3 hours ago, Mr Elusive said:

Do you set up HAL in any particular way? (personality, objective settings etc.)

for sector control not really. Just leave everything as it is. Other than Commander personality as ideal and change the Capture radius according to the sector size.

Also threw HAL into a Liberation mission. That took a bit of work. 

• Thanks 1

Hetman Artificial  Leader --> NR6 never fails to give a lot of pleasure.  Winter maps are particularly good to fight in I find. I was fighting this armored battle in E. Chernarus and the tank I was driver in got knocked out. The entire crew bailed and got orders to retreat to the rear. Pretty boring eh? But not really. Turns out there was a tank waiting in reserve up a back road and our crew and another knocked out crew was ordered on board for another ride into battle as infantry. Such a surprise and so cool to see Arma 3 evolve to this level of reasonable AI.  

And I don't know whether it's the Arma 3 upgraded AI or NR6 but convoys are flawless. No more monkeying around with bad pathfinding. 4 transport trucks each one packed with a full squad all racing together in tight unison up and down hills on a winding dirt road through a pitch dark winter night with their headlights on at top speed, all flawless, without a hitch like it was meant to be. 

This is truly the best way to play Arma 3; no more online nonsense with wannabe Rambos, no more schoolyard recess style chaos. Just a good solid experience with every unit in the game under tight military discipline under a rational commander in the midst of absolute carnage. I know you must be busy Ninja, but trust me on this everyone that plays this derivation of Arma 3 loves it and appreciates the excellent work you've done on top of Hetman's original creation.

YmXHYxx.jpg

nOjLYWs.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 12:31 AM, NinjaRider600 said:

To set them up, simply sync the module to a unit you want to register as a type defined by the module in question. The module will retrieve the class of the unit/vehicle and HAL will consider that object a certain type. For example, for a moded ammo truck, place down the ammo support RHQ module and sync it to that truck. Now all trucks of that class will be known to HAL for being ammo trucks. The synced unit can still be used during the mission as the module won't affect it. The RHQ modules can also be used in conjunction with the asset compiler as they will run before the asset compiler snatches the groups and deletes them.

Should you double link units, both as squads  and through their type module as well? Or is just the type module enough?l

A good sample of the tactics this mod offers. The objective was Pulkovo and the fireteam I was in was sent to the south of hte town to guard the flank of the main thrust of the army, but the US Army, instead of going for Pulkovo did a powerful flanking movement to the north to hit us in the rear accompanied by relentless artillery strikes. We were sent to wheel around and hit the flank of the American thrust but we were butchered in the forest. 

d3OnRag.jpg

This never fails to make me laugh.

tpkUBIv.jpg

What a great game.

On 11/1/2020 at 9:42 PM, Mr Elusive said:

I've tried searching these forums and posted in the Steam Workshop comments, but I can't find an obvious answer -- Is there a way to end a HAL mission when an AI commander has taken all his objectives?

I'm sure a simple trigger sync'd to an End Scenario module would do the trick, but I have no idea what condition to use. Any ideas?

Got it!

When you place simple objective modules, give them variables names - for example objective_1, objective_2, etc. Place down a trigger and sync it to an End Scenario module.

Example:
The trigger condition for checking if an objective module is owned by Leader A is as follows:

objective_1 getVariable "rydhq_takenleader" == "LeaderHQ"

For multiple objective modules you'll need to use && (AND) statements in the condition. For example, let's say we want the game to end when Leader A captures objectives 1 through 4:

objective_1 getVariable "rydhq_takenleader" == "LeaderHQ" && objective_2 getVariable "rydhq_takenleader" == "LeaderHQ" && objective_3 getVariable "rydhq_takenleader" == "LeaderHQ" && objective_4 getVariable "rydhq_takenleader" == "LeaderHQ"

"LeaderHQ" is Leader A. If you want Leader B, change it to "LeaderHQB" and so forth.

Hope this helps anayone else who has the same issue.

After further testing this doesn't appear to work - apologies for the misinformation.

I made a test mission with neutral objectives. Leader A took every objective, but according to the debug console the rydhq_takenleader variable doesn't change for any of the modules, so the victory trigger never activates. I suspect that rydhq_takenleader variable is just the initial owner of the objective when the mission starts.

