Sign in to follow this  
The Tetanus Clam

Game Freezes Every Few Minutes

Hi there.

I'm currently running a high-end ryzen build (ryzen 5 2600 + gtx1080 + 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM + MSI x470 gaming motherboard) which is much better than a previous build I played arma on. 

Though I am getting much better performance in general than my old AMD build, my game freezes (no "not responding" error on windows) for about 30 seconds and then resumes. What's interesting is that thought the video and controls freeze, audio still comes through just fine.

In single player, the game will stop, video freeze, and controls lock up, but I can still hear ambient sounds. In multiplayer, the video will freeze, controls lock up but I can still hear other players talk in real time, so the game is still technically working.

I have absolutely no idea how to fix this. I tried verifying the game cache on steam and a few other basic troubleshooting methods but I'm lost. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Could you share your RPT?

What's your CPU/GPU usage and temperature when arma is running?

Have you verified your game files?

Does your game fully freeze or does it drop down to 1FPS or something like that?

It's best to share (explicitly) what "basic troubleshooting methods" you have used (that way we don't tell you to do what you've already done). I just had a quick Google and this seems to be an issue with Ryzens. AMD have released a BIOS update for just that issue, has yours been updated?

I just had this happen to me over the last 2 days as well and I believe its HDD parking related. I have ARMA on a SSD and when my HDD spins down, it seems to lockup ARMA for a while. If I do something to keep the HDD spinning, I never experience the lock.

If you have more than 1 HDD, you can test this theory by both disconnecting it and playing with 1x HDD only with ARMA or leave another program like windows explorer opened on the other HDD. See if that makes a difference.

On a SDD, turning it back on is so fast it won't matter.