BI_Will

Arma Commander: SP/Coop/TvT Game Mode

Hello guys, let me introduce mod I've been working on for quite some time:

?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter

Arma Commander is large scale strategy game mode, in which player controls Army Battalion, and captures bases on the island. Player can control his troops from the map, or assume their direct control on the battlefield. Mode can be played in Single Player or Coop against AI Battalion, or in Team vs. Team setup.

How to Play

- Download from Steam Workshop

- Launch Arma with the Mod
- Go to Multiplayer -> Server Browser -> Host Server
- Select one of the missions called Arma Commander (currently available on Malden only)
- (You can go to Params in lobby to change settings of the mission, select battalions fighting the battle, etc.)

Game Rules

- Request troops of your selection on the battlefield
- Attack enemy and empty bases on the map
- Each captured base will generate some income to buy reinforcements
- Battalion that owns more bases when time runs out is victorious

Game Mechanics

Requesting units
Request new groups by pressing REQUISITION button on map screen.
You have to place landing zone and then order new groups.
New groups are bought for requisition points. There is limit on how many groups of one type you can request, and there is also limit on simultaneously deployed groups.

Taking Control of Groups
You can assume direct control of your groups by clicking on 'Switch' button. You will switch into the leader of selected group (if it's not taken by another player), and fight on the batlefield yourself.
Only exception are artillery units, which has to be commanded remotely.

Resupplying
Every group can take losses, run out of ammunition or just lost its transport. For this there is resupply button on group tabs, which will refill the group into its original status. Ammmunition is refilled automatically and reinforcements are dropped on parachute.
Resupply is available when you have enough Requisition points and group is far enough from the fighting.

Capturing Bases
Capturing bases takes some time, so side of the opponent can react on the attack and try to deflect it. Capturing is indicated by symbol of the base on map going red, and percentage appearing next to base name. Progress of capturing is indicated by flag in the center of base going down, switching color and then going up. Only after attacker's flag gets on top of flag pole, and percentage of his color gets to 100% is base captured.

Single Player, Coop, TvT
Arma Commander can be played in single player, as the mode was originally created for. But multiplayer is limited numbers is also supported, both Coop and TvT.

Commanding and subordinates
When playing in multiple players on one side, only one can be commander. Other players can take control of groups, or all of them can cooperate in one group.

Battalions
Player can select in lobby with which battalion he wants to fight with. Each battalion has composition of different group, providing different tactical options and different game experience.

Game Modes
There are two types of mission, differing in starting situation:
Frontline: Both Battalions start with equal resources and starting bases.
Invasion: Invading Battalion start with only one base, but large resources, while defeners have most bases on the map, and very limited resources.

--------

How to setup new Arma Commander Missions
1. Place Arma Commander Game Mode module on map.
2. Place two teams of playable units on their starting locations, they will become the command group for both sides.
3. Place two Battalion modules near the teams, select their side and battalion type, and select their starting resources (100-200 is good for start).
4. Place bases around the map.
1. Bases must belong to correct side — If NATO and CSAT battalions are fighting each other, do not place a Base with INDEP owner. You can place EMPTY base instead.
2. Select appropriate amount of defending soldiers.
3. You can create positions for defenders: Place group of soldiers into positions they should guard, and synchronize leader with module of the Base.
5. Create description.ext in the mission folder with the line below: It will include all required lobby parameters and respawn + revive settings.
#include "\AC\commonDescription.inc"

FAQ:

Is Arma Commander compatible with other mods?
- Not yet, but I’m working on a way how to create your own custom battalion for each side, to which you will be able to insert any group with any equipment you want. ETA — before Christmas.
Will there be some High Command functionality?
- High Command is hard to modify, so I don’t use it. But I want to improve the controls of the current interface (like chaining waypoints).
Are there more missions to play?
- Yes! There is dedicated channel for unofficial missions on the Discord server: https://discord.gg/M8ffgUX
Will there be more assets - helicopters, airplanes, naval?
- Yes, I want to support them at some point.

--------

Basically this is my baby project in which I learned proper scripting, created my own Strategic AI and tacke creating UI in RV engine. It's by no means perfect, I'm still tackling problems with some bugs, and network performance. I want to expand it in future to have missions on all islands, create new Battalions, and see how to support popular Arma mods. Any feedback, suggestions or found bugs are highly appreciated!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I never created any Discor server, but I will look into it, thanks for input!

