How do you all feel about 4K textures? 

Fair warning, apparently 4k textures causes severe texture quality issues if your texture quality setting is standard or lower.  Let me condense my thoughts on this issue, it's 2019, A3 is over 5 years old.  Stop using your dad's Commando 64.  Buy a new GPU.

4k textures will also include the file size by at least 4x.  And I'll tell you now plan on the next update being increased at least 8 times with 4k textures.  So yes, DHI Uniforms and Equipment will probably go over 1 gb.  Thoughts?

• Like 7

4k textures would be nice I think you should do it

• Like 1

Obviously, I can only speak for myself, but playing on high settings and just having installed a new 500GB SSD for ArmA alone, I’d say: Do it!

• Like 1

Im all for it!

EDIT: Reconsidering it. The significant increase in size is not worth it.

• Like 1

Size and graphical load are no issue for me, future proof it to your hearts content.  I'd still use your stuff even if it was half the resolution it is now, though.  

• Like 1

I kinda don't see the point honestly. The uniforms look perfectly good as they are now.

• Like 7

I think everything looks fine as it is and I do only have so much space on my drive. but its your mod and if thats what you wanna do I can't really argue with it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, simkas said:

I kinda don't see the point honestly. The uniforms look perfectly good as they are now.

I have a nice machine (intel i7 + 16gb RAM + GTX 1060) but I don't have much drive space (128gb for SO and 500gb for games). So, thinking only about myself, I don't see the point in 4k textures.

• Like 1

Honestly it would only be eye candy for licking distance. Arma already is not a good runner as it is even with gitgud GPUs, and at functional distance what we currently have is perfectly fine.

The increase in space and performance hit would not be worth any increase in visual fidelity, especially since most people I know who don't have god-tier PCs run on medium tex quality for performance reasons (some of us aren't in a financial position to acquire a better GPU, Tim...…). 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Delta Hawk said:

CUP added some good quality old school Aimpoints mostly seen in the early 2000s.

Thanks, I downloaded it, I'll check it out when I have some time. 

Btw, while I know that people can have some issues with 4k textures, I'd appreciate them, because your gear would look even more great. I tend to prefer performance but in that case I don't really know. I'd stay around the 2k mark, maybe?

Some stuff I did with your gear+some other mods: 🙂

39943280F8413AC2256135918843939AE3F86BF2

F6A9EF384973CDDADE1A52D5771F9C5B0A98E76E

AD71D4EDE4A405CC80B7EDD208D005D2149F4646

9D56ACDEE97727CD6E6890E13FF9066FA9F84816

D0FEC9C1281E228EB5FF494FB2599D10D15247BE

• Like 2

Maybe upload alone/add to DHI test version (1-2 uniforms in 4k) so people can check it.
Imo 4k would be great.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Delta Hawk said:

How do you all feel about 4K textures? 

4k textures will also include the file size by at least 4x.  And I'll tell you now plan on the next update being increased at least 8 times with 4k textures.  So yes, DHI Uniforms and Equipment will probably go over 1 gb.  Thoughts?

It could be 20 gb for all I care, its worth it! You always amaze me in how much detail you put in your work, I'm always look forward to seeing the next update. Keep up the good work!

A lot of comments!  Thanks for the feedback guys.  I really appreciate it.  It gives me a much better idea of where to go with the 4ks.  I would like to point out a few quick things.

There's a huge difference in texture quality...a huge difference.  To give you an idea, I would say the current helmets are at 4k resolution (even though it's 2k)  My old helmets I would consider to be 2k resolution even though they're 1k.

I also want to over engineer the mod, meaning I want it to last for at least a decade and hold their own against future mods or games, much like my USM mod has done since 2014.  If I make them amazingly awesome and high quality now, I won't have to redo them...ever, because I probably would have retired from this before I consider redoing them.

4ks still still mipmap correctly to I believe "high" texture quality.  I can't say I've notice any performance issues with higher texture sizes other than a couple poorly optimized mods.

But Kofeina101does have a good idea.  I'll either upload a few test uniforms or upload a set with 4k textures and see how well that works.  I can reevaluate the decision to move to complete 4k after that.  Maybe I can make three separate steam workshop items, the main one, and one with low res textures and the other with high res textures, or create a new Steam Workshop item that makes then all high res.

