bent.toe

We need Arma 3 on consoles

The problem with consoles are in fact two problems. One is the obvious faulty hardware and the user mind limitations, the other one it is just only the user mind limitation. Kids. Please go away and play other things, teletubbies or other shit, and leave good games away of your akward influence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

Here's how it should be, in my opinion..

You can, and indeed should attack someone's argument. But you should never attack the person. As we say in football; play the ball, not the man.

Well said but the same rules should apply in all discussions, not just this one (Intel vs AMD...)

4 minutes ago, domokun said:

Well said but the same rules should apply in all discussions, not just this one (Intel vs AMD...)

Have I been horrid to an AMD owner?

3 hours ago, VanZant said:

The problem with consoles are in fact two problems. One is the obvious faulty hardware and the user mind limitations, the other one it is just only the user mind limitation. Kids. Please go away and play other things, teletubbies or other shit, and leave good games away of your akward influence.

That is one of the reasons me and others want arma 3 on consoles. 

I'm sick and tired of the arcade shooters. 

@bent.toe In that case it pretty much comes down to a mix of hardware limitations (PS4 and Xbox One), software limitations (Arma 3's Real Virtuality 4 engine)… and while Bohemia has had their eye on consoles as shown by DayZ's PS4/Xbox One releases, it may be years before that game's engine -- at last check, Bohemia's plan is for all of their future titles to run on that -- is at a level that will be capable of presenting 'what Arma does best', and as if not even more importantly: a bunch (if not the majority) of the community-made content that has been a starring attraction for Arma 3 players is not compatible, hence why no Arma 3 on Enfusion... DayZ's notorious history demonstrates what can happen if a game changes engines mid-development, and that's was before modding was publicly available to be broken by an engine change. Heck, there's a history of Arma 3 modders complaining about smaller changes within the same RV4 engine breaking their mods/missions...

@VanZant Did that last line travel forward in time from 2012-2013 or something? Claiming that Arma should be free of awkward influence is a very 'horse has left the barn' thing to say considering all that Bohemia's done in the years since DayZ mod with Arma 3...

So it's safe to say that arma 3 will never come to console and I can stop bitchig about it. 

Good.. Guess i have to play shitty arcade shooters and try and be happy about it. 

1 hour ago, bent.toe said:

So it's safe to say that arma 3 will never come to console and I can stop bitchig about it. 

Good.. Guess i have to play shitty arcade shooters and try and be happy about it. 

Arma 3 won't, no. But you never know about A4.. 😉

@bent.toe What chrisb said... it was already too late for Arma 3 on PS4/XB1 before any of those three were announced. At last check though, whether or not Arma 4 actually comes to console (e.g. if Microsoft and Sony won't come to terms with Bohemia Interactive on how to handle user-generated content), at last check Bohemia Interactive seems to want it to be console-capable...

They ruined dayz to accomodate consoles. I do realise BI is a business here to make money but please for the love of god you've strayed too far away from your roots already don't ruin ArmA as well!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spatsiba said:

They ruined dayz to accomodate consoles. I do realise BI is a business here to make money but please for the love of god you've strayed too far away from your roots already don't ruin ArmA as well!

It is hard to imagine Arma 4 being on console, and being able to maintain the core of the Arma series, mission editing, modding, scripting in the way we know them to exist today. It would almost certainly be a very different game. I just can't see how you could balance the game to maintain the current community, and attract interest from the average console player.

BI is going to have to decide if they want to continue to market to the current community, or go after the average console player, they can't appease both. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spatsiba said:

There's any number of moves Bohemia made during Arma 3's development and post-launch that could be deemed to have 'ruined' Arma for someone... from Steamworks, to launching-as-scheduled (meaning that the SP campaign was post-launch 'free DLC'), to dropping the 'Lite' DLC method, to the setting itself, to CDLC, and now Contact DLC (which apparently devs have been trying to do for years now)... though based on your wording I imagine that you consider something or another to have done this 'ruining' already?

Although, speaking of DayZ, I suspect that between the front-loading of purchases when the game first went public, the foregoing of any paid DLC (meaning no more money out of anyone who bought before a price increase), and the reputation of the game in previous years impacting new sales, someone at Bohemia realized/decided that there was only ever going to be so much money to be made on DayZ without console releases...