3 minutes ago, BI_Will said:

I have my A3 server up 24/7 with the mod, if you want to use that as a start

An issue i found (also reported on the steam page)

If you switch to a unit that dies during the switch, you will be stuck in it as it will lose the map after a short while.

https://imgur.com/KdwlOaJ

On 12/14/2018 at 11:24 PM, Christenson HHD said:
On 12/14/2018 at 11:20 PM, BI_Will said:

I have my A3 server up 24/7 with the mod, if you want to use that as a start

Good find, I will detect if player stays in dead unit for too long, he should get into different unit, so he always has his map interface.

5 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Cool!

Some of the features reminds me of Ragnarok'44 ;)

This looks really good, Company of Heroes or Men of War in Arma. The strategic map and all UI around it is impressive.

• Thanks 1

Released a small update:

Added:
- Signed PBO
- Resupply will restore fuel of all group vehicles too

Removed:

- Obsolete module

+ Some tweaks of current module settings

Now it should be possible to play it on Dedicated server, although I did not do proper testing there for some time, so there might be still few problems.

I also created a Discord server: https://discord.gg/M8ffgUX

• Thanks 1

Another small-ish update adressing currently biggest problems:

- Tweaked: Mission time can be up to 10 hours.

- Hotfixed: Player swiching to dead unit will not get stuck without a map.

- Fixed: New missions without description.ext will not end immediately

- Fixed: Removed waypoints of dead groups.

And I updated main post in the thread with guide to create your own mission.

• Thanks 1

- Hotfixed: Player swiching to dead unit will not get stuck without a map.

:rthumb: Nice.

On 16/12/2018 at 1:05 AM, BI_Will said:

Released a small update:

Added:
- Signed PBO
- Resupply will restore fuel of all group vehicles too

Removed:

- Obsolete module

+ Some tweaks of current module settings

Now it should be possible to play it on Dedicated server, although I did not do proper testing there for some time, so there might be still few problems.

I also created a Discord server: https://discord.gg/M8ffgUX

I tried this mod locally last night with 3 friends and it worked perfectly and my friends loved it to. So i then decided today i would make my own map to put on my dedicated server so my community could play it. But when i put the mission file on my dedicated server and put the mod in my param then start the server i am prompted with this error below.  6999860ce96fed6808e9e9e03c5ce6ac.png

Probably a newbie mistake but i have not long been doing this server stuff and im under the impression that mods running on a server need a bikey if it is using signature checks ect which your mod seems to not have. Any help would be great and on the plus side your mod is very good and a lot of fun. Thanks

Excellent work! but I have a few questions-

1- what are the west settings? I see no West faction in the game? is there an option to play as west as well as csat?

2-  is there a way to give multiple waypoints? 

On 12/17/2018 at 3:05 PM, [CLG]DanVonTrap said:

I tried this mod locally last night with 3 friends and it worked perfectly and my friends loved it to. So i then decided today i would make my own map to put on my dedicated server so my community could play it. But when i put the mission file on my dedicated server and put the mod in my param then start the server i am prompted with this error below.  6999860ce96fed6808e9e9e03c5ce6ac.png

Probably a newbie mistake but i have not long been doing this server stuff and im under the impression that mods running on a server need a bikey if it is using signature checks ect which your mod seems to not have. Any help would be great and on the plus side your mod is very good and a lot of fun. Thanks

It seems that problem is on my side. I sign the pbo, but I guess it does not work for server. I will find out how to fix it and make an update.

• Like 1

Thanks very much many of my milsim unit have played it now locally and love it, so i cant wait to have 20 plus of us on one map plying this, already started making a custom map.

I found out solution for the dedicated server problem. Dedicated server needs bikey which I was not providing. I made an update in which I provide the key, so it should be possible to set up dedicated server for yourself.

This looks great will check it out.  This would be amazing in conjunction with ALiVE!!!

@BI_Will... I am not certain your implementation of a server key is correct.  I have configured more dedicated servers than I care to remember, so it's not likely to be on my side.  The Will.bikey is installed on the server in the keys folder but when I try to join, I am kicked because I have AC loaded and the server does not allow it, even though the key is there.

@lawndartleo: Sorry I missed your post. I fixed this at 16th January, so since then it should have been configured properly.

Over January, I did several updates to the mod, to weed out most ugly and annoying bugs, and ensure better usability.

Also I added all important info about current issues and future of Arma Commander on a Trello board: https://trello.com/b/c4yJLqox

And since you often unpack the Arma Commander to see the scripts, I saved you some work, to making my Arma Commander repo on GitLab public:

https://gitlab.com/silliaris/arma-commander

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1