Far East Lieutenant

Giving my first shot on creating a mission

I grew up playing arma series since Operation Flashpoint which I got for my birthday present when I was around 14.

and I remember always having an English dictionary on my desk, just to continue with the campaign.

Never thought about creating anything, just played what was modded by other users.

These days I have more free time as I'm transferred to a shore assignment, and I'm giving my first shot on creating a mission on my own in 15 years.

I'm a total noob on scripting, trying this and that to just understand how the editor works, and it is quite difficult.

But it is fun to learn, and I'm looking for any tips and advice.

Thanks!

P.S By the way, as I was googling for the tips, tutorials, wiki, etc. it was amazing to find all the efforts continued over a decade by BI & users worldwide. Thanks again to everyone. 

• Like 1

I'd also say not to worry about scripting until you get a hang of the editor.

There's a lot that can be achieved without using SQF; have a look at the in-editor tutorial and the pages on the BIKI to begin with.

• Like 5

Start simple.

My first mission was spanning half the map, had dozens of complex objectives from recovering a wreck of a downed helicopter, investigating ambush site for clues and capturing the airfield. All this with multiplayer support and lots of scripts. It was fun and exciting to make, It worked and worked well but wasn't really enjoyable because it was a mess of everything. As I've practiced, I've found out that small but cohesive and well thought through missions with a handful of objectives (the less - the better) work best.

I suggest you to start with something as simple as blowing up the Shilka and see if you can spice up the setting and make the task reasonably challenging.

And I concur with @target_practice that scripting is somewhat tangential to a good mission. Sometimes you need a bit of scripting to add some very specific functionality but if a mission needs a lot of scripts it most likely either over-complicated from gameplay standpoint or mission's concept is not as great as it might seem in the moment.

• Like 2

I agree with target_practice, the most natural way to learn is first try what you can do with the editor. Then you will run into some limit which you can try to solve with SQF. Then you have a very specific problem to solve. It will be more clear and motivating.

Also my #1 tip: work with the game and not against it. There are awesome things you can do and some mundane things you can't. Don't spend too many hours trying to solve impossible problems, just change your mission to fit the game.

• Like 6

탑승을 환영합니다

I have been around here since 2001 and even I still struggle at times. Take your time and as others have said, learn the editor first. Once you realise what you can and cannot do in the editor, then worry about scripting. I am going to quote @joostsidy here because he speaks the truth 

work with the game and not against it. There are awesome things you can do and some mundane things you can't. Don't spend too many hours trying to solve impossible problems, just change your mission to fit the game.

• Like 4