3 hours ago, stburr91 said:

It is hard to imagine Arma 4 being on console, and being able to maintain the core of the Arma series, mission editing, modding, scripting in the way we know them to exist today. It would almost certainly be a very different game. I just can't see how you could balance the game to maintain the current community, and attract interest from the average console player.

BI is going to have to decide if they want to continue to market to the current community, or go after the average console player, they can't appease both. 

Wouldn't this come down to how much money they 'see in PC' by that point? Some developer studios/publishers that do multi-platform releases may see & treat a PC release as 'bonus money', but having a console-capable Arma 4 lets Bohemia-as-a-publisher have the other way around as an option, unlike last time (boldfacing by me):

Bohemia stuck to modest ambitions for Arma 2, deciding that it should reuse the piles of assets created for the abandoned Game 2. It was also originally intended to be an Xbox 360 game, but the console turned out to be far less powerful than Bohemia realised - "we had no clue... we did not expect it to be that much slower [than a PC]" - so the team refocused on PC. Another lesson learned.

You would lose mods most of all. Even if they worked out a way to offer them to console players, no modder in their right mind is going to offer Microsoft or sony free assets

Re: 'worked out a way to offer them to console players': It's not as if Sony's never dealt with UGC, if that's what you were referring to; I still remember LittleBigPlanet for PS3.

5 hours ago, warlord554 said:

You would lose mods most of all. Even if they worked out a way to offer them to console players, no modder in their right mind is going to offer Microsoft or sony free assets 

Once upon a time I remember similar concern about Valve/Steam...

14 hours ago, chortles said:

Wouldn't this come down to how much money they 'see in PC' by that point? Some developer studios/publishers that do multi-platform releases may see & treat a PC release as 'bonus money', but having a console-capable Arma 4 lets Bohemia-as-a-publisher have the other way around as an option, unlike last time (boldfacing by me):

Yes, but as it's been pointed out by many people on here already, arma as it exists now is not possible on a console. If arma 4 is going to be on console, it will be a different game.

It's not just the limitations of the hardware/software of consoles, its that the game play of arma is very different from what appeals to the console market currently. It wouldn't make any sense to move arma to consoles, the game would have little appeal to that market. So, it would be pointless to move arma to console unless they change the game play to have more appeal to that market. 

Now, does my above statement of, "I just can't see how you could balance the game to maintain the current community, and attract interest from the average console player" make more sense? 

I can speak for myself, I expect Arma 4 to have everything Arma 3 has, and include new features. Removing, or greatly reducing features to make arma compatible with consoles is very unappealing to me (likely a deal breaker). Making the game play of arma more arcade like to appeal to the console market is a complete deal breaker for me, and I can unequivocally say I would not buy the game.  

BI is going to have to decide who they want to make the next arma for, the current community, or the console market. In my opinion, it will be very difficult to appeal to both, and an attempt to "split the baby" could very well lead to less sales, not more. 

• Like 2

What you're concerned about seems predicated on Bohemia Interactive changing course to seeing console as the primary platform and revenue source, as opposed to "the other way around" which would mean a multi-platform release with PC as primary platform 'and whatever we can get from consoles', which it seems was the calculation for Arma 2 until the XB360 specs reveal made that impossible. (It's not like Bohemia hasn't already demonstrated such a favoritism within PC via the macOS/Linux ports with all of their limitations!)

Even with that out of the way thanks to Enfusion, I don't see Bohemia changing course unless they thought the well was dried up on PC... which is why I'm not 100% convinced that DayZ was "ruined" by its console releases. From the outside looking in it does look like the potential revenue on PC was always or at least from very early on limited, so without console money would 'the end' have come for DayZ that much faster? That dynamic definitely sounds like it won't be the case for a future Arma.

Also, I say 'whatever we can get from consoles' since I imagine that a console player base would either be self-selecting or "picked this up on sale because it looked fun how do i get started", which Bohemia would have taken into account. If one of your concerns is PC players becoming outweighed by console players… have you seen what the Discord is like every time there's a Steam sale?? Come to think of it, all this talk of "you have to decide!" reminds me so much of some of the discussion from the months after DayZ mod went big (and already changed Bohemia presumably-irrevocably)…

EDIT: and of course, when it comes to questions of controls (re: 'consolization') and UGC, there was already Operation Flashpoint: Elite... to say nothing of Bohemia just outright not having DayZ modding on consoles (yet if ever) versus PC.

