SynicalBeing

Arma 3 - Possible Console Idea

Hello Gamers and Devs, 

I had an idea based off of Dayz coming to console. As it is merely a idea, I feel as a gamer that many others would love to have Arma 3 come to console just like Dayz. I have played over 3,000 hours of Arma 3 across my multiple accounts and loved playing the Arma 3 Altis Life RP mode the most. The sense of having the Role-Play and either being a civilian, EMS, or Police officer was awesome. I don't know how many people would love this on console, but I do know that there are limitless supporters of this game that would love to have that aspect running smoothly on a console as well as still on pc. I know it would be a long process, but it would also spread the support of the game and rack in more money for the company. I believe gamers on console would support this idea. Let me know what you think. As I said, it's a far fetched idea, but if it happens, I believe it could work. Especially if it had a cross platform to it. 

I don't think porting ArmA 3 to console would be viable/economical for BI.

There are so many key binds that ArmA uses. If they were to port it to console it would be very dumbed down and basic which would ruin the fun part about the game which is its complexity.

Welcome to Bis forums btw OP!

About the only thing closest Arma3 is going to get to console is your ability to use a console controller to play the game,

i have a friend that plays like that, but he also uses his keyboard for other controls.

Like the others said, the keyboard/mouse functions would have to be streamlined in order to work with the game, throw in mods like ace, and others

that require a bit of configuration and your going to have a headache.

Also some other questions would be, how would you install any mods? Could you install a mod, mission, script, tool on the console?

Is there a way to access the Arma3 directory so you can place a pbo in the mission/mp missions folder, or is the console aspect going to be

all steam based which not all missions and mods are on steam, so then what?

Arma3 like all arma games is imo really designed and setup for pc, consider that its a military sim sandbox, theres alot involved.

• Like 3

It's generally accepted that Arma on consoles would be far more trouble than its worth, for both developers and end users.

Making up for the lack of a keyboard would necessitate the use of a hideous number of control combinations, and I can't see anyone trying to make a mission with an xbox controller.

Not to mention that a console port would prevent the use of mods and addons, which are of course a huge part of the appeal.

• Like 1

To add some weight to this all, back when OFP:Resistance was released they did a console version, might have been x-box only. I can't quote any stats on it but i believe it didn't work out well. I think they even had to strip some of the features to make it happen and since then the games have gotten more and more complex. 

BI recently released a console only survival game recently. Have you had a look at that? 

Vigor

I think it's still in beta i think. 

They will have to sacrifice so much in graphics and gameplay for the game to be playable in consoles.It will not be an ArmA game anymore.Not to mention the economical part as stated above.

But is that really true?

- Yes, A3 has a truckton of buttons to press, but in my normal gameplay, I barely use half of that. Most actions could be easily mapped on a gamepad. Some sort of inventory / action wheel would make it easier. Planes might be more complicated, but maybe not... I'm not much a pilot.

- You can forget about mods, that one is kinda obvious. It's not that mods generally wouldn't work, but all the crap around it. I remember it took Bethsoft lots of time to convince Microsoft / Sony to allow mods on their hardware. But how many games do even support mods on console? At this point, nobody expects mods.

- Performance is a big issue, and probably the main blocker. Still, I'm pretty sure it would be possible if the scenarios are explicitly designed to run on a console.

Not saying that Arma on console is a good / bad idea, just my two cents.

I think the graphics on the console would be fine, probably ps4 or xbox or one of them, main thing would be controls.

Couldn't pay me to play on console, i've had the same keyboard layout, setup from OFP up to arma3 now, i've got ruts where i press the buttons, lol

Been on the pc such a long time too, i cant take console gaming seriously in terms of building or creating something, why arma to me is such a great game that its best left on a pc.

Arma is a hands on game, for us modders, coders, scripters, mission, terrain, and model builders a console defeats the purpose of what arma is all about.

Alot of average players to the game, that play to just play that aren't "involved"  really dont understand that the editor is the root, core and base of this game.

It has a whole nother level to it that unless you dig and look for it you will only see the surface of what people are playing or playing with, this other level is what makes the game tick,

once you step into that world of arma the value of the game becomes exponential.

On 11/19/2018 at 11:16 AM, sbondo1234 said:

There are so many key binds that ArmA uses. If they were to port it to console it would be very dumbed down and basic which would ruin the fun part about the game which is its complexity.

Its easy to do this...just put the controles pressing R1/L1 and select the option.

the controls of the Arma are many but they would use these commands by pressing button R1, for other L1 commands or until at the same time the R1 / L1. They just need to think.