So to rephrase my original question, how do you check the current owner of an objective?

Adding between the objectives "Dynamic Marke", when a unit reaches the objective, adds a blue, red or green mark depending on the side that reaches the objective. The marker is located at NR6 SITE MARKERS -> DYNAMIC MARKER

I would love to see the NR6 edit of Hetman War Stories get updated to the 1.10 version of HWS. There's a lot of potential there for SP players if it happens. I commented as much on the Nr6 HWS workshop page over a month ago but never got a response.

On 12/22/2020 at 11:03 AM, AtomicBoy said:

Adding between the objectives "Dynamic Marke", when a unit reaches the objective, adds a blue, red or green mark depending on the side that reaches the objective. The marker is located at NR6 SITE MARKERS -> DYNAMIC MARKER

I tried this before but it's the marker doesn't reflect which HAL commander has taken an objective. It's based on if a side is present/dominant in its detect radius.

1. Place a simple objective down, set owner to the opposing side. (We'll use OPFOR for this example)
  2. Enable "Objective Status Tasks" in Commander Objective Settings module.
  3. Place the Dynamic Marker module in the same spot as the objective.
  4. Do the rest of your setup and start the mission.
  5. Walk into the objective radius. The marker will change to "sized by BLUFOR", but the task generated by HAL will show as hostile.

The owner of a simple objective must be stored in a variable somewhere, although I'll be damned if I can find it.

On 12/23/2020 at 12:09 PM, scimitar said:

I would love to see the NR6 edit of Hetman War Stories get updated to the 1.10 version of HWS. There's a lot of potential there for SP players if it happens.

Totally agree. Random battle locations + easy configuration of participant factions + easy mission portability on any map + NR6 PACK fatures = infinite replayability.

On 12/23/2020 at 12:09 PM, scimitar said:

I commented as much on the Nr6 HWS workshop page over a month ago but never got a response.

i saw Ninja`s answer somewhere in workshop comments that he had some RL issues in proffessional sphere cause of covid situation. really hope that everything will be fine for him and he will be able to find time for his brilliant mod again.

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2020 at 3:56 AM, Mr Elusive said:

I tried this before but it's the marker doesn't reflect which HAL commander has taken an objective. It's based on if a side is present/dominant in its detect radius.

1. Place a simple objective down, set owner to the opposing side. (We'll use OPFOR for this example)
  2. Enable "Objective Status Tasks" in Commander Objective Settings module.
  3. Place the Dynamic Marker module in the same spot as the objective.
  4. Do the rest of your setup and start the mission.
  5. Walk into the objective radius. The marker will change to "sized by BLUFOR", but the task generated by HAL will show as hostile.

The owner of a simple objective must be stored in a variable somewhere, although I'll be damned if I can find it.

Hi i don't know if this helps i use this in my trigger activation, which triggers every time an objective is taken by a specific leader: (o_1 in ((group LeaderHQ) getvariable ["RydHQ_Taken",[]])) where o_1 is the name of objective taken by LeaderHQ (leader A). in condition i use it to change markertype of an marker placed over the objective, i normally use flags. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sixt said:

(o_1 in ((group LeaderHQ) getvariable ["RydHQ_Taken",[]]))

THANK YOU! This is exactly what I was looking for...and it comes on Christmas of all days! 🎅

Just tried it in a test scenario with a trigger linked to an end scenario module. HAL ordered me to take the sector, I obliged and and the mission ended as expected.

Hey brand new to this, I saw the video posted earlier on YouTube and thought I'd check it out.
Seem fairly straight forward although the number of modules can be a little overwhelming especially when you don't know if they need syncing and if so what to.

The main question I have though is how do I have the mission start with one force already garrisoning a town? For my first mission using this framework I thought a simple WW2 town assault would be a cool start, but haven't been able to work out how to have the German units spawning in town as a garrison?
Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Should I simply be placing the units where I want them and then just letting the commander take over?

16 hours ago, JD Wang said:

The main question I have though is how do I have the mission start with one force already garrisoning a town? For my first mission using this framework I thought a simple WW2 town assault would be a cool start, but haven't been able to work out how to have the German units spawning in town as a garrison?
Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Should I simply be placing the units where I want them and then just letting the commander take over?

as it seems to me, it will take two steps:

1. form garrison pool: place Asset Compiler module, type some "Name" in "Array Variable" field in its attributes. place and link to compiler all units you want to be in garrison.

