USSR68

New to Arma 3 mod, where should I start, and what resources are out there?

Hi I am new to Arma 3 modding scene, but I have previous experience with another engine. I am wondering where to start - and what resources are available. Such as rigging for clothing and units, but also vehicles mainly tanks. If anyone could point be to tutorials or even some sample resources to use, that would be appreciated! Thanks for any advice!

• Like 1

Hi and welcome :D your first thing would be to download the arma 3 samples via steam (its under tools i think) which has handy examples of many things from retexturing to adding new game items! theres lots of good tutorials on youtube also

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, lordfrith said:

Hi and welcome :D your first thing would be to download the arma 3 samples via steam (its under tools i think) which has handy examples of many things from retexturing to adding new game items! theres lots of good tutorials on youtube also

Thank you! I will check them out!

Also another question, is there a official modding discord to join, and what is the policy of using other mods in yours, such as if you use a weapon from a different mod. Do I have to contact that modding team or individual?

22 minutes ago, USSR68 said:

Also another question, is there a official modding discord to join

Official Arma3 Discord - has a modding channel - https://discord.gg/Tr9ktmA

,and what is the policy of using other mods in yours, such as if you use a weapon from a different mod. Do I have to contact that modding team or individual?

You will need permission from all authors.

• Thanks 1

Just now, R0adki11 said:

Official Arma3 Discord - has a modding channel - https://discord.gg/Tr9ktmA

You will need permission from all authors.

Thanks for the info! Also is it possible to use 3DS Max? I have seen some people use Oxygen tool, but could I do the same thing but in 3DS Max because it's similar.

Hey could anyone point me into a good direction for adding clothes and equipment to Arma, I am really stuck right now, I know how to rig and such but like what is the proper procedure for making the model then adding it to Arma. I am trying in the long run to make a faction mod, but I am trying to start at the basics and just add a new uniform. But I have not found any decent tutorials for doing this, is there anyone who could maybe show me how to do this 1 on 1 if possible. Thanks!

Arma specific part in modeling characters are mainly the weighting so that the character follows the Arma animations correctly. The Sample models provide a good fully functional character sample which you can use as a base/reference.

As to how to get things into the engine there are some tutorials around and Id recommend El_Tyranos tutorials series. Even though it is for modeling in Blender the same principles can be used in any 3D program. I dont remember if there is a character episode in the series, but all Arma objects follow very similar config setup and when you understand how to get any kind of object into game the rest can be derived from that.

The A3 samples also contain all the config examples needed and basically you can get a model in game by just replacing the character in the sample.

The Editting section of this forum also contains a lot of info.

11 minutes ago, HorribleGoat said:

Arma specific part in modeling characters are mainly the weighting so that the character follows the Arma animations correctly. The Sample models provide a good fully functional character sample which you can use as a base/reference.

As to how to get things into the engine there are some tutorials around and Id recommend El_Tyranos tutorials series. Even though it is for modeling in Blender the same principles can be used in any 3D program. I dont remember if there is a character episode in the series, but all Arma objects follow very similar config setup and when you understand how to get any kind of object into game the rest can be derived from that.

The A3 samples also contain all the config examples needed and basically you can get a model in game by just replacing the character in the sample.

The Editting section of this forum also contains a lot of info.

Thanks I will look around for it, but do you have a link to El_Tyranos videos by any chance?

They have a thread in the editing section and they are on youtube. You'll probably find them as fast as I would.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HorribleGoat said:

They have a thread in the editing section and they are on youtube. You'll probably find them as fast as I would.

Yup just found it, thank you for the help!