Da Antz

Dedicated Server Build (NEWB)

Hello guys,

I am VERY new to servers but have some experience building PCs.

Just wondering if I could just get an old tray server from eBay and stick an OS on it to run a dedicated server from. The server would be for co-op missions (PvE with AI) for up to around 32 players.

I've been looking at an old Dell PowerEdge R710 server with 2 x Intel Xeon X5680s, 2 x 300GB SAS HDDs, 12 x 4GB DDR3 1600MHz memory cards. Would the old machine be enough or am I missing something?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

It's nothing special. I would think it will struggle for the type of mission you describe. Overall, the X5680 is not a bad CPU, but as an ARMA 3 server, the power of the individual cores lets it down.

3 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

It's nothing special. I would think it will struggle for the type of mission you describe. Overall, the X5680 is not a bad CPU, but as an ARMA 3 server, the power of the individual cores lets it down.

Thanks for the reply!

Is there like a minimum spec server build you could recommend? (to be able to comfortably run a server as described and maybe more). ie Mobo, CPU, Mem, etc, etc. I can't seem to find much info in the way of builds that work well with Arma.

Thanks again for the reply.

Really you're looking at something with a high core speed, not a lot of cores. Xeons tend not to perform well as ARMA game servers for this reason. Good webservers, yes. Less good for this.

• Like 1

Brilliant! Thanks for all the help and advice mate. Ill have a look at better power-per-core CPUs.

• Like 1