Riksen

Tactical Wrist

TACTICAL WRIST ADDON:

This addon was born as a result of my frustration to the fact that one could pull up the wrist watch view without actually having a watch on. Several mods out there display characters with a wrist watch, GPS, and other eye candy stuff on the wrist but they are mostly "private mods". I've tried without success to contact the individuals with such mods and never got a response. So I figured I would go ahead and do it myself. Both models were done by me in 3ds Max and took about 1 week to be completed as I had no idea how to work the software and kinda had to learn as I went on. I did use a template for the wrist watch (https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/watch-brands-x-free/889252) that I modified to reduce the polygons and also was my first experience with 3ds Max. If you are going to do something like this one day, I totally recommend getting one completed 3d model to learn the process. The Garmin Foretrex 401 was done from scratch after I learned a lot form the watch creation. I did use the one in the 75th Rangers mod Hawaiian & Siege-A (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1171952244) as size reference ONLY (see my 3ds max pics below). In the end my Garmin Foretrex ended up having around 8000 polygons so I had to redesign it to lose some polygons and fit better with the Arma 3 engine (this was my first ever model completely done by me - YYYAAAYYY!).

Garmin Foretrex 401:

xZiJNGN.png

Wrist Watch:

QnUnnyl.png

In game:

Watch alone:

v47ALoG.png

Garmin and Watch together:

kpOUBRy.png

IWTLEJ5.png

Contents:

- Wrist Watch (in facewear and NVG slots);

- Garmin alone (in facewear and NVG slots);

- Combo with both of them together ((in facewear and NVG slots).

License:
As you can see, this project took a considerable amount of time, especially because I had to learn the basics of 3ds Max and it is free for you to use. I only ask that if you are going to include in your mod or make any changes to any part of this addon that acknowledge all the work I put in and credit me where credit is due. In general, I ask that you, please, abide to the following:

- Do not use this material for any commercial purposes;
- Attribute the material in the manner specified above (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the material);
- If you adapt, or build upon this material, you may distribute the resulting material only under the same license;
- Do not re-upload to steam workshop or anywhere else without prior consent from me.

Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19iezHYmn1Xg8xWV-PGfYAsHeZ40U3uXN

Please do not re-upload the mod anywhere (including steam).

I'll post better pics later ...

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

nice! I too have had the same dilemma you described, so this is great. for a first model, that garmin looks pretty damn good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great job! Like you, its been frustrating to see similar projects never come to fruition. However, you did something about it!

Congrats!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Next update will include the following:

armboard3_1024x1024.jpg?v=1481643081

• Like 5

Wow your operator's income is pretty high as he can aford to buy an Fortis watch... LOL

Isn't a casio watch more realistic?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jacobs said:

Wow your operator's income is pretty high as he can aford to buy an Fortis watch... LOL

Isn't a casio watch more realistic?

LoL .... true ... I'll reskin it with the next update

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Riksen said:

LoL .... true ... I'll reskin it with the next update

Don't bother, it was just a joke! The watch is pretty well made. Thanks!

I would've suggested a wristcoach but it looks like you already beat me to it. very cool.

• Like 1

And here I thought I was the only one to put a garmin gps in the nvg slot. Haha

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Riksen said:

Next update will include the following:

armboard3_1024x1024.jpg?v=1481643081

Bro, I can't wait for your update. Been wanting that tactical wrist coach for a long time.  

• Like 3

Update guys:

4Hx2B29.png

Sorry it took me this long to do it. My computer went kaput and I lost the previous model I was working on so I had to start all over again ... Anyways, here is the new combination that is in the oven. The forearm map thing is, however, very stiff on his arm and it does not quit follow the forearm and wrist animation. I'm trying to figure out how to fix that still so if anyone has nay suggestion or can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it 🙂

• Like 12

Your pictures remind me of historic pictures of soldiers wearing four wristwatches (from slain enemies..) 🙂 

Nice addition! Thanks for taking the time. Little details like this make a huge difference.

What helmets are in the screenshots?

Additional WIP gear:

Forearm Bandage

BBTa3xk.png

Paracord Bracelet:

VXJsnAS.png

Forearm Tactical Map:

MAJWnI8.png

I was able to fix the way the forearm map moves with the arm (had to learn to weight the model in Oxygen which was not the best experience lol). I still need to get the colors right and how it responds to light and all that but it works for now. The object can get distorted with some weapons but it works for most of them. It looks specially good with long barrel weapons and it would go really well with a range card texture for snipers and all ....

Anyways, that's all I have for now ... Let me know what you guys think.

• Like 10

Will the forearm tactical map come in Black and OD Green as well to go along with the multicam? And is it possible to give more spacing between the Forearm tactical map and wrist watch? Not much at all, but like an inch or two up the forearm.  Also, are you going to have it set up where we could wear the Garmin, wrist watch, and the forearm tactical map at the same time like in the pic or will they come in multiple combinations?   Your work looks great and looking forward to the release. I've stopped playing until the release of your addon just to set everything up and being fully satisfied with my units.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bugkill said:

Will the forearm tactical map come in Black and OD Green as well to go along with the multicam? And is it possible to give more spacing between the Forearm tactical map and wrist watch? Not much at all, but like an inch or two up the forearm.  Also, are you going to have it set up where we could wear the Garmin, wrist watch, and the forearm tactical map at the same time like in the pic or will they come in multiple combinations?   Your work looks great and looking forward to the release. I've stopped playing until the release of your addon just to set everything up and being fully satisfied with my units.

Sorry for the delay. Yes, I want to implement hidden selection to the models (not sure how it is done but I think I know how to) so you will be able to retexture them as you want. I also moved it slightly higher as suggested (thank you). They will come in multiple combinations like the watch alone, watch + garmin, watch + Garmin + forearm map, and watch + forearm bandage. I want to contact the owners of the other models as well and, if they let me, include these combos with shemaghs, face masks, and balaclavas as well ... Sorry I'm slow with all of this 😞

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2019 at 9:04 AM, AirShark said:

they appear only in 3d person view ??

Sorry for the delay (huge delay I would say) in responding. I corrected the missing gear in 1st person view but I havent had much time to work on the mod lately, unfortunately. I managed to make a combo with gloves as well and they fit well with the "RR JSOC Uniforms" which currently lack gloves.

08JB7qS.png

Problem is having the time to work through all the combos in the damn config files 😞

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yikes, how are the LODs on these? I think the watch itself is higher poly than the entire character model.

7 hours ago, Fros7bite said:

Yikes, how are the LODs on these? I think the watch itself is higher poly than the entire character model.

You are probably right and I have to learn how to keep these managable in the future. Until I get better at it, this is what I have to offer. Sorry 😞

@Riksen No need to apologize! It's great you're doing this! Take a look at how low poly the Bohemia Interactive examples are. I think they managed to bang out a watch with only something like 20 polygons.