see below)

I will try to update this now that I feel comfortable enough to tease you all.  I have been working on this for 2 years (no really, started around Jan, 2017).  I haven't been religious at working on it but I also have had to teach myself how to do all this.  I am getting to the point where I can see an end and being able to release this so I am working more and want to know the communities thoughts.  I hope to get more and more motivation from you all and release this over the next month or such.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

This would be incredible. One of the temptations to learn modeling would be to  create a cargo ship to board and raid.

Any suggestions I would have would revolve around making the raid as challenging and fun as possible.

Thank you for this effort.

• Like 2

I like it. reminds me of Cod MW. but I dont see the point of having curtains being interactive. 

The point of the curtains, well, they were easy to add while modeling, and something I have never seen. They may add an interesting dynamic to CQB variability. Even memorizing the floor plan of the tower, sight lines can change depending on open windows on walls and doors. You can close off room windows and hide hostages or pirates.  After the first release, I may add separate tower floor plans to get even more variability. The ship is laid out where the tower interior is a separate object that can be swapped.

TLDR: For fun

I agree with the curtains.

In the HSSV I'm modelling I want to model curtains and animate also the selection in the Shadowvolume and View GEO LOD so the lights in the cargo area are blocked by the curtains.

The main problem with ships is how to access the ship from the water. If it is an static class remember you can add ladders to the model.

Theoretically you could model ladders and hide unhide them with animations os attachto ladders already existing as models in the game.

Sadly that option is not possible in vehicles so I'm trying to find a workaround to enable a ladder in a movable object

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In progress pictures this evening

Spoiler

7xVPvs7.jpg

u9sDXHB.jpg

hR6N8iz.jpg

PDzS3pw.jpg

5L4gLR2.jpg

ytQJePy.png

f3Yss9f.jpg

nWiZ2VH.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, mankyle said:

I agree with the curtains.

In the HSSV I'm modelling I want to model curtains and animate also the selection in the Shadowvolume and View GEO LOD so the lights in the cargo area are blocked by the curtains.

The main problem with ships is how to access the ship from the water. If it is an static class remember you can add ladders to the model.

Theoretically you could model ladders and hide unhide them with animations os attachto ladders already existing as models in the game.

Sadly that option is not possible in vehicles so I'm trying to find a workaround to enable a ladder in a movable object

I had to change ladder positions with an animation. In order to get the ladders for the hull to work with a hatch the ladder end position moves with the hatch.  When the hatch is closed there is no ladder only from the top, when the hatch is open the ladder extends to where the hatch is. ACE assault ladder taught me that config and I dissected that to get my model config is what you will see.  Shadow  LOD is where I am lacking but, I get the concept and will work on that when I have a few drinks and can handle the monotony

I will have ladders for assault and with those Ladder animations I can experimenting with variable sea level assault ladders

The ramps have their roadway LOD extended past the view to facilitate water on boarding and variable entrance locations. I am working on multiple ship assault options.

I am only working on this as a static object which makes ship boarding easy.

This is something I thought would be cool back on ARMA 2 and I'm really happy you are making this!

• Like 1

If you need help with the textures I would be pleased to help you, nice project with a big potential! :thumb_down:

• Like 1

A reason I created this was also to note things to the public while I worked. Example:

The ships spawn height is at the minimum draft. So the ship will not have water visible at normal wave height.

With giant waves or to show a higher draft due to an empty ship, you should move the ship higher. The boarding ladder with the mod will adjust to sea level height(currently implementing).

Looks good. Keep it up!

We all know how time consuming and frustrating it can be. I've stated in the past how I think one of the biggest holes in this game is the lack of Boats and Ships. We would all love to see more (static) Ships. Its hard to role-play as a Frogman when there's no ships to board. Always excited to see more naval projects.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Von Quest said:

Looks good. Keep it up!

We all know how time consuming and frustrating it can be. I've stated in the past how I think one of the biggest holes in this game is the lack of Boats and Ships. We would all love to see more (static) Ships. Its hard to role-play as a Frogman when there's no ships to board. Always excited to see more naval projects.

Thanks!! I am looking forward to playing with this too. The hardest part is the size. I am currently at 23 objects just for the basic ship and that will go up now that I know there is an animation bone limit on objects. :sad: 

Plus all the add on parts such as bridge computers, escape boats, assault ladders, and gally objects.

3 hours ago, Von Quest said:

Looks good. Keep it up!

I love your projects,Von Quest, and I agree there is a lack of naval vessels in the game. Unfortunately there are several limiting factors regarding the succesful implementation of naval vessels ingame.

The two most important  are:

- GEO/Road LOD limit of 72 meters.

- no PHYSx for man class

Other limiting factors are:

- hardcoded limits in diving/surfacing speed for submarines.

