I need help for increasing my FPS in ArmA 2

Hi to all!

I need some help with optimizing ArmA 2 in order to increase the FPS but with some good visual quality too.

My rig is:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.40 GHz CPU

Nvidia Gigabyte 9400 GT 1 GB GDDR2 (overclocked)

4 GB DDR 2  @ 400 MHz RAM

the game installed on 840 EVO SSD

Win 7 64 bit OS

HD LCD Monitor (1366x768 resolution)

I know that my PC is too old,but I am very poor at this moment and I can't afford a better one!

So please help me.

I need help with setting the optimal settings in Nvidia Control Panel,then some help with installing some patches or something simmilar in order to improve the FPS at nice video quality.

Thanks to all in advance.

Best regards.

Only the judicious application of magic or credit card is going to do what you want.

5 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

Only the judicious application of magic or credit card is going to do what you want.

Thank you for replying!

But I would please you to help me as far as you can, I know that I need a better and newer PC,but what can I do?

Please answer to my question.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I would suggest following this guide to optimize Arma as much as possible with the unit specs.

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=6713

I would set your graphics options all to the lowest settings with those specs, also set your resolution to the lowest possible, maybe 1024x768, FPS lag spikes will kill you in action no doubt.

Hope this helps.

5 minutes ago, JOHN007 said:

Hello,

I would suggest following this guide to optimize Arma as much as possible with the unit specs.

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=6713

I would set your graphics options all to the lowest settings with those specs, also set your resolution to the lowest possible, maybe 1024x768, FPS lag spikes will kill you in action no doubt.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for replying and understanding of my situation!

BTW if you find an additional guide I would please you to give me a link of it.

Thank you very much again.

Hello,

May I ask what is your CPU fan brand? If you have a decent CPU fan, I would suggest in overclocking the CPU to 3GHZ.

You could find a cheap Socket 775 CPU fan on Ebay, a duel fan design.

Arma 2 is a CPU intensive application.

Just now, JOHN007 said:

Hello,

May I ask what is your CPU fan brand? If you have a decent CPU fan, I would suggest in overclocking the CPU to 3GHZ.

You could find a cheap Socket 775 CPU fan on Ebay, a duel fan design.

Arma 2 is a CPU intensive application.

Thank you for replying! 

My CPU is Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.40 GHz

Hi

I am sorry to say there is not much room for improvement, mainly because of the Core 2 Q6600 speed and now obsolete efficiency.

Since OFP [Arma: Cold WarAssault], FPS are strictly a CPU job, only the fastest and the most efficient ones cant get a ... well, fully enjoyable FPS level.

So you will always have a FPS limitation, the only way around being to play with a limited view distance, probably 1000/1500m.

Please don't do anything in Nvidia Control Panel, dont use GeForce Experience, do not download any tool, patch or magic stuff.

Lowering graphic quality will not help you to get a higher FPS level, you will just get an ugly game, but I believe that default must be set on "Low", due to the extreme low performances of 9400 GT 1 GB GDDR2 graphic card.

Use only the game control panel !

In the Advanced Control panel do not touch default "Video memory" parameter.

Disable VSync and Post process effect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldbear said:

Hi

I am sorry to say there is not much room for improvement, mainly because of the Core 2 Q6600 speed and now obsolete efficiency.

Since OFP [Arma: Cold WarAssault], FPS are strictly a CPU job, only the fastest and the most efficient ones cant get a ... well, fully enjoyable FPS level.

So you will always have a FPS limitation, the only way around being to play with a limited view distance, probably 1000/1500m.

Please don't do anything in Nvidia Control Panel, dont use GeForce Experience, do not download any tool, patch or magic stuff.

Lowering graphic quality will not help you to get a higher FPS level, you will just get an ugly game.

Use only the game control panel !

What would you suggest to me about the CPU OC?

Yes, if you know how to do some OC, it will help!

But be advised that an overclocked Core 2 Q6600 will need extra cooling.

I have just play for a test A2:Arrowhead on the R3 2200G/RX 460 4GB combo/8 GB DDR4 3000 I have on my bench.

In game Arma2:OA is using more than 4GB, it means that on your config, game is using Virtual Memory.

During my test I get over 80% Virtual Memory load

So, I will also suggest adding some DDR2 to the already 4 GB DDR 2 "en place".

There also a not too expensive way to help to have better graphic quality, adding  a GT 1030 2GB DDR5 [probably 1000x more effective than your GPU], it will not help getting FPS, but the game will be less ugly.

I know it works fine, I can play Arma3 on a Pentium G4560/GT 1030/8GB rig.

Edited by oldbear
English is not my maternal language, but you already know that
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, oldbear said:

Yes, if you know how to do some OC, it will help!

But be advised that an overclocked Core 2 Q6600 will need extra cooling.

I have just play for a test A2:Arrowhead on the R3 2200G/RX 460 4GB combo/8 GB DDR4 3000 I have on my bench.

In game Arma2:OA is using more than 4GB, it means that on your config, game is using Virtual Memory.

During my test I get over 80% Virtual Memory load

So, I will also suggest adding some DDR2 to the already 4 GB DDR 2 "en place".

There also a not too expensive way to help to have better graphic quality, adding  a GT 1030 2GB DDR5 [probably 1000x more effective than your GPU], it will not help getting FPS, but the game will be less ugly.

I know it works fine, I can play Arma3 on a Pentium G4560/GT 1030/8GB rig.

Dear oldbear,thank you very much!

About my CPU cooling,I have an aftermarket cooler for my CPU.

About buying a new video card,I already wrote on my thread that I am very poor at the moment and I can't afford better and newer hardware, I have to adapt to to my current situation.

And about the RAM memory,my mobo is Foxconn G31MXP,and it supports Max of 4 GB DDR2. 

I understand the problem of the limited budget, but you must know that the 9400 GT 1 GB GDDR2 GPU was not matching minimum A2:OA requirements.

So, even if you can find a GeForce 8600GT or an ATI 3650, matching the official Minimum, it will be better.  

• Like 1

I don't want to be mean and I accept my initial post was flippant, but guys, let's be honest nothing is going to improve this chaps system unless he can replace almost all of it.

Overclocking this cpu is not going to transform it in any way, shape or form.

Telling him to overclock is just getting his hopes up when deep down, we all know it's going to make no difference.

As i said earlier only a miracle or a credit card can fix this and he's got neither.

Thanks to all for understanding of my situation.

If someone has some another good advice for me ,I mean about tweaking of my system for optimal performance I would please him to tell me.

Thanks to all in advance. :)

If you think that ignoring what you are being told and asking for other advice in the hope that someone else has a miraculous solution for your 14 year old CPU, then I'm afraid you are deluding yourself.

Sorry if you don't like that, but repeatedly asking for more advice when you've already had the best is quite disrespectful.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

2 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

If you think that ignoring what you are being told and asking for other advice in the hope that someone else has a miraculous solution for your 14 year old CPU, then I'm afraid you are deluding yourself.

Sorry if you don't like that, but repeatedly asking for more advice when you've already had the best is quite disrespectful.

Ok,I understand you.

And I do apologize for asking for help again.

I do respect all of you.

No issues here but then again my rig:

i7 8700k

32 GB DDR4

1080 Ti