flashartist50

I do not understand the "FOLLOW" waypoint.

So, there's not a single source of information on the internet that can help me understand the "FOLLOW" waypoint. As far as I'm concerned, it's absolutely useless. I've tried using it with infantry/vehicles, and it just doesn't do s--t. Does anybody have a single clue as to what I'm suppose to do with it?

Here's what I'm doing as a simple example:
1. Create Squad 1, and Squad 2.
2. Create a "MOVE" waypoint 300 meters forward for Squad 1.
3. Create a "FOLLOW" waypoint for Squad 2, and snap it to Squad 1.

Result:
Squad 1 moves. Squad 2 stands and does absolutely nothing. You can do this with vehicles aswell, and it's the same issue.

I'm obviously frustrated.

• Thanks 1

I've got it working but it was very buggy. Spawn a hunter and make some move waypoints then a blackhawk and put follow waypoint on hunter. 

According to the Biki, the FOLLOW waypoint is similar in function to doFollow/commandFollow, in which case, you would use it to make a unit rejoin its given formation. In your example, just give Squad 2 its own MOVE waypoint - it involves the same amount of work.

Many BIS commands/functions are named in misleading ways. Always read the Biki entry.

• Like 4

Just gonna put this here:

On 10/25/2018 at 5:52 AM, Grumpy Old Man said:

Even nowadays I still stumble upon interesting alternate syntax options.

Also don't apply logic/your own conclusions on how a script command should work regarding its name, won't end well (*cough* playerViewChanged *cough* setWeaponReloadingTime).

Cheers

@Grumpy Old Man :rofl:

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Spatsiba said:

I've got it working but it was very buggy. Spawn a hunter and make some move waypoints then a blackhawk and put follow waypoint on hunter. 

Agree. I'd rather making a convoy with the Hunter (leader) and the blackHawk. Just pay attention for not too small separation distance in this case.

Already tested.

6 hours ago, Harzach said:

According to the Biki, the FOLLOW waypoint is similar in function to doFollow/commandFollow, in which case, you would use it to make a unit rejoin its given formation. In your example, just give Squad 2 its own MOVE waypoint - it involves the same amount of work.

Many BIS commands/functions are named in misleading ways. Always read the Biki entry.

Well, now I'm just confused.

How on earth did this guy do it????

Not sure. Even the most dead-simple test in the editor (one vehicle set to follow another, in which "vehicle" can mean "man", "car", etc.) does not work. That video is from two years ago, maybe something was "fixed" in the interim. It doesn't look like it works very well in that video, anyway.

There was some discussion about convoy-building recently, have a look here: 

• Like 1

Hey, 2020 is anyone here?

Сan anyone explain how "FOLLOW" works?

Everything I try in the editor doesn't work. What is this waypoint for?

Hi, sorry to come so late to the party. The Waypoint works just fine. The most important thing to remember is to change the Waypoint condition from "true" to something different of your choice. Otherwise, the WP il just auto-complete by itself.

• Like 1

I've found a fix but sometimes it doesn't works, set the condition from true to false in the attributes and set the max timer to something crazy like 1000000000