• Like 13

Making the 4k textures a separate addon would pretty much be the best of both worlds. Even better if it could be set up in such a way that it would work as a clientside mod. So a server could have the regular DHI loaded but clients could connect with the 4k one if they wanted.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Delta Hawk said:

There's a huge difference in texture quality...a huge difference.  To give you an idea, I would say the current helmets are at 4k resolution (even though it's 2k)  My old helmets I would consider to be 2k resolution even though they're 1k.

4ks still still mipmap correctly to I believe "high" texture quality.  I can't say I've notice any performance issues with higher texture sizes other than a couple poorly optimized mods.

But Kofeina101does have a good idea.  I'll either upload a few test uniforms or upload a set with 4k textures and see how well that works.  I can reevaluate the decision to move to complete 4k after that.  Maybe I can make three separate steam workshop items, the main one, and one with low res textures and the other with high res textures, or create a new Steam Workshop item that makes then all high res.

Yeah, that's because of that difference that I would like to see the mod updated to have 4k textures. The only times I've had problems with mods were when they were badly optimized. Mods can become quite taxing on weaker systems (and even ArmA is quite taxing on its own), that's why I was talking about performance. And yes, if I recall correctly the 4k textures are correctly displayed on "high" settings.

The solution to split the 4k mod from the "main branch" would be good. I'd say the best course of action is to have the current mod as it is right now and make an "update pack" on the workshop that makes it become high res. Or just make two separate versions, the regular (current) one and the high res 4k version. The thing is, that would probably mean you have to deal with a heavier workload, especially when you decide to add new stuff or things like that (which is not a problem if you're willing to do it, we just don't want you burnt out from all the work).

What Simkas said sounds like a decent idea actually, having some sort of "upgrade patch" that uses the same keys and everything so it can work clientside. It'll be a bit of a hassle but I imagine it's the best of both worlds.

Disregard, mixed this up with another mod.

Edited by mandaloin

I've got no problem with 4K textures; good to future-proof.

Higher textures are always nice but it's a question of how big the mod will get as you continue adding content such as armour, etc. I'm not a massive stickler for textures as to me they look good already especially in comparison to the rest of the game and feel like they don't look too out of place (being way higher quality) than vanilla assets.

But definitely go with what you think is best, future proofing isn't a bad idea especially if the speculations of ARMA 4's development are true and porting is possible because YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH OLD SCHOOL COOL!

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 10:47 AM, khaosmatical said:

Higher textures are always nice but it's a question of how big the mod will get as you continue adding content such as armour, etc. I'm not a massive stickler for textures as to me they look good already especially in comparison to the rest of the game and feel like they don't look too out of place (being way higher quality) than vanilla assets.

But definitely go with what you think is best, future proofing isn't a bad idea especially if the speculations of ARMA 4's development are true and porting is possible because YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH OLD SCHOOL COOL!

Big brain idea: Remake all of the USM body armor + some others (SWAT/Delta Force vests, Interceptor, etc.) to fit DHI uniforms and then declare it the replacement for USM altogether

3 hours ago, extracrispi said:

Big brain idea: Remake all of the USM body armor + some others (SWAT/Delta Force vests, Interceptor, etc.) to fit DHI uniforms and then declare it the replacement for USM altogether

I'm not talking about USM, I'm talking solely about this. I thought the plan was to rework/remake a lot of USM's content anyway for a new release. My point is the mod will be large with all of it having 4k textures.

4 hours ago, extracrispi said:

I've been doing this...sort of.

Does anybody have any pictures of US military in cold weather gear or M65 field jackets?

• Like 3

So I thought I'd chip in how I see it: I love the mod and especially the level of detail, however I do not have a beasty PC, I can't run ArmA on high settings and the loading of big mods affects my system even more. So as much as I would love 4k textures, I probably wouldn't be able to appreciate them, as my system would be challenged even more. I spend a lot of time in the virtual arsenal and "play dress up" but after all I want to use them in gameplay, even if its just for a short DRO.

• Like 1