2. spawn pool: i guess, Site module will be suitable for you task. place it in town, type in "Name" in the "Pool" field and other attributes, link to side HAL Commander.

• Thanks 2

On 12/26/2020 at 7:52 PM, JD Wang said:

Hey brand new to this, I saw the video posted earlier on YouTube and thought I'd check it out.
Seem fairly straight forward although the number of modules can be a little overwhelming especially when you don't know if they need syncing and if so what to.

Have you checked out the demo missions? They have annotated markers explaining each module. Air Reinforcement modules are better explained in this post.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Uho5dX3KR2DKd8DJ_oY3iu9MJEg_cj1/view?usp=drive_open
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EJC48ee-3MbBCfR_5YnCC7neiYVV_xTF/view?usp=drive_open

Pages 33-36 of the original HAL manual will help you use the correct RHQ modules for custom units.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u5f8tm6hlp2qwi/HAL 1.22.pdf?dl=0

A good trick is to open the VR map, make all you asset compiler / RHQ module presets, then save them as compositions. You can then just drag-and-drop them onto maps without having to set everything up again.

Edited by Mr Elusive
Added missing URL.

Does anyone know if this works with a Headless Client? My community is considering it as a DAC replacement - nothing had come close to DAC until this came along and seems to blow it out of the water - but headless client support is nice to have, especially on bigger missions.

59 minutes ago, BennySouthSt said:

Does anyone know if this works with a Headless Client? My community is considering it as a DAC replacement - nothing had come close to DAC until this came along and seems to blow it out of the water - but headless client support is nice to have, especially on bigger missions.

I use it with 2 headless clients and it works great. Haven't tested both HC and ZBE Cache enabled though.

For what it's worth, I use the script from Werthles' Headless Kit. There's probably other ways to implement HCs, but I personally found this method the easiest. Your mileage may vary of course 😉

• Like 1

Long time Alive user, and mission builder for myself and friends (too many mods required to release to public), however, I've been eyeballing this mod for awhile, looks very interesting.  I think I'm going to finally give it a go this week and try to build a mission.  Although, going to start with the test missions provided above to get some understanding of how this mod works.

I downloaded the original HAL manual.  Is that manual relevant with this version of HAL?  I did find a tutorial which seems fairly detailed, which should help a noob with HAL.

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

I downloaded the original HAL manual.  Is that manual relevant with this version of HAL?

Yes. The manual documents some interesting variables you can adjust. It also does a better job of explaining what each of the RHQ modules do and how they work -- this is essential knowledge for custom (non-vanilla) units.

That said, the sample missions explain the majority of features very well. I started off just by seeing how things were done in those, then went from there.

• Like 1

I don't know what I did but neither the helis or transport vehicles (like HEMTT) are actually carrying units. I was messing with the script based one for the last 2-3 days and it was working. Any idea. Trying in the "big boss", even trying the "demo missions", the one based in stratis

19 minutes ago, OyuncuDedeler said:

I don't know what I did but neither the helis or transport vehicles (like HEMTT) are actually carrying units.

That's strange. Is HAL issuing transport orders to them? (i.e. anything in the side chat?)

The only time I've seen that is when those vehicles haven't been designated cargo vehicles using RHQ modules.

2 hours ago, Mr Elusive said:

That's strange. Is HAL issuing transport orders to them? (i.e. anything in the side chat?)

The only time I've seen that is when those vehicles haven't beendesignated cargo vehicles using RHQ modules.

NOPE, it is only giving them move or seek and destroy. Thats why I am confused, because it was working like 2 days ago, I used the same init.sqf and all, it... just stopped working. its not even using the hemtt or any transport vehicle, only sentry or move for land, move or "seek and destroy" for air. I am using the script version and using the samples that were in the demo missions and such, but cant get it to work. If you guys have a pre-made mission or something that I can use to compare, or at least try to find what I did wrong, I would appreciate it.

On 2/17/2021 at 4:43 PM, Oyu said:

I am using the script version and using the samples that were in the demo missions and such, but cant get it to work. 

