JohnKalo

Video Formats Implementation

So in my WIP campaign there are videos I use in a variety of places. For those of you who do not know only .ogv formats are permitted in Arma.

When it comes to showing videos on in-game screens such as tvs there is no problem but when it comes to showing videos as intros the quality is not good. It is watchable but not good. So as far as I can understand the reason why only .ogv formats are used is due to size? but  maybe that should be up to the editor. If his mission is big in size or not.

So why not let mp4 video formats be used? Much better quality and the format people tend to use for videos.

• Like 2

On 12.1.2019 at 4:30 PM, JohnKalo said:

why only .ogv formats are used is due to size

I'd say more ease of implementation than size.

Also afaik you need to pay patent fee's for H264 (I assume that's what you mean by mp4) decoders that are used commercially (FYI Arma is a commercial product).

• Like 1

Did not know that to be honest. Seeing free software like AVC offer multiple video formats I never thought there would be extra fees. Hmm.. wonder what other companies use for their high quality videos.

Bink is a very widely used format. Also not free. But I think bink would work very well for Arma, maybe even better than H264. Creating bink videos is free so easily useable by missionmakers/modders.

But I have no idea what the pricing is.

Well until something changes I will have the .ogv videos in place while keeping the high quality ones waiting. 

Although I doubt anything will change soon if it is about money too. BI developers seem to be caught up with building their new engine. It should take months or years and if a new game does not come out BI might have an income issue.