bent.toe

We need Arma 3 on consoles

No no, don't start with the PC master race BS.

I play on Xbox, ps4 and PC (enjoying Hunt Showdown at the moment) and i prefer console since it's less of a hassle.

Now, before you guys go into the "you would need 5 controllers" or "it would never run on a shitty low end i3" or "we have NINE different stances damn it".

We did get DayZ and it's almost identical to the pc version (missing some features) and it runs perfect (beside the bugs).

Why could there not be a slimmed down version of arma 3? By that i mean removed features like all stances, easier flight controls, less commands and maybe 60 players on a reduced map (DayZ size?).

There are 90 million potential buyers spread across two platforms (Xbox and ps4) and sim games are big on consoles. Farming sim, mudspinner, airport sim, construction sim, forestry sim, DayZ and so on... 

A lot of gamers are 30+, don't like the arcady R6 siege or the hysterical cod series. A lot of us would love to enjoy Arma series just like you guys do.

I doubt it will come...just as i doubt Ready or not or hell let loose or a SWAT 4 sequel will come to consoles.

But i believe there is a huge potential in milsim games on consoles...and right now there is a void ready to be filled, making the first dev team to fill it, filthy rich.

BI brought over DayZ and recently released Vigor on Xbox...we need your awesome Arma series aswell.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

'We' don't and as stated on many occasions it won't.

"I personally really like consoles so I would love to see it on there, but for Arma 3, from the start it was developed as PC only, and it wouldn't do it justice - there wouldn't be an easy port to console. You'd really have to redesign stuff like how the controls work, and the interface, so for Arma 3 that's out of the scope. For something that is next, it is becoming much more likely to be multiplatform." -  Project leader Joris-Jan van t' Land

On top of this it would lose its most valuable asset, being mods and missions, I mean ArmA without the editor is not ArmA. IIRC they released a version of OFP on the first xbox and it wasn't exactly a resounding success due to the complexity of the game, so three or four generations later it being even more complex on dated consoles would be a no go. Who knows maybe one day they will release 'an ArmA' on a console, but I would not hold your breathe.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, jeza said:

IIRC they released a version of OFP on the first xbox and it wasn't exactly a resounding success due to the complexity of the game, so three or four generations later it being even more complex on dated consoles would be a no go.

Same topic a few days ago, and I made the same point. With OFP: Resistance came the console port, which was a flop.

Honestly though, your quote about redesigning stuff demonstrates it pretty well. You can't just take this away and that away and BAM, new version.

• Like 1

why stop there, consoles should have dcs and xplanes too  :3

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, beno_83au said:

Same topic a few days ago, and I made the same point.

I think his toe is bent, search before you post, Arma comes down to this, if it aint got the editor it aint arma.

• Like 3

Operation flashpoint dragon rising and it's sequel red river was not a success on Xbox 360, but it was before it's time on consoles.

Today we got different hardware, more knowledge and developers who truly can optimize a game for consoles.

We as gamers also have changed and grown up. We love tactics, simulation, permadeath. (Just look how sims flourish on consoles)

I hear what you are saying and the pc user in me understand that it would most likely be impossible to take the Arma you guys play today and convert to consoles.

But even a slimmed down version would still beat every arcade shooter on console today.

But maybe BI will release something new and arma-like on consoles in a not to distant future...one could hope.

Want to play an Arma* like shooter ?

Then you can play "Vigor" on XBox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, bent.toe said:

less of a hassle

You've picked a wrong game, pal. :D

4 hours ago, bent.toe said:

But even a slimmed down version would still beat every arcade shooter on console today.

But maybe BI will release something new and arma-like on consoles in a not to distant future...one could hope.

In addition to what has already been said by others in this thread, there's a company that did just that.

Egosoft (which is basically German BI) tried that with their X series (which is basically space Arma complete with retarded scripting engine and bazillion of user-made mods). They had a very good run with X3 series (Reunion, Terrain Conflict and Albion prelude) and then they've decided to capture the console market and made X: Rebirth, which was basically a dumbed-down console-friendly version of the series. It was a gigantic dumpster fire that both alienated old players and failed to attract causal ones. Honestly, I don't know how they managed to survive that but thankfully a couple of days ago they've released the X4: Foundations (do check it out) which returned to the series core mechanics and autism levels and it instantly got positive feedback from the community. Sure, there are bugs to be ironed out but the main concept is solid.

I think BI will end up walking the same road, should they repeat Egosoft's mistake. Dumbed-down version of Arma will lack all the features that make it interesting to the PC audience while simultaneously lacking features of a above-average console shooter, all this while competing with a bunch of established shooters.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldbear said:

End of thread.

Vigor is EXACTLY what the original poster wants.

15 hours ago, oldbear said:

Played it since day one..it's nothing like Arma, at all.