My apologies, I didn't realize you were using the script version. I've only used the mod version from the Steam Workshop so not sure if I can be of much help 😕

it is only giving them move or seek and destroy

I believe S&D is the default attack/recon waypoint. I've had these orders as a chopper pilot instead of pickup requests. But, as I said before, that's usually because I've forgot to define the helicopter as a cargo vehicle in RHQ array, or something to that effect.

If you guys have a pre-made mission or something that I can use to compare, or at least try to find what I did wrong, I would appreciate it.

Can you upload your mission to FileBin or somewhere? I'll take a look at it if I get some free time.

So I've been messing with the sample mission on Altis.  The first thing I'm directed to do is recon a town to the west of the main airbase.  Am I supposed to move to the recon waypoint or just observe from a distance that waypoint?  I tried both, nothing seemed to trigger.  When I made my way to the waypoint, I notice civilians getting into a HUMMIT transport, like they were troops.  After watching for a few minutes, no triggered action occurred.  

Also, noticed that the side chat is issuing orders.  Do I pay special attention to that for follow-up orders? 

If anybody has any tips, please post.  I'm trying to get a handle on how HAL functions first before I try making a new mission.

EDIT: If you guys can point me to a few good HAL campaigns on the Steam Workshop, I'd be forever grateful.  

Thanks in advance!
DrDetroit

13 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Am I supposed to move to the recon waypoint or just observe from a distance that waypoint?

You're supposed to move to the waypoint and look for enemies. Sometimes HAL's orders can be a bit...vague lol. If in doubt, check your task journal. That should tell you what to do.

When I made my way to the waypoint, I notice civilians getting into a HUMMIT transport, like they were troops.  After watching for a few minutes, no triggered action occurred.

That's probably just ALICE, the ambient civilian system. HAL doesn't care about civilians to my knowledge.

Also, depending on how often it's configured in the editor, you might have to wait longer for HAL to "update". Try lowering his cycle delay value in the Commander Settings module and see if he's more reactive or responsive. I usually keep it around 60 on smaller missions, but seldom lower than that to save on server load.

Also, noticed that the side chat is issuing orders.  Do I pay special attention to that for follow-up orders? 

Not really. Everything is done through the task system, so you'll get a notification on screen when you need to do something. The only time I really pay attention to the side chat is when I call for some kind of transport or fire support.

If anybody has any tips, please post.  I'm trying to get a handle on how HAL functions first before I try making a new mission.

Could you be more specific? Is there a particular part of HAL you're struggling with? I'm not an expert, but I'll offer help where I can.

32 minutes ago, Mr Elusive said:

You're supposed to move to the waypoint and look for enemies. Sometimes HAL's orders can be a bit...vague lol. If in doubt, check your task journal. That should tell you what to do.

That's probably just ALICE, the ambient civilian system. HAL doesn't care about civilians to my knowledge.

Also, depending on how often it's configured in the editor, you might have to wait longer for HAL to "update". Try lowering his cycle delay value in the Commander Settings module and see if he's more reactive or responsive. I usually keep it around 60 on smaller missions, but seldom lower than that to save on server load.

Not really. Everything is done through the task system, so you'll get a notification on screen when you need to do something. The only time I really pay attention to the side chat is when I call for some kind of transport or fire support.

Could you be more specific? Is there a particular part of HAL you're struggling with? I'm not an expert, but I'll offer help where I can.

Thanks for the explanation, very much appreciated.  I'll mess around with it this weekend.  

As for pointers, not really sure lol.  I'm so green to HAL that I don't know what I don't know yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Thanks for the explanation, very much appreciated.  I'll mess around with it this weekend.

You're welcome 🙂

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

As for pointers, not really sure lol.  I'm so green to HAL that I don't know what I don't know yet. 

Oh yes, I remember that overwhelming feeling all too well lol. It's not as terrifying as it looks. I can't remember if I already said this, but definitely check out the demo missions and read the original HAL PDF manual. I think there's a links to everything in the OP. Someone else posted a YouTube guide earlier in the thread, give that a watch to.

I'm on the forums occasionally. If I'm not too busy I might be able to offer help here and there.

• Like 1