Pukamafin

Orca sling load issue

Hello,

I posted the following on the Arma 3 Steam-forum:

So, when I sling load with Orca and start to fly with the load, it quite regularly crashes. It is as if the crate jumped on the helicopter. This happens usually at approx 100 kmh and when I make very slight adjustments on the controls. Sometimes it seems to happen even when I don't touch the stick at all.

I've had similar to occur when flying Ghosthawk, but it is much more rare and often I manage to recover without a crash.

Has anybody else had this issue? Is it a glitch or is there something I need to know?

Any help would be great. I hate to regularly crash when delivering supplies in Support Rodopoli.

---

I would like to add that this issue happens also when I'm playing single player. So it is not a de-sync issue.

I didn't get any  help from Steam community. Perhaps somebody here is able to help me.

Does it happen more notably/more often in multiplayer than in single-player or at the same rate?

What are you sling-loading?  Supply-crates, quad-bikes, ...?

Are you using simple or advanced flight model?

It happens somewhat more in multiplayer, I reckon. Though it is very regular in single-player too. It happens both with crates and quads.

I use advanced flight model and I have pedals, stick, and throttle.

Last night I managed to lift three out of four supply crates without crashing. I kept my speed around 80-90 kph.

Is there such a tight speed limit? It feels like it takes ages to deliver the supplies at that speed.

I cannot remember the speed limit for choppers when sling-loading but even 80-90 kph seems much for heavy cargo situations. 

That is because of increased momentum which is mass x velocity. Increasing speed increases momentum and due to that whatever movement you make can be dangerous. Like it happens with ships. In order for a tanker to stop it takes a lot of time even if it travels at low speeds. That is because of its huge mass. In that case even if you want to turn or go backwards because of an iceberg or anything alike you are anyways doomed. 

It is hard to explain because of translations :thumbsup:

I've been slingloading with the Orca for about an hour now, with no incidents. Cruising at 200KPH+ with very gently control inputs. 

What objects are you slingloading and what missions is this happening in?

It happens in Support Rodopoli for example, but it seems to happen in every situation I try it. Doesn't seem to matter what the cargo is. I have tried supply crates and quads. The control inputs have been very gentle when it happens.

I haven't had any problems with Ghosthawk, I just played Support Stratis and flew with the crate 200kph many times without any issues.

One thing I noticed. The camera view looking downward in Orca only shows the ropes going from top off screen to down off screen(even at relatively low speed), while in Ghosthawk camera view I can see the crate dangling on the rope. Could you check whether you can see the crate in Orca's camera?

I much appreciate that you're trying to help me. Thank you.

Could you make a video of you slingloading and share it here?

Just searched in the forums a little more and it said BI has set the speed limit when sling-loading to about 100 kph. You can just tell the AI to sling-load something and you shall see the speed. 200 as reported above is possible but is by no means realistic. It should be an advanced flight model glitch.

Looks like it doesn't like you going over ~85km/h which could be something intended for advanced flight model?  I don't really know.  If you feel like it test if you can sling-load stuff up to 200km/h with basic flight model, that should be possible. 

I doubt that this is the intended way to bring in a speed limit. I'd expect there to be some warning or a gradual loss of control as the speed increases, now the loss of control is very sudden with no warning what so ever. Another thing is that I don't really have similar issues when sling loading with Ghosthawk.

I can't tell what is actually happening in the video. Your airspeed drops to zero almost instantly. Can you get a video from 3rd person?

I cannot be sure without a 3rd person view, as stated above, but it seems like the ropes cannot handle the pressure and they brake. When they brake the weight that was no longer there make the chopper turn to the side instantly. Physically speaking it is a logical reaction. 

It is like pulling a rope that is stuck with a great amount of power and once it gets unstuck you go way back. If it works with the GhostHawk it is an AFM glitch.

Nice try to save the chopper by the way. Have you been at a greater altitude you would have most likely saved the chopper.

2 hours ago, JohnKalo said:

I cannot be sure without a 3rd person view, as stated above, but it seems like the ropes cannot handle the pressure and they brake.

That's just it - one of the things I can tell from the video is that the ropes did not break. You can see the crate still attached right before impact. Very confusing.

Here's 3rd person view. I managed to recover from the first incident and it seemed for a moment that there wouldn't be any more crashes. It jolted the chopper upside down again after I slowed down and sped up again.

I forgot if it already got asked here but: have you verified your game files?

If you have already try to reinstall your game.  If the problem still persists after a reinstall report it to BI via the feedback-tracker.  (Link is in the sticky post on this subforum)