Mr H.

return object's init

Hi! simple question : is there a way to return an object's init code (set in the editor in its init field, or later with createVehicle) in the form of a string?

I can't believe there would not be, but I also can't find anything. What are you trying to do?

I've made a script that grabs objects and stores their position relative to an object, I'd like to spawn compositions with it and also if needed store what was in the object's init field to re execute the code on the newly created object duplicate.

There is no getter/setter for objects' init field code.

Don't forget the vehicle init is just another code you run when player starts the game. So, you can "read" it as you do with init.sqf (but the init field is unscheduled). The only link with the object (referring to this init field) is the special variable  THIS . So, you can script what you want somewhere else with a named object. You can use handle script also.

Now, for respawn, or saving position, or whatever reasons like you want to do, one solution is to setVariable on this object:  This setVariable ["objectData", [getpos this, getDir this]];

You can even run what you need referring to set/getVariable.

Example:

this  (or object name)  setVariable ["MGIcustomCode",  ' 0 = [] spawn {waitUntil {!isNull player}; hint ("hello "+ (name player))} ' ];  call compile (this getVariable "mgiCustomcode");  // run as standard init field

Later, you can re-run the code, referring to the object, (or the old vehicle, or the killed unit... depending on EHs or module exressions)

[] execVM (yourObject getVariable "mgiCustomCode")

• Like 1

Thank you for your answer but that won't work for what I'm trying to do, the goal being to develop a simple composition grabber/ spawner. The idea was that I would for instance create a nice composition with animated characters, the animation would be coded in the characters' init field, this would mean that when I grab a composition I'd also grab whatever code they have and reexecute it when I spawn the composition, for any given composition, quickly and without  reassigning scripts. (Which is what I'm doing so far and is rather tedious).

1 hour ago, Mr H. said:

Thank you for your answer but that won't work for what I'm trying to do, the goal being to develop a simple composition grabber/ spawner. The idea was that I would for instance create a nice composition with animated characters, the animation would be coded in the characters' init field, this would mean that when I grab a composition I'd also grab whatever code they have and reexecute it when I spawn the composition, for any given composition, quickly and without  reassigning scripts. (Which is what I'm doing so far and is rather tedious).

Don't see why this wouldn't work.

You set a variable in the objects init field, just modify the grabber function to also read the variable and store it in the array generated by the grabber, then use it when spawning the composition.

Cheers

If you also give the object a name. You can #include the mission.sqm in the description.ext, then manually parse it till you find the object's name and from there on find the corresponding text for the init script.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Don't see why this wouldn't work.

You set a variable in the objects init field, just modify the grabber function to also read the variable and store it in the array generated by the grabber, then use it when spawning the composition.

Cheers

That's exactly what I'm doing right now, but I'd like it to be automated ^^

3 hours ago, Dedmen said:

If you also give the object a name. You can #include the mission.sqm in the description.ext, then manually parse it till you find the object's name and from there on find the corresponding text for the init script.

Thanks I tried looking in the mission sqm, but failed , didn't know I could #include it, with your solution It might just work!