Sign in to follow this  
suchey

Satellite uplink

I would like to make a request to the modeling and addon making community for a man portable field satellite uplink. I have scripting for missions in which one of these items would be most excellent . I have included a couple link to get ideas on how something like this would look...basically Im looking for something that is man portable/suitcase deployable...you've all seen these, Im sure, in some movie or website somewhere...here are a couple links:

http://www.army-technology.com/contrac....31.html

http://www.specwargear.com/communication.html

Obviously it doesnt have to be exactly like this...but it will give you a general idea. I think this would probably be relatively simple to create and would get ALOT of use by mission editors.

As an additional idea...it would be great if the model was animated (although unnecessary)...in that the dish folded out and stuff. Just some ideas. Hopefully someone will pick up the ball and run with it! I already have some good scripting which would use this extensively.

Pack #2 is preliminarily slated for a late January release...we are currently working with a couple of addon makers and finalizing the content. Theres so much great stuff out there its hard to keep it at a reasonable size! Feel free to visit our forums and post requests or thoughts on the pack.

Regarding the sat uplink...I also have some scripting for this as well...do I read your post correctly in that you are going to build the model? If so...good news!

I can't model. I'm the board idiot tounge.gif

I might be able to convince someone to make it... I'll see if deadsoldier would. I doubt he will though smile.gif

Scorpio...heres a few more pics I found:

shows the scale as it relates to a soldier:

http://www.raytheon.com/newsroom/photogal/00500228_2.htm

see psc-5 at this link:

http://www.specwargear.com/communication.html

here is an alternate terminal for the dish:

http://www.naval-technology.com/contrac....33.html

Thats all I could find ...hope this helps...glad someone is going to tackle this project!

I'll just get you started with a simple model...

I wouldnt do the alternative terminal just yet though smile.gif

More than fair...I just came across the pic when searching for the pis of the unit. I often wish I had the talent to be able to do these things, unfortunately I have no concept of 3d modeling or importing into OFP, etc....Scorp...you rock man...thanks for putting this together!

It's actually pretty easy to learn the clicks of a modelling program such as O2. Follow Col_Klink's tutorial on planes...I think you might find it useful. 3D modelling is all easy...its just the thinking and the imagination in the brain that counts. smile.gif

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sam.adham/OFP/satellite.p3d

Hows this? If I had any other pics, or even better a blueprint, then I can improve it.

WOW...that was fast...looks good to me! Most of the minor details can be handled by the skin...you work quickly! As for additional pictures and blueprints, I dont think it needs to look exactly like the one I had links to...just basic proportions (as it reltaes to the soldiers in the game) and the general idea is what I had in mind. Go nuts with ideas of your own! Heres the background on what I want to use it for...I have a script written which works as a satellite uplink...Im not a big fan of the goofy yellow target boxes the commander can assign in game... a couple of the mission editors and myself use this satellite uplink as an alternative in some of our missions we have created for adversarial play and ungroup the teams so that target boxes cannot be used. It gives an overhead view of an area of the battlefield and is usable by the officer only. What I want to use this addon for is so that the officer (or communications guy) will unpack this item onto the field when he uses the sat imaging system. There are more details as to how the scripting works, but this is a brief overview of it.

That sounds pretty interesting... however, i'm not sure it can be 'packed up' due to limitations. I said i can just give you the model...too busy to work on any textures. smile.gif

I already have the script ready for simulating a packing and unpacking of the item...regarding the skin...thats fine...I think I (or someone else) can take it from here...thanks! Of course, if any of the folks who are vastly more talented than I in the community would like to make additions, skin the model, or add annimations of the "umrella antenna" opening , I would certainly welcome the help! biggrin.gif When all is said and done I will release the entire thing (including scripting, etc) in the off-chance that anyone else wants to use it themselves in thier missions.

I tackled some modeling and made some changes to the dish as well as added the secondary device...Im in the process of skinning the whole nut, but here it is so far:

sat.jpg

Looks rather spiffy biggrin.gif I love non conventional objects such as that for ofp. Cant all be guns, tanks and helicopters.

Yeah looking very good, i'll be keeping my eye out for this release. That thing will be very welcome in many missions. smile.gif  smile.gif

ME WANT ME WANT ME WANT, ive been wanting one of these for well ever scince the release of ofp. u must release this soon please!!!!!!!!! tounge.gif

Ive been working on merging the sat scripting with the addon, but I think I may keep them seperate now. Merging the scripts with the model limits the usability by mission designers to only using it in one particular way. If I do decide to do this, I will also include tutorials and scripts for using the sat and packing/unpacking the unit.

well...Im considering just leaving it as an object...havent decided yet...If I do decide to incorporate the scripting it will provide an overhead sat image of the battlefield and be portable. Im not sure I want to incorporate the script into the onject itself as it would limit mission designers use to only what I script for it...if I leave it as an object and simply include the link and tutorials for scripts then a mission designer can use it in any way they wish. What do you guys think? Leave it as an object or incorporate the script? The downside to packing the script into the object is that I dont know of any way to have files intended for the description.ext to be run from the config of the model...the rest works ok and can be done, but lines would have to be added to the description.ext in a mission to allow it to run properly.

Please release a beta please!! i love this i really dont care if it doesent do anything but my god that would be cool for specops missions or something. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suchey @ Jan. 03 2003,00:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well...Im considering just leaving it as an object...havent decided yet...If I do decide to incorporate the scripting it will provide an overhead sat image of the battlefield and be portable.  Im not sure I want to incorporate the script into the onject itself as it would limit mission designers use to only what I script for it...if I leave it as an object and simply include the link and tutorials for scripts then a mission designer can use it in any way they wish.  What do you guys think?  Leave it as an object or incorporate the script?  The downside to packing the script into the object is that I dont know of any way to have files intended for the description.ext to be run from the config of the model...the rest works ok and can be done, but lines would have to be added to the description.ext in a mission to allow it to run properly.<span id='postcolor'>

You could release two versions, one with and one without. I think you can call a script from the config.cpp file or something and use addaction to make it work ingame?!?

Well i dont know really, try asking Keg or one of the other brains.