Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

Floating Planes with Physx?

Having problems getting physx Buoyancy lod to work w/ a PLANE.  My amphib H-13 helicopters float fine... they of course aren't "planex".  I know I can make it work with the old trick of adding a floating invisible surface object and constantly setpos'ing it under the plane, however I want to make it work with native physx.  Wondering if there is a limitation on this or if the model may need something I have overlooked?

Model contains both buoyancy and physx geo lods. 

I have added the requisite Properties "autocenter = 1" and "buoyancy = 1" to the geo lods. 

These properties are in the config... not sure if others are absolutely required to simply make it float:

simulation = planex
canfloat = 1;
waterLeakiness = 0

The behavior is that the plane FLOATS, the engine immediately stalls and takes damage, and in about 2 seconds the plane is completely destroyed.  This is the same exact behavior if you take a normal plane and taxi it into the water.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hcpookie said:

Having problems getting physx Buoyancy lod to work w/ a PLANE.  My amphib H-13 helicopters float fine... they of course aren't "planex".  I know I can make it work with the old trick of adding a floating invisible surface object and constantly setpos'ing it under the plane, however I want to make it work with native physx.  Wondering if there is a limitation on this or if the model may need something I have overlooked?

Model contains both buoyancy and physx geo lods. 

I have added the requisite Properties "autocenter = 1" and "buoyancy = 1" to the geo lods. 

These properties are in the config... not sure if others are absolutely required to simply make it float:

simulation = planex
canfloat = 1;
waterLeakiness = 0

The behavior is that the plane FLOATS, the engine immediately stalls and takes damage, and in about 2 seconds the plane is completely destroyed.  This is the same exact behavior if you take a normal plane and taxi it into the water.

Can you show size of geo buyoancy? I remember I had issue in past that planes (Shikra) didn't want to sink ;) It was all caused by geo buoyancy in this case so I guess if you increase size of your geo buoyancy to rather high level then it should work.

Thanks for the tip!  I made progress by doubling the size of the buoyancy LOD.  Now, it floats but still takes damage and dies once it gets to about 29...

• Like 1

*edit*, figured it out, sorry for the bump