gc8

Medievac graphics

Hi

is it possible to create a medievac looking helicopter in vanilla arma? Like take some heli and put the red cross image on it?

thx

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, gc8 said:

take some heli and put the red cross image on it?

Hell gc8 !

I have done the same ( retexturing ) with a script that i have if you want to check :

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GEORGE FLOROS GR said:

Hell gc8 !

I have done the same ( retexturing ) with a script that i have if you want to check :

Hey thanks George! I downloaded your script and I'm reading it now. It seems you have to change the whole texture of vehicle and not just part?

• Like 1

Too bad I'm not graphics artist 

Maybe someone could create more textures that load through scripts so as to eliminate the need for add-ons. Someone .... ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GEORGE FLOROS GR said:

It's very easy to do this !

It's a just a red cross !

You can use GIMP also , it's free & good !

https://www.gimp.org/

I have gimp but first obstacle is that I don't know how to get the vanilla heli texture and load it in gimp, as it's probably in .paa format

Edit: Oh actually that might be possible with TexView

• Like 1

You can easily convert paa to tga with Arma 3 tools. Then open it in gimp or photoshop, edit it and save it as tga or png and back to paa with texview. To get vanilla textures you can recover them from the relevant a3 pbo. But I don't know if that last part is allowed though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnKalo said:

Maybe someone could create more textures that load through scripts so as to eliminate the need for add-ons

any texture can be loaded through scripts but setObjectTexture is more for one off custom textures in missions etc and is not really suitable for general retexturing work due to performance impact, huge mission downloads and the texture reverting to default in various conditions (e.g. i think after opening arsenal or after respawn?).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CHICKENLICKEN said:

I’m sure there is one in armaholic files . 

Was thinking the same but haven't yet found it

5 hours ago, gc8 said:

Too bad I'm not graphics artist 

George is right:  its pretty easy.  I made the custom shirts and helicopter texture below using a very crude technique.

pirates-w-hostage.jpg

This is how I did it.  You either find the original vehicle texture and convert it to jpg first (or use your own pattern texture as base texture).

In the screenshot below I have a basic tiger stripe texture set to prowler on left, and a crude number reference texture set to prowler on right:

20181211095822-1.jpg

I want to place the Madagascar Flag texture on the back of the guy's shirt (below the 15), and on the right front door panel of the prowler (a little to the left of the backwards 6).  You can see how the numbers texture gives me an idea of where to put the small texture in the picture file.  You can do the same thing with the helicopter texture.  In the Editor setobjectTexture to the numbers.jpg to get a good idea of where you want to place the red cross.  Then make a copy of your base texture and cut and paste a red cross image in the location you want it, and size it.  Then view it in-game to see if the red cross is exactly where you want it.  It will take 4 or 5 tries to position exactly where yo want it.

Here's my crude numbers.jpg file (you can download this from this link and use it if you like):

numbers.jpg

And here's the Leapard pattern jpg after I pasted a Madagascar flag near the backwards 6 (to place it on door of Prowler):

tiger-Prowler.jpg

Here's the Leopard pattern with flag applied to position left of 15 to place it on back of shirt:

tiger-Dude.jpg

In Editor, I update the init lines for the Prowler and the Unit to setObjectTexture to the new .jpg files, and view it in game, and they look like this:

20181211102804-1.jpg

The above is my first attempt at placing the flag where I want it.  The above needs work to be perfect (I need to rotate the flag images, and move the one on the shirt to the right to center it better).  But you get the idea.

I just used Windows 10 Paint for this example, but GIMP is better because you can have the small image on a layer to move around and resize.

So that is Johnnyboy's super crude re-texture method.  Hope that helps you or someone else.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gc8 said:

here it is:

The feel of creation is always Good !  :ftvsmilie1:

Very nice !

• Haha 1

But it would be better if someone made this a mod where those bench from the cargo area are removed because real medievac heli wouldn't have them as it needs space for the stretchers

• Like 1

it would be good bis to have this as parameter  "hide" like with the offroad bumpers and stuff.

# Might be this already ? anyone ?

Another way (maybe not the best for all uses as it has some limitations which can may be tweaked). Very quickly done. Not put any effort into it really. I am sure if you took some time with some effort you could perfect it a little more. This method uses only internal texture file.

Place down user texture object (I used 1x2m) in Eden editor.

// Texture path:
A3\ui_f\data\gui\rsc\rscdisplayegspectator\ReviveIcon_ca.paa

Place down helicopter (Ghosthawk) in Eden editor.

// Object (heli) init:
texture attachTo [this, [-1.2, 0, -0.5]]; texture setDir 90;

oVA1GV5.jpg

• Like 4