CaptainAzimuth

Warlords Game Mode: First Impressions

After a few years of forgetting about Arma, i've returned, and it's been pleasantly Nostalgic.

Upon hearing the news of the "Warlords" Game Mode going Live, i had to check it out for myself. I was pleasantly surprised at both how smooth it runs and how easy it was to get deep into the action even after years away from the Popular Niche title that is Arma 3.

I was immediately greeted by a team with only 3 active bases, and on the verge of being pushed into the Ocean off the South West coast of Altis, just South of Kavala the Old Capital. Knowing what i know best, i did the only thing i was best at, Special Operations behind enemy lines.

I learned how to use the Points System quickly, and get myself an AI, and a medium ATV (Prowler). I raced towards Neochori only to be stopped in my tracks by superior enemy Air Power. They had Gunships, Tanks, Jets, and MRAP's all advancing towards our only remaining bases so i had to think quick. Continuing on foot I fast tracked myself to a position in the fields and with a trusty AI squad, gave orders to attack and capture the nearest towns. In a quick response the enemy returned to counter attack, buying allied forces time to re-group and collect themselves. Didn't seem to be enough because the enemy quickly recaptured most of the points. It then became a Guerrilla War between just me and  my Squad separate from the rest of my allies, and Battalions of enemy Tanks, and Brigades of Gunships. I had to Adapt.

After capturing a town i requested reinforcements, so Anti-Aircraft, and some Grenadiers. Grenadiers were deployed to further inland towns, while Anti-Aircraft units were spread out creating an Aerial Denial Network. This worked splendidly. In fact, so well i was able to Lock Down the enemy Advance and  push them all the way back to the Major Airport. Everything was going well, except for one small thing. I was a lone wolf, a Phantom Operative WAY deep behind enemy lines and i did not have Anti-Tank units. So naturally to my not-so-surprise, i found myself quickly encircled by Heavy Armor, but not beat... At least not yet.

To close, finally, after giving the enemy a serious hard time for about 1-2 hours, they finally found me and cleaned up my forces. They then finished the match by rushing our last Base. Great stuff, and a lot of fun. I'm extremely pleased that finally an Official Game Mode has become very enjoyable from the get go, especially for the Tactical kind of player. I am certain it would have been much more fun if i had my crew to assist in the counter-attack, and even confident i could very well have changed the tides of that battle!

Conclusion? 9/10 Experience. I suppose the only thing that would make this better is fortifications building.

Thank You, Bohemia Interactive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the story, been waiting to try out Warlords myself. I was under the impression that Warlords is a multiplayer mode, but did you manage to play in Single Player ?

18 minutes ago, old_painless said:

Thanks for the story, been waiting to try out Warlords myself. I was under the impression that Warlords is a multiplayer mode, but did you manage to play in Single Player ?

Oh no, it's Multiplayer for sure. I assume you could theoretically create a Single-Player version quite easily though considering the fact they do have a Co-op mode for Players Vs. NPC's rather than Player Vs. Player.

Though in defense of Multiplayer my experience was as smooth as a singe-player experience with the added challenge of Player encounters. =P

You can play Warlords Singleplayer with AI in your team and against AI. 
Its certainly a good way to get to know the game mode.

Just create a Lan server from the server Browser and you can play it alone. I played it the last 2 Weeks like that (not for long, just for testing)

Edit: The AI will even buy themself units and advance to the next sector individually!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys,

Yesterday me and my friends played a long session ( eventually won it ) 

It's great, the multiplayer aspect is awsome, you can vote for the next town you think your team needs and coordinate that with the rest of your team. 

Calling in AI to defend or attack is also very nice. 

I have one request and that is to add earplugs like in KOTH and Wasteland, my ears started to bleed after 3 hours.