Shooting vanilla ARMA fish is boring and looks stupid because dead fish just freeze in place.  But now we can MAFGA--Make Arma Fishing Great Again--with JBOY_SpearGun!!!

Features:

• Converts SDAR into a SDart gun!
  • SDAR shoots fish with a small spear/harpoon (big thanks to @BadBensonfor the harpoon .p3d object!)
  • Fish bleeds, squirms for awhile, and sinks
  • Fish can be be taken by player, and a fish count variable is maintained for the shooter.  This fish count variable can then be used later by other scripts for player to eat fish (for a survival scenario), or sell or trade fish as an item (if someone else wants to modify their trade scripts to include these fish).
  • No Mods required!
  • Works on ambient fish and fish created via script (createAgent)
  • Does NOT work on turtles.  I don't know why.  But only jerks shoot sea turtles anyway!  :)
  • Does NOT impale AI units.  When AI goes ragdoll, mempoint positions no longer mean anything, so its impossible to make harpoon stay impaled in a unit.  Which is sad, because we would all love to turn an AI diver into a pin cushion!

Access the Fish Count variable for a unit:

If you are scripting a survival scenario, or a trade scenario, you can access the number of fish the player has as shown in following code snippet.

_fishTaken = player getVariable ["JBOY_FishTaken",0];
hint format ["You have %1 fish.",_fishTaken];

Credits:

• @BadBenson for cool barbed harpoon object.  Thanks bro!  (Sorry I took so long to publish it...)
  • @HallyGfor awesome blood effects script.  Thanks HallyG!  I use your scripts in a lot of my stuff, and really appreciate the help.

Sample mission to put in Editor:   ZipFile of mission directory

Steam Link to play demo mission:  Demo Mission

Enjoy!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

johnnyboy !

i was about to seach for a spearfishing game , but now i thing that i will spend some time on how to do this in arma!

Thank you very much for sharing !

Thanks also to @BadBenson and @HallyG  !

Have you got in mind to make a script for fish etc ?

(i remember that you were doing something !)

2 minutes ago, GEORGE FLOROS GR said:

Have you got in mind to make a script for fish etc ?

(i remember that you were doing something !)

Thanks GidaBoy!   Yes, I have a Fish School script that is almost ready.  But I am leaving on vacation for 2 weeks, so I won't publish it until after that (probably 3 or 4 weeks).  With this script, a school of fish will travel from point A to point B.  Or a school can continuously circle around a fixed position (radius of circle set by a parameter, and type of fish set by parameter).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Does NOT impale AI units

Damn...that's the first thing that came to my mind when I read "speargun"....

LOL..congrats for the release J-Boy!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ps : For the ai , try to  create a #particlesource and attach it it to ai and attach the spear there .

ex :

_particlesource = "#particlesource" createVehicle [0,0,0];	
_particlesource attachTo [_this, [0,0,0]];

• Thanks 1

Wonderful work JB, a perfect reason too get wet! (and a perfect reason to give my Animals Module an underwater update.) 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, GEORGE FLOROS GR said:

if you haven't already lineIntersectsSurfaces , so it will create the object exacly at the aimpoint.

That is probably a good idea for the fish spears.  For AI its all bets off once the guy goes ragdoll.   The spear can appear one meter away.

• Like 1

On 14/1/2019 at 4:58 AM, johnnyboy said:

For AI its all bets off once the guy goes ragdoll.   The spear can appear one meter away.

I 'll try if i can to check this as well and see if i can find a way , but to be honest i'm sure that there are more persons to help !

Let's make more progress in arma 3 !

On 16/1/2019 at 11:15 AM, Valken said:

Would be awesome to capture those as well - finally! :D

It really would be !

Have you tested this Valken ?

Hi guys, I was gone for a 10 day unplugged vacation, so just reading posts now...

On 1/16/2019 at 1:15 AM, Valken said:

Awesome! Does this work with the SHARKS from Feint and B@Co:

The script in current form would not work with shark mods.  Its doable, but would take some work.

On 1/18/2019 at 6:09 PM, GEORGE FLOROS GR said:

I 'll try if i can to check this as well and see if i can find a way , but to be honest i'm sure that there are more persons to help !

Thanks George.

• Like 1

I've released the new JBOY Fish School script now.  It includes the latest version of JBOY Spear Gun.  I will support the Spear Gun script under the Fish School thread from now on, as I don't want to maintain 2 versions of the script in 2 sample missions.

• Thanks 1