- Man class behaviour below water.

Vessels like the M80 stiletto, the Sea Lance catamaran corvette or the SMX 26 Caiman littoral submarine would be very adequate projects for Arma 3. Those are naval vessels adapted for the littoral environment.

Meanwhile we will have to console ourselves with static ships....

I'm eager to try a HALO insertion at night in your ship, Arma 

Fiend. Or if you model a ferry/passenger ship we could do hostage rescue missions.

• Like 1

Thank's Mankyle!

I needed something to reference door and window locations while I work. For you all, that means you get to see the towers floor plan.

Floor Plans

Spoiler

Level 1

yoZpkDO.png

Level 2

ijTD3bl.png

Level 3

acaPglR.png

Level 4

acaPglR.png

Level 5

QBjvz5z.png

Level 6

nKCE8nI.png

Level 7

3Qg8Bcw.png

• Thanks 1

I have been implementing the windows and currtains. These will have the glass.rvmat and cloth applied.  I will test to see if AI can see through them. Currently glass is working as expected and shadders correctly. The path LOD in the tower has been tested just in the first floor and half the AI used it with the ship place in a vr envirment, the other half walk through the walls and fell.  With the amount of separate peices I think AI in the tower may be hard to do.  I may work on that after I have something to put out and you can use static AI unit while I test.

Looks great so far. Hope you can finish it and make it look like it belongs into the game.

Great work so far! From my own experience Arma always takes longer and is harder than you expect. Keep at it! Really looking forward to seeing these in action.

I have sent off a PBO to my brother to do some testing and I have been fixing issues I have found. Everything is working great so far and I am happy with how things are coming along. I have the tower config done, windows, doors, and curtains are working as expected.  The Eden attributes are working great but I may need to do some type of Dialog for window and door Eden animation control. Still working on boarding ladder spawning around the ship edge.  You can climb the anchor chain if its down and go prone climb to the deck through the hole for the chain.  Tried some static AI in the tower, they shot through the walls 😩 . Check out some progress pics below!

First ladder created(for testing)

Spoiler

9kaL15R.png

Upgraded Ladder!

Spoiler

cUuLbeW.png

Inital Spawn State

Spoiler

yVZaoAY.jpg

Current Eden Attributes

Spoiler

QRoXLyx.jpg

Set Eden Attributes

Spoiler

5KhFduO.jpg

View of Selections

Spoiler

75KXAdY.jpg

• Like 17

Copied from steam comments:

Hi Friends,
Yup, no .bisign files. for explanation please see first line of the MOD's Description on steam "Work in Progress Release"
If you have wanted this on your server you should look back at the issues found by commentators here. This iteration is NOT a full and finished mod... yet.  To say that I figured out all parts before release is over estimating a self taught, first mod release, and still learning creator.  IE: see through doors.
That said -
I have started to go though all issues you have noted here. I am working on the next iteration. Most issues I hope to have fixed, though not textures. I currently use opensource free tillable textures, because, well, they are free! and easy! Someday they may change.

TeTeTe3 has gave great feed back, Thanks! I know I have talked to you on the BI forums years ago though I have used your knowledge to add to mine. GO NIMITZ!

HaroldTheNorse has informed me on unwritten rules for funzies and done great job at testing. You can half blame him for changes to object classes coming. (THESE WILL BREAK MISSIONS)
     You can blame the other half on me for innocent ignorance and perhaps not nailing down how much this first release was a "WORK IN PROGRESS RELEASE" edition.

The next release will be less of work in progress and more of a first release of a mod. Cleaned up, proper object naming, and conex box eden spawning with memory points.  I am working on the next release and will have more info as it comes together.

P.S. Reminder- I released this because I was tired of being the only one testing it out. I said F-it lets see what people think before I do more work, and not just to keep this for myself. Thank-you all for your help and feedback. I have more of you than the above 2 users on my issues log and will respond to you more as I go.

• Like 3

On 12/24/2019 at 11:17 PM, Predator14 said:

textur is very bad

I think the author has made it pretty clear it is:

On 5/7/2019 at 12:36 PM, ArmaFiend said:

NOT a full and finished mod... yet.

Or is blurting something you can't yet control?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/24/2019 at 9:17 AM, Predator14 said:

textur is very bad

If you would like to make one for me, I am up for it.

18 hours ago, ArmaFiend said:

If you would like to make one for me, I am up for it.

Pay no mind to his whining, man. This is the same guy that walked into the USP Gear & Uniforms thread angry they aren't making things quick enough for him and told them to just buy everything so he can have his update quicker. He's not worth it. He's all complaints and nothing more. Typical bottom of the barrel forum troll. 😉

• Like 1