JohnKalo

Suppress the Suppressors

So if you are following the Defying the Odds campaign and wish no semi spoilers you can stop reading here. If not you can continue :thumbsup:

I am trying to create a stealth mission and everything seems to be possible but one thing. That is how the AI reacts to players. You can come close to the AI and take him down easily if he does not see you, something which is great but if you fire your weapon everything gets ruined. You see AI units that are far away can detect you and sometimes they can even detect your exact position. This might be semi real but it can easily destroy the mission. I would like the enemy AI not to hear any gunshots coming from suppressed weapons. Or if possible get in AWARE mode without knowing where the player is. One thing that should be noted is that I use ASR AI3 and we are talking about MP missions.

So can anybody please help?

• Like 1

I have no experience with mission making, but I would guess you could make use of the firednear EH.
You can set the AI behaviour to no combat with a loop and use the firednear EH to set it to combat if needed.

I don't know if there's another way to force AI behaviour to no combat, other than a with a loop.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JohnKalo said:

that I use ASR AI3

The ASR AI3 might causing this exact reation ,

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/knowsAbout

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/reveal

i don't remember the vanilla ai to do something more , than being just in aware behaviour.

Have you asked @Robalo about ?

• Like 1

@JohnKalo

I have made a couple of stealth missions and the AI is a pain in the backside. Couple of things I have found don't group enemy AI units together, they have some weird hive mind thing going, but even singles can still react if an AI unit is killed even though they did not see it or hear it. Also I tend not to use any type of AI mods when doing a stealth mission, ie ASR,VCOM etc. I will try and link a mission I made in my  dropbox. You are welcome to tear into it and see if anything I have done helps you out. I am using scripts from other authors and alot of scripting I came up with, some of it is more brute force to make the AI behave correctly. It is "hollywood" stealth, basically if you have a suppressor AI can't hear you, I know this is not realistic but makes for a fun mission. It has only been tested on hosted server with friends, not sure how it will play on a dedicated (i am pretty sure things will break). 

• Like 1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rp13gysmzr8o6k1/Operation%20SnakeBite[VCOM].Altis.7z?dl=0

Well I had the time so linked it now. Couple of things, I don't have a briefing of any type.The guys I make missions for never read the briefing so I stopped making them.  Mission is simple, destroy some stolen missiles and take out a Cartel Boss, then evac. Goto map in game and look at the tasks. Also play this from the MP lobby, in the parameters you can change quite a few things like AI hearing and vision also the turn the lights of the town off and on. The lights make a big difference in how tough it is to not get detected.  I have played this with a few friends and the AI seem to play nice being a stealth mission, but it is not perfect. You are welcome to tear it apart and see if anything helps you out.

-no mods should be required 

-dont use ASR or VCOM. I have the script version of VCOM in the mission just for testing purposes (it can be turned off/on in the parameters) default is off

-dont play this with friendly AI in your squad, they will blow the mission, it is designed for human players

-if the AI see you alarm will sound and reinforcements will come

-if the AI see a dead body, in the mission you have to hide dead bodies, alarm will sound and reinforcements will come (this is changeable in the parameters)

-if you or any player is unsuppressed, alarm will sound and reinforcements will come

-if the AI fires a weapon, alarm will sound and reinforcements will come

-if anyone throws a grenade,smoke or sets off an explosive, alarm will sound and reinforcements will come 

-if you shoot an AI and do not kill it...guess what

if the reinforcements show up it is pretty much over

in the MP parameters is one called "debug", enable it and you can teleport around and be invulnerable also will enable some  radio triggers that can make you setcaptive, destory missiles, kill HVT ect,  I use it to check AI patrols and mission flow. 

if you have any questions feel free to ask, my scripting is a learn as i go , so I know there are more elegant/better ways to do some of the things I have done.

last thing

any script I am using  the original author is listed in the script. I haven't released this to steam or anywhere else so haven't made a readme giving credit to my sources

• Like 2

You could also try playing around with the audibleCoef of setUnitTrait. In my testing (with vanilla AI) it would lower the chance of detection by sound dramatically. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all replies! Now,

I have no experience with mission making, but I would guess you could make use of the firednear EH.
You can set the AI behaviour to no combat with a loop and use the firednear EH to set it to combat if needed.

I don't know if there's another way to force AI behaviour to no combat, other than a with a loop.

It sounds like a good idea but that would mean using many event handlers since there will be multiple people firing a variety of hostiles with different weapons and magazines. Esepecially considering that the players might pick up a hostile's weapon.

The ASR AI3 might causing this exact reation ,

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/knowsAbout

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/reveal

i don't remember the vanilla ai to do something more , than being just in aware behaviour.

Have you asked @Robalo about ?

Nicely said, I have not yet at least. The knowsAbout and reveal however will need many conditions looping so they might lag the mission.

I have made a couple of stealth missions and the AI is a pain in the backside. Couple of things I have found don't group enemy AI units together, they have some weird hive mind thing going, but even singles can still react if an AI unit is killed even though they did not see it or hear it. Also I tend not to use any type of AI mods when doing a stealth mission, ie ASR,VCOM etc. I will try and link a mission I made in my  dropbox. You are welcome to tear into it and see if anything I have done helps you out. I am using scripts from other authors and alot of scripting I came up with, some of it is more brute force to make the AI behave correctly. It is "hollywood" stealth, basically if you have a suppressor AI can't hear you, I know this is not realistic but makes for a fun mission. It has only been tested on hosted server with friends, not sure how it will play on a dedicated (i am pretty sure things will break). 

Bravo for a very detailed description! I know players tend not to read the briefings. I still write them however even for that 10 or ..... rather 1%. There is a problem however. If not 4 players play the mission together there will be AI units so them ruining everything will be a problem. I shall check out the if the AI is shot but not killed the alarm sounds script though. 

You could also try playing around with the audibleCoef of setUnitTrait. In my testing (with vanilla AI) it would lower the chance of detection by sound dramatically. 

An awesome idea! If the audibleCoef works it will be really effective!

Oh and with vanilla AI, at least when I had it in vanilla, I remember that they would detect you according to the distance from the unit and not according to from which side you approach them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnKalo said:

An awesome idea! If the audibleCoef works it will be really effective!

You could also lower the camouflageCoef on the players to lower the chance of them being spotted.  I think it was mentioned above, but if you have patrols of more than one AI, then put each AI in a separate group, so killing the last one doesn't alert the others instantly (even when AI are not looking at the one killed).

• Like 2

@johnKalo

If you look into the mission I linked. I play around with the audiocoef and camouflagecoef. I actually have them set in the paramaters so you can change them before each mission. It was more for testing purposes but you can make the mission easier or harder depending on where you set them. 

• Like 2

Nicely pointed out @johnnyboy . So there will be some trial and error so as to detect the right values for both audiocoef and camouflagecoef. Nice to have some values already shown via the mission which I just downloaded  @nomadd

• Like 1