BD1FA4F5F318CD4EB79F12E2FB426B8B024BE8E8

What is CODI_MORTAR?

CODI_MORTAR adds an Artillery Computer that calculates firesolutions using mortar coordinates, target coordinates and adjustments.

Youtube

Should I try CODI_MORTAR?

If you like the basic Artillery Computer provided by Arma 3 then you might not want to try this.

If you like realism and like to give indirect firesupport without line of sight then you might try this.

Is it complex?

It is as easy as it could be made. But there is no MapClickShit.

How do I use it?

There are 2 modes of operation.

One for GRID mode where target location is known and a POLAR mode where a forward observer tells you his position and you adjust the target from his position.

In each mode the mortar position need to be entered or you click on the first "me" button to automatically fill in the correct values of the current position of the player.

GRID:

By opening the map and interpolating the position of the enemy to ~10 m you enter its coordinates and aproximate height in meters into the computer.

9AED21A7F867F6A10001DAC28B08D22AAAAEB647

The computer calculates the firesolution which can be used in the mortar to shoot at the target.

B7C7B3274E739F6D7FDB0107276358D5B0037DCD

Adjust your mortar and fire.

50D7D5B5144565696622DF32562E1466FDA4B2C7

POLAR:

By opening the map and interpolating the position of the forward oberserver to ~10 m you enter its coordinates and aproximate height in meters into the computer.

F3E70C47148F6DAEB86C722F1CF6DACC37A7316F

The forward observer needs you to give the azimut to the target in degree as well as the elevation to the target also in degree and the distance to the target in meters. You need to enter all those values into the computer. If you dont, you will shoot at your forward observers position!

8EC34495EEBD781C1AAE06EC5AD718BE5CDFC717

The computer calculates the firesolution which can be used in the mortar to shoot at the target.

EFE7485200324DC590DB1D7BF178D4F08ABCC7CE

Adjust your mortar and fire.

50D7D5B5144565696622DF32562E1466FDA4B2C7

Yeah you got me, the mortar aims 1 MIL beside and 1 MIL to low (It is the same image as in the GRID mode)

If you missed your target due to wrong aiming or positions and the forward observer saw the impact he can give you an adjustment like "45° 100m". If you enter those values you might hit your target on the second attempt. 

YOU DO NOT NEED TO PRESS THE "Adjust DST" BUTTON!!!

If your Observer has multiple corrections you can click the button to change your DST values so you can use the adjustment again relative to the last adjustment if wanted.

If you are fast enough you can remember Time On Target (TOT) after shooting with charge 2 then recalculate with charge 1 (will be faster due to lower angle) and time the shots using TOT to have simultaneous impacts.

The computer ignores wind. AFAIK ACE also ignores wind for large calibers.

What Speed do I need to enter?

Depends. Default Mortar shoots with charge 0: 70 m/s, charge 1: 140 m/s and charge 2: 200 m/s

Am I high?

Normally you can hit a target with 2 different angles: a low one and a high angle. Mortars have a very high minimum angle so you will probably never need the low firesolution but just in case...

How to setup a mission using the script?

Copy the "CODI" folder into your mission.

init.sqf:

[] call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "CODI\MORTAR\preInit.sqf";
enableEngineArtillery false;
if (hasInterface) then
{
	waitUntil{!isNull player};
	private _mortar = ["Open MortarComputer", "Open MortarComputer", "", {createDialog "CODI_Mortar_GUI";}, {true}, {}, [], "", 10] call ace_interact_menu_fnc_createAction;
	[player, 1, ["ACE_SelfActions"], _mortar] call ace_interact_menu_fnc_addActionToObject;
};

description.ext:

#include "CODI\MORTAR\dialogs.hpp"

What weapons are supported?

All that you enter in the CODI\MORTAR\preInit.sqf in the variable CODI_Mortar_weapons

Keep in mind you need to enter the WEAPONclass not the VEHICLEclass!

I Like Artysupport but no one likes to play Arty...

Change CODI\MORTAR\preInit.sqf CODI_Mortar_fireEnabled to true. Then you can click FIRE as often and fast as you like and a shell will be created at the specified artillery coordinates.

Download:

Dropbox

Required Addons:

ACE

License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Nice to see you're back! :)

I will definitely give this a try.

@Belbo

Nice, that people remember me!

I had a long break from Arma and now I am back.

@Moderator

This is a script and not an Addon.

I hope it is ok to post it here because the Threads in "ARMA 3 - MISSION EDITING & SCRIPTING" were more technically and less a completed project.

On 19.1.2019 at 3:06 AM, GEORGE FLOROS GR said:

Thank you very much Coding42 for the release !

Your are welcome

I will post a small update tomorrow as well as a video of the useage.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, mihal190 said:

It should work with m252 from RHS?

It works with each weaponsystem as long as you know its projectilespeed, it has no drag-/windeffects and the mortar shows you azimuth/elevation in MIL in worldcoordinates (not relative to the vehicle, shich makes absolutly no sense for artillery).

looks like solid work - great job :thumbs-up:

1 hour ago, .kju said:

looks like solid work - great job :thumbs-up:

nice to hear :)

small update:

added dispersion

changed speed buttons to one listbox

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hotfix (i was too dumb to check the code after cleaning up...)

added option to lock the src when using the simulated mortar

• Thanks 1