Hello. I've just begun to make some assets for arma with the aim at starting simple (or what I assume to be simple). Thus far I have created a model of a medical ship, I have been able to import the model into game as either a boat with buoyancy and as a static object. For the scope of the object I prefer a static object, the intent is a platform similar to the carrier that the IDAP/UN faction can deploy from, again the intent is a simple model no doors maybe ladders in the future. At this point I have the ship in game and it is place able and I receive no errors. However when I attempt to land on the ship (helicopter) I clip through it and when I place a unit on the ship and run around at a certain distance I fall through it. I have Geometry LOD, Roadway LOD and regular (resolution?) LODs, I have not applied any texturing or mapping as the first step (in my head) is to get the shapes working. I remember reading something on object size limits and I'm pretty sure that's the problem. The object is nearly the size of USS Freedom, I guess I need to break it into smaller models and stitch them together, can anybody point me in the right direction for doing so? Thanks!

• Like 1

You have to limit the geo and road lod to 40x40 or at most 50x50 meter segments. The res LOD can be larger nowadays it seems. For constructing the static ship you need some init eventhandler function that spawns the needed p3ds, check out the Freedom or Nimitz init functions. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay cool, where do I find these? I'm looking in the samples folder and my install folder but no dice...

4 hours ago, Cockheaven said:

Okay cool, where do I find these? I'm looking in the samples folder and my install folder but no dice...

The best way forward is to get a de-pbo tool like Mikeros' tools (they can do much more, recommend to try the free tools first and if you like them spend the dollars to get the paid version). Take for example the Nimitz pbo, jdg_carrier.pbo and de-pbo it and look inside the folder structure for functions and fn_init.sqf. Also use some decent editor (not notepad) with syntax highlighting for SQF.

Alternatively you can use the function viewer built into the tools menu of the Eden editor. There you can check the Jets DLC functions and find the init for the Freedom. But as it refers to an 'include' file, you need to still de-pbo the appropriate pbo file from jets dlc.

Good luck.

Thanks TeTeT, I use sublime(Poseidon I think) and I have PBO maker which can PBO, what I'm asking is for the directory, I will keep poking around... or are you saying its the jdg_carrier.pbo in the Jets addons folder? Thanks again!

Nvm found it!

Edited by Cockheaven

Update pics.
https://imgur.com/a/ibsyjMA

Beautiful textureless geometry.
A few problems to note, most of my Geo LODs are simple boxes but some of them are allowing clipping (they all contain components with mass and ive checked the normal) not sure what to look for to resolve that. Also the last picture shows how vehicles interact with horizontal surfaces of the model, the "lean" and eventually roll over while hovering above the surface. Anyway mistakes were made, lessons were learned, and I'm beating my head against a rock called progress. 
Big thanks to @TeTeT, @HorribleGoat and @HazJ for their help!

• Like 1

Beautiful textureless geometry.

Is that your geometry LOD you shown there in the resolution LOD? If yes, you should optimize it. If geometry LOD looks beautifull it is a bad LOD - it must be as simple as possible.  The railing is way too detailed, also the "mushrooms". Put that in the fireGeo if you really must (but reduce railing to 3 or 4 edgesat most around the circumference ). In geo LOD such detail does not belong, there is no point having a "round rail" in there. It gives no benefit for collision with humans or vehicles, but it costs more performance. The mushrooms should be simple cubes (if at all) for example. For PhysX LOD you should propably even delete all the vertical pieces of the rails (it gets rid of a huge amount of componentXX's that need to be checked for collision), because they have minimal effect.