It would be great if Arma stays a pc exclusive.

But as i've said on here before, OFPElite on the original xbox was a very good game (I only played via the editor, had some serious fun). O.k. it didn't have the number of units as I could put out on the pc version, it didn't have the modding ease, although mods were made for the Elite version. But.. It still stood as a very good example of this series, even the editor. It also ran very smoothly, just putting that out there.. 😉

However, consoles are getting better and when it comes to the Arma campaigns, I'm fairly sure consoles could handle those. So it's how BI feel about community really, the Editor, mission making, modding, scripts and so on. Those things that keep this game a pc title really. We'll just have to wait and see.

I think one thing is for certain, console players prefer less buggy games, or did. Being that most of us are pc players on here, on the whole we forgive a lot of things that mainstream perhaps wouldn't, that's just my opinion. So perhaps BI would have to up their game a little more, for release. It is just a release thing, because they tend to put things right eventually. But mainstream console players, as I see it, wouldn't really be happy about waiting around too long.

Anyway, I don't mind the bugs I bump into along the way. In 'Contact', I may bump into some more, of the more unusual type (who knows)... Should it be any good and I play. 😉

Can you imagine a 'buggy' bug.. 😲  

Oh yeah, I played some of the mod aliens over the years, so perhaps not that different.😊

On 6/25/2019 at 6:34 PM, Spatsiba said:

They ruined it? 

The only reason you can play 1.04 on pc is thanks to the millions they made on releasing it for consoles. 

US console owners is whats funding the PC version. 

Edited by R0adki11
flame-baiting remarks removed

On 6/26/2019 at 12:41 AM, warlord554 said:

We have tons of mods for games on console, mods made by PC gamers, for free. 

Edited by R0adki11
flame-baiting remarks removed

On 6/26/2019 at 3:38 PM, stburr91 said:

an attempt to "split the baby" could very well lead to less sales, not more. 

Based on what? 

As i said... DayZ on consoles helped fund the whole PC version. 

BI made millions on xbox/ps4 version. Money they can spend on fixing the PC version. 

Render, controls, gameplay limitations. As well as the PC feeling like a console port now are some ways the console version "ruined" DayZ imo. 

Of course console will help fund all versions but the majority of sales were made for PC. BI did have money problems which lead to arma 3 being what it is afaik but your argument that consoles fund the whole pc version makes it seem like you think console gave all the profit.

ArmA 4 simply can not work on a console the way I would like the successor of ArmA 2 to be.

13 hours ago, Spatsiba said:

Render, controls, gameplay limitations. As well as the PC feeling like a console port now are some ways the console version "ruined" DayZ imo. 

Of course console will help fund all versions but the majority of sales were made for PC. BI did have money problems which lead to arma 3 being what it is afaik but your argument that consoles fund the whole pc version makes it seem like you think console gave all the profit.

ArmA 4 simply can not work on a console the way I would like the successor of ArmA 2 to be.

From the release of console versions we funded the continituity (can't spell) of the PC version. 

This is pure speculation but wouldn't the PC version have more funding if work on consoles never started? You also have yet to explain how all these keybindings would work on console without ruining the game. I have nothing against them making a console version in itself. I just don't think that it's a good move considering variables such as money, time, manpower etc. It's my analysis that if ArmA4 was worked on for consoles that's valuable time, money, effort, compromises that could've been put into developing the game on PC. For what I want they shouldn't waste their time on console ports.

It's also worth noting that I find consoles pointless since it's just a limited PC. Why not just get one without child lock features?

I can't agree that the dayz console version saved the day, sort of thing.

I agree they would have made good money from it, but there was dayz 'the mod' that really raised the A2 sales, that gave BI a good boost and that was a little time back now.

Did they need that boost, well probably, you can only survive so long without churning out another game. Well one that sells really well...

But BI have other games out, so sales of those games would help a little.

But dayz version released on console isn't funding the way ahead, not imo anyway.

A3 did really well on sales, as did A2 after the dayz mod came out, so I'm not sure they were that hard up. Of course the Greek thing would have cost them a lot, but still.

I think BI is a better setup studio wise now, more than they probably ever have had, so we all keep fingers crossed and hope  it remains that way. 😉