Texeiro

[help] sunken ship cargo lift/ cargo drop

Hello, I´m new here, and I´m amazed with the powerfull Arma3´s editor. I came form il.2 1946 mission building, and Arma editor it s all I allways dreamed about.  Almost everything it´s doable, I have a lot to learn but there is a lot of material in the internet about scripting, etc. Now I´m working in a scenario kinda antistasi , with a guerrilla force trying to recover weapons and material. I´m stuck at two mission:

I´m tring to recover a crate from a sunken ship. It´s possible? there´s a way to lift it?

The same way I was able to get a cargo get attached to a small civilian plane ( a cessna) but I couldn´t make it to drop. It works in cargo planes as C-130 or heavy helicopters. Maybe it has to do with cargo compartment or cargo door?

I got tons more questions regarding scripting, but , step by step, I guess learning curve is slow. Thanks in advance, I hope my english would be ok.

2 hours ago, Texeiro said:

I´m tring to recover a crate from a sunken ship. It´s possible? there´s a way to lift it?

Are you trying to attach a rope to a crate?   My experience with attaching rope to objects, is the object you attach to must be a vehicle.  I used the following technique to attach a rope to an ATM object, then drag the ATM:  I created a Darter drone vehicle and attached ATM to it.  Relative position had darter inside ATM so player can't see it. 

The smallest vehicle object I know of is the Darter drone.  Hopefully the Darter is smaller than the crate you wish to raise.   If so, attach the crate to the Darter, with the crate positioned so that the Darter is inside the crate (not visible to player).  You then attach the wrote to the darter and raise it.  Since player can't see the darter, it looks like rope is attached to crate.  You can then manipulate the rope to raise the crate.

I've been planning a similar marine salvage mission, and that is how I intend to achieve it.

Thanks Ex3B, I will try.

Johnny, I guess the sunken ship deep, maybe wiil be too much for a rope, but thats a very good idea. If the editor doesn´t  allow anything, creativity does.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Texeiro said:

I guess the sunken ship deep, maybe wiil be too much for a rope, but thats a very good idea. If the editor doesn´t  allow anything, creativity does.

The mass (weight) of the two objects may come into play.  If ship/platform that is doing the raising weighs less than object on sea bed you are raising, you will likely have a problem.  This can be solved by setMass to reduce mass of object you are raising.

Good luck.  And please post your solution when you get it working.

And most importantly:  Welcome to the forums and the wonderful world of Arma Editing!

• Like 2

On 4/12/2018 at 2:55 PM, johnnyboy said:

The mass (weight) of the two objects may come into play.  If ship/platform that is doing the raising weighs less than object on sea bed you are raising, you will likely have a problem.  This can be solved by setMass to reduce mass of object you are raising.

Good luck.  And please post your solution when you get it working.

Jhonnyboy, I will try whit this approarch: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ropeCreate

Maybe with this htere s no need to attach a Drone to a box, and allows to lift smaller boxes as I had in mind.  regarding setMass, I will try, but I have a lot to learn yet.

On 4/12/2018 at 2:55 PM, johnnyboy said:

And most importantly:  Welcome to the forums and the wonderful world of Arma Editing!

Thank you!