gc8

Detect enterable buildings

Hi

I'm looking for a way to detect enterable buildings. Now i know there are few threads and "solutions" about this but none work perfectly so I'm asking if anyone knows way to do this properly?

Here's what I have tried:

• BIS_fnc_isBuildingEnterable --- Doesn't work because it returns bridges and canal pieces in stratis
  • getNumber (configfile >> "CfgVehicles" >> typeOf _x >> "numberOfDoors") --- Only works on buildings that have doors and excludes buildings that have exits but no doors
  • (_x buildingExit 0) --- Same as BIS_fnc_isBuildingEnterable

So that's what I have tried. Any other ideas? :)

thx!

The best way I found is to check the number of buildingPos. You might need some kind of filtering, since (if I remember right) a couple objects such as those big metal containers have a few buildingPos - I usually check if there's a roof x meters above at least one position.

• Like 2

@haleks Sounds like that could work but then there's the performance question, hmmm

I use this in Ravage mod, and the performance cost is minimal.

Still, if you're worrying about that, you could check the vehicles config at mission start to create a ready-to-use list of enterable buildings. ;)

I think those buildingPos are present in the configs (now that I think of it, I might just do that for the Ravage mod).

18 hours ago, haleks said:

The best way I found is to check the number of buildingPos. You might need some kind of filtering, since (if I remember right) a couple objects such as those big metal containers have a few buildingPos - I usually check if there's a roof x meters above at least one position.

I agree. I am doing that like this:

private _posASL = [];
	private _buldingPositions = (_building buildingPos -1) select {
		_posASL = (AGLToASL _x);
		_posASL params ["_vx","_vy","_vz"];
		(count (lineIntersectsObjs [_posASL, [_vx,_vy,(_vz + 20)]]) > 0)
	};

By the way, thanks for your ravage mod i am currently looking it around.- very nice scripted mod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

What performance question?

Well you know all those lineintersect calls you have to make. if house has 10 positions and there's 50 houses in town your code has to make 500 intersect calls. So I would prefer another way :)

52 minutes ago, gc8 said:

Well you know all those lineintersect calls you have to make. if house has 10 positions and there's 50 houses in town your code has to make 500 intersect calls. So I would prefer another way :)

Just check once for every unique house className on the map upon mission start via preInit or postInit.

Cheers

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Just check once for every unique house className on the map upon mission start via preInit or postInit.

Cheers

Good idea. But how many unique houses there are? Could still be a big check. Is preinit fast way to run scripts?

1 hour ago, gc8 said:

Grumpy has the best solution.

But I'm curious. How would you solve the problem with lineintersect?

18 minutes ago, engima said:

But I'm curious. How would you solve the problem with lineintersect?

line intersect up to see if there's roof. I think this is what we are talking about here :)

2 hours ago, gc8 said:

For loots, I'm using a nearest house script (not nearestBuilding) to spawn on the fly, things for player(s). As it's for loot, I can despawn them after a "deserted" time.

49 minutes ago, gc8 said:

line intersect up to see if there's roof. I think this is what we are talking about here :)

Of course. Didn't think about that. Well, Grumpy's solution probably have an execution time under a second (I haven't tested though). You need a very special reason to save that time on mission startup. Also note that preInit is unscheduled environment, and runs *a lot* faster than usual scheduled code.