DayZ is closer to Arma than Vigor is.

35 minutes ago, bent.toe said:

Played it since day one..it's nothing like Arma, at all.

DayZ is closer to Arma than Vigor is.

Well DayZ would be closer to Arma, especially given that DayZ is based on the Arma2 game engine and started off as a mod for Arma2.

This is a no-brainer, BI could absolutely make an Arma-esque game on XBOX that would capture everyone craving something closer to a mil-sim and farther from what we currently have; that being run and gun arcade crap.

29 minutes ago, Michael Kaminski said:

This is a no-brainer, BI could absolutely make an Arma-esque game on XBOX that would capture everyone craving something closer to a mil-sim and farther from what we currently have; that being run and gun arcade crap.

Sure, might as well port it for mobile too.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Michael Kaminski said:

(almost) everyone craving for something close to mil-sim has a PC.

• Like 2

Consoles are directly cancer for good hardcore videogames. They are machines for converting such products into kiddie or comercial shit. They are, essentialy, the fast food of videogames. Period. If you want war on consoles, play cod, fortnite, and other bullshit.

Congrats and good bye.

• Like 1

To be fair, OFPElite was a very good solid editor and the amount they got in there was pretty amazing. Players could make some nice little missions/scenarios in there.

But I can't see BI going that route again. Although the way consoles are coming on, A4 (if there is one), well you never know.

Everyone's missing the real question tho:

Will. It. Take. Glock. Mags. (questionmark) 

*insert papa Garand emoji

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, chrisb said:

To be fair, OFPElite was a very good solid editor and the amount they got in there was pretty amazing. Players could make some nice little missions/scenarios in there.

But I can't see BI going that route again. Although the way consoles are coming on, A4 (if there is one), well you never know.

The temptation to cash in on the console market is going to be too great, we'll likely get a watered down PC version so A4 can be compatible with consoles. 

5 hours ago, stburr91 said:

The temptation to cash in on the console market is going to be too great, we'll likely get a watered down PC version so A4 can be compatible with consoles. 

I agree with you. BI already went down the more mainstream path with A3. But they won't take A3 to console this late (imho).

But including a console release for A4, would be a logical next step, sales wise.

23 hours ago, stburr91 said:

I hope that we don't see a watered down PC version, i would rather see them stay with what they know and give us a good PC gaming experience for A4. And perhaps if possible a return to the cold war era as well.

• Like 3

I discovered Operation Flashpoint on Xbox, and after several years with Arma on PC, I really don't see BI going the console route again for such a game. Or at least, I'm convinced it would be a mistake to strip Arma from mission edition and mods : without those features, the series wouldn't be so popular. By itself, the game will have a hard time connecting with the console public.

• Like 2

Wow guys. What a lot of testosteron flying around here.

It would be nice to have a game that is as deep as Arma is on consoles. I for one can understand the comments of the OP about hysterical cod type of games nowadays on consoles, so something different would be nice.

1 hour ago, R0adki11 said:

I hope that we don't see a watered down PC version, i would rather see them stay with what they know and give us a good PC gaming experience for A4. And perhaps if possible a return to the cold war era as well.

Yes, I certainly agree, I hope BI will not watered down a PC version of A4 so they can enter the console market.

I, and I think much of the community would be very unhappy to wait for years for A4, and then end up getting a game that is watered down.

1 hour ago, haleks said:

I discovered Operation Flashpoint on Xbox, and after several years with Arma on PC, I really don't see BI going the console route again for such a game. Or at least, I'm convinced it would be a mistake to strip Arma from mission edition and mods : without those features, the series wouldn't be so popular. By itself, the game will have a hard time connecting with the console public.

I think everyone would agree that an Arma game without an editor, and modding, wouldn't be very popular, especially with the current community.  

I would think the decision on whether or not A4 will be developed as a multiplatform game will be based solely on economics. Whether or not BI could/would be able to develop A4 to be both a full feature PC game, and a watered down console game, is hard to say.  The additional development time to do something like that may not be economically viable.

If BI enters the console market with A4, it would seem that a PC version would be very likely watered down, and that would be a very unwelcome change for most of the community.    

1 hour ago, haleks said:

It wouldn't remove the editor or mods. The editor in OFPElite was quite a nice editor, not as good as the pc version obviously, I also messed around with that two. But of the two, the xbox editor was a very good straight forward editor that most every player could use, therefore very suited to the console.

I would imagine there were players that came into the pc game after their xbox experience. It had plenty of things in there to make some very good scenarios/missions as I said before.

Of course this is not to be confused with the codemaster Operation Flashpoint that was released with no editor at all (iirc).

With consoles getting more powerful, I can't see why the consoles today couldn't handle mods.

I do think BI will look at the option..