Far East Lieutenant

To what Extent can I call it my mod/addon?

Hey,

Straight to the question to save your time,

Question A

- 1. If you make a custom composition(ex. Stuffed Carrier, Constructed Naval base, etc.), do you have any rights to publish it on Steam Workshop?

- 2. If 1 is permissible, what is the process or means to do it? Do you need BI Tools?

- 3. If 1 is not permissible, is there a method to compress the mission file itself so people can easily download from workshop?.

Question B

- 1. Regarding my first mission published, I'm trying to attach some add-on's like Guns/AI, etc. for better performance.

- 2. In this case, would it be better to publish another version of this mission with add-ons attached? Because I find some people would prefer vanilla over tones of mods they have to download.

To write some background info, I was trying to make my second mission with a stuffed carrier,  a submarine, naval base, added images, sound etc... the file got too big.

I'm pretty sure that I'm a Story freak, so I try to add many images to make the briefing feel as realistic, detailed, and long as possible so people can just skip it within 2 seconds haha.

And I started to think about license, copyright, etc. but I wouldn't want to go to JAG and start whining in real world.

Thanks for reading.

v/r,

Far East LT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Far East Lieutenant said:

- 1. If you make a custom composition(ex. Stuffed Carrier, Constructed Naval base, etc.), do you have any rights to publish it on Steam Workshop?

- 2. If 1 is permissible, what is the process or means to do it? Do you need BI Tools?

- 3. If 1 is not permissible, is there a method to compress the mission file itself so people can easily download from workshop?.

You can post any custom composition of vanilla objects to the steam workshop afaik.  It can only be a problem if you use mods or custom scripts in your composition.  If you have the right to license that composition is debatable but if you've put a lot of time in it you generally can.  Take ZEC as an example, it's a client-side mod that is purely custom compositions, it's been on the workshop for a long long time so I doubt there's anything wrong with it.

- 1. Regarding my first mission published, I'm trying to attach some add-on's like Guns/AI, etc. for better performance.

- 2. In this case, would it be better to publish another version of this mission with add-ons attached? Because I find some people would prefer vanilla over tones of mods they have to download.

Don't know exactly how to do this, but i know there are plenty of guides on how to do it on these forums.  And if you want to put the time into reworking your mission to work without mods I don't think anybody would mind.  It's up to you if you want to put in the time to do that. 

To write some background info, I was trying to make my second mission with a stuffed carrier,  a submarine, naval base, added images, sound etc... the file got too big.

I'm pretty sure that I'm a Story freak, so I try to add many images to make the briefing feel as realistic, detailed, and long as possible so people can just skip it within 2 seconds haha.

You can always just host the file on gitlab or something like that and make a topic in the user missions subform of this forum linking it.  It'll probably be picked up by armaholic then. 

Also if you're looking for licenses this   is a good place to start. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, stanhope said:

You can post any custom composition of vanilla objects to the steam workshop afaik.

Hey Gunny, 

Thanks for the comment, and I plan to move forward with posting custom composition(all vanilla) on Steam.

And If I may ask a few more questions?

Let's say I built a Naval Base at Stratis. In this case, how do I post only the Naval Base(Custom Composition) through the editor?.

My guess is if I upload the scenario itself, the naval base will be attached to the map of Stratis, that means they can't use it on other maps.

Is there another way of doing it?

3 hours ago, Far East Lieutenant said:

Yep, the collection is just a file of classnames and positions. As long as you don't actually upload anyone elses content (classname strings don't count) it's fine.

You need BI Tools Publisher tool to upload things to the workshop. And you probably need to make a config for the compositions, I don't know how though.

yes.

12 minutes ago, Far East Lieutenant said:

Let's say I built a Naval Base at Stratis. In this case, how do I post only the Naval Base(Custom Composition) through the editor?.

You'd have to just make a composition mod, instead of scenarios. I don't know what the config entries are that you need to set for that. But as there are already compositions mods in the workshop, it's certainly possible.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Far East Lieutenant said:

11 hours ago, Far East Lieutenant said:

I'm trying to attach some add-on's like Guns/AI, etc.

this sounds like you want to make a mission that already has the guns and AI you want from other mods? If so DON'T include addons from other users and re publish them without permission! If permission cannot be found you'll have to either go vanilla or have a required addon  ;)

Maybe i've misread you?

anyway...

8 hours ago, Far East Lieutenant said:

if you made a custom composition in game it should be saved in same folder as your savegames and editor missions. For me its in "documents/arma3/compositions". These are pretty easily shared.

if you want to upload naval base to steam workshop you can write a config for them, see this thread. it would look something like this:

Spoiler

CfgPatches  // YOU FORGOT THIS ONE
{
   class MY_CUSTOM_ZEUS_COMPOSITIONS
   {
       units[] = {};
       weapons[] = {};
       requiredVersion = 0.1;
       requiredAddons[] = {"A3_Modules_F", "A3_Modules_F_Curator"};
   };
};

class CfgGroups
{
class Empty
{
	side = 8;
	name = "Compositions";
	class by_Takelmeifter
	{
		name = "by Takelmeifter";
		class Special_Objects
		{
			name = "Sea";
			class TRAWLER_AND_BUOY
			{
				name = "TRAWLER_AND_BUOY";
				class Object1 {side=8;vehicle="C_Boat_Civil_04_F";rank="";position[]={-13.5313,-2.50977,6.57163};dir=355.473;};
				class Object2 {side=8;vehicle="Land_BuoyBig_F";rank="";position[]={-4.12891,22.998,0.752317};dir=0.0251861;};

};
		};
	};
};
};

and if you just want to use them in a mission and not have to share the composition seperately you could use ZES script  to copy/paste any objects or composition from in game to .sqf format!

hope that helps a bit :thumb:

Edited by lordfrith
looks like what?
  • Like 2

@lordfrith,

First, thank you for the comment. You and guys above have gave me very good answers.

3 minutes ago, lordfrith said:

If so DON'T include addons from other users and re publish them without permission!

Maybe I created confusion. Previously, this was how I thought:

1. Make a mission, implement others add-ons(ex. CUP) and publish it on Steam.

2. Stipulate those add-ons on the required mods section so that my subscribers should also subscribe their works.

So I will do make sure I try to contact the workshop publishers before I implement it into my mission :)

8 minutes ago, lordfrith said:

if you want to upload naval base to steam workshop you can write a config for them, see this thread. it would look something like this:

Thanks for the info on this and the ZES script. This will be set as my next task after I complete my first mission.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Far East Lieutenant said:

1. Make a mission, implement others add-ons(ex. CUP) and publish it on Steam.

2. Stipulate those add-ons on the required mods section so that my subscribers should also subscribe their works.

haha no thats fine, i got confused by 'attaching' addons, no permission needed to require an addon, you are right!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lordfrith said:

haha no thats fine, i got confused by 'attaching' addons, no permission needed to require an addon, you are right!

My English...:don13: