Malcain

After game crash reconnecting to same server results in getting kicked for "Battleeye client not responding"

Thread is a discussion and related to this issue: https://feedback.bistudio.com/T127689#1770236

Since the issue is known for almost a year and hasn't been addressed - If anyone of server owners out here know a fix/workaround, please share.
The Issue is unrelated to a type of game-crash and happens to any player who tries to reconnect to the server after the crash. It is not server specific either (however I haven't tested if it exists on all kinds of MP servers).
It is a pretty critical problem which needs to be addressed, but I haven't found any workaround apart from:
- Restarting a server.
- Changing IP address on a client that got kicked.

Looks like IP address gets blacklisted somehow? But I haven't been able to find any logs about that in logfiles.
"Battleeye client not responding" has nothing to do with the reason of the  kick and even complete reinstallation of battleeye won't help.

Bis support shall pay attention to this issue and fix it, as from all the games with BattleEye enabled it happens only in Arma3!
The issue hasn't been here forever, it is a thing of the last year, I don't know exactly what update have broken things, but it was fine before.

• Like 1

Just now, stanhope said:

So euh, what issue do you need help with?

"After game crash, reconnecting to the same server results in getting kicked for "Battleeye client not responding"

Steps To Reproduce:

Play on a multiplayer server.
Have the game crash.
Reconnect to the same server and wait a couple of minutes.

It is explained both here and in feedback ticket.  But since I don't see much action going on that one, it makes me think(and hope) that some server owners may had found workaround for it.

From battleye's FAQ:

This can happen if the server’s or your connection times out for quite a while or breaks up completely. A common solution is to update your modem/router’s firmware. Also, make sure that you aren’t running “Cucusoft Net Guard” which is incompatible with BE. Other than that, please ensure that there are no problems with your internet connection (you might want to contact your ISP).

From other topics in this subforum:

• Verify your game files
  • Reinstall battleye
  • Verify it's not a hardware issue (network card specifically)
  • if it's not hardware problem then you maybe installed some Antivirus, security suite or software firewall or changed some network layer settings in OS
  • Verify your firewall isn't blocking anything battleye needs (keep in mind that your ISP probably also has a firewall set up, you can usually tweak this one a bit)

If all of that doesn't work you can always contact battleye directly here:  https://www.battleye.com/contact/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, stanhope said:

From battleye's FAQ:

From other topics in this subforum:

• Verify your game files
  • Reinstall battleye
  • Verify it's not a hardware issue (network card specifically)
  • if it's not hardware problem then you maybe installed some Antivirus, security suite or software firewall or changed some network layer settings in OS
  • Verify your firewall isn't blocking anything battleye needs (keep in mind that your ISP probably also has a firewall set up, you can usually tweak this one a bit)

If all of that doesn't work you can always contact battleye directly here:  https://www.battleye.com/contact/

Have you read the detailed and well-described info about the issue on a feedback tracker!? Everything you've written is totally unrelated!

It is not a client-side problem!:
It happens on various servers including mine. It has been here for almost a year. ANY PLAYER which got a crash WILL GET KICKED once he tries to reconnect.
The only ways the player have to fix the issue are:
1. Change his IP address(for example via vpn service) and connect to a server using new IP.
2. Wait for server restart.

Please, don't write about basic things which I have already done several times. I have written it on a feedback tracker. Even complete reinstallation of battleeye+deleting folders+veryfying cache+turning off antivirus will not help!
Why do you blame it on me when any player including you would get the same problem.
It is not a BattleEye problem either! Why? There are ton of games using battleeye, but this problem is Arma-specific! Other games don't have that problem. Even Arma was fine over a year ago as it hasn't been here forever.
I am seeking for a fix as now when I began to host my own server I am concerned about player expirience in the long run. I can change my IP any time after the crash as I have a good VPN service installed, other players may not have such privilege.

1 hour ago, Malcain said:

1. Change his IP address(for example via vpn service) and connect to a server using new IP.

So you're saying it's not a client side issue but changing something on the clients side fixes the issue?

• Confused 1

Just now, stanhope said:

So you're saying it's not a client side issue but changing something on the clients side fixes the issue?

changing something on the clients side - are you serious or trolling me? Do some research and you'll get an idea that it has nothing to do with the client.
Ask yourself a couple of questions:
- why server restart helps?
- why changing IP (not the connection, but IP address(the numbers)  - connection on client-side stays the same) helps.
To give you more insight on how vpn services work: your IP stays the same, but the connection goes through a remote service provider who hides your IP, providing another IP address instead. So nothing is changed on client side, it is a connection routing which gets changed and the IP address of the packets the server is recieving from you.

Just now, FallujahMedic -FM- said:

If you're going to host your own server, just use a password. 

What's the problem with all that ignorance? I have described the problem and there are quite enough information provided in a ticked.
How would the password help? I don't host it just for my friends.
I see that problem since May with players reporting it to server owners, but the latter have no answer and usually don't bother reporting it, usual reply is to wait for server restart.
Are you trying to prove me that there is no support and reporting a technical problem trying to get it fixed is a stupid idea?

If you guys don't believe me and those who've made an initial ticket, take a look at this thread related to the same problem:
https://forums.eutw.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6914&p=59502

There is no ignorance. If you are going to host your own server, do what the majority of server owners do and use a password. It negates the need for using Battleye. If you want to host a "PUBLIC" server that MUST use Battleye, I'd suggest speaking to some of the larger server owners to see how they deal with the issue, though I don't think the problem is quite as large as you make it out to be. 

Since Arma was released in 2013, I've never had the issues you've described. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Malcain said:

Have you read the detailed and well-described info about the issue on a feedback tracker!? Everything you've written is totally unrelated!

As you may have noticed normal forum members are trying to help you with your issues, rather than actual BI Staff. I would suggest perhaps be abit more polite.

It is not a client-side problem!:
It happens on various servers including mine. It has been here for almost a year. ANY PLAYER which got a crash WILL GET KICKED once he tries to reconnect.
The only ways the player have to fix the issue are:
2. Wait for server restart.

I have never experienced this since the Arma3 Beta, ive always simply been able to reconnect straight away without issue. How are you hosting your server? Is it on your own PC? Or is an actual proper server in a datacenter?

I am seeking for a fix as now when I began to host my own server I am concerned about player expirience in the long run. I can change my IP any time after the crash as I have a good VPN service installed, other players may not have such privilege.

Why do you need a VPN service, unless you are somewhere in the world where you require it?

Just now, R0adki11 said:

As you may have noticed normal forum members are trying to help you with your issues, rather than actual BI Staff. I would suggest perhaps be abit more polite.

I have never experience since the Arma3 Beta, ive always simply been able to reconnect straight away without issue. How are you hosting your server? Is it on your own PC? Or is an actual proper server in a datacenter?

Why do you need a VPN service, unless you are somewhere in the world where you require it?

I appreciate the help, but I've made it clear that I tried everything so far, before coming to the forum for help. My server has been running since August.
I've also spoken with a guy who runs exile server, he has the same problem (but he doesn't bother seeking for solutions on bis services). There were reports about it on KoTH servers too(link in my previous reply+ticket).

It is a paid hosting service (Hetzner.com) which I use.

My country is blocking a lot of online services, it's also good for privacy reasons as I have no trust in our ISPs and government.

15 hours ago, Malcain said:

changing something on the clients side - are you serious or trolling me? Do some research and you'll get an idea that it has nothing to do with the client.
Ask yourself a couple of questions:
- why server restart helps?
- why changing IP (not the connection, but IP address(the numbers)  - connection on client-side stays the same) helps.
To give you more insight on how vpn services work: your IP stays the same, but the connection goes through a remote service provider who hides your IP, providing another IP address instead. So nothing is changed on client side, it is a connection routing which gets changed and the IP address of the packets the server is recieving from you.

Then do you consider the clients IP to be server-side?  Because we're working in a client-server model here.  And I'm familiar with how VPNs work, I have 2 on my PC and TOR. 

What I'm guessing the issue is, but I'm just a random dude on the internet, is that some check times out causing you to get kicked by battleye.  Now the thing that is timing out is possibly a message that the server expects to receive from the client but that doesn't show up.  Causing battleye to kill that connection by kicking the player from the server.  The issue might indeed be that the client does indeed send the message but that the server isn't listening for it.  But that's why I suggested you contact battleye directly, they know exactly how their own product works.  I don't.

Just now, stanhope said:

Then do you consider the clients IP to be server-side?  Because we're working in a client-server model here.  And I'm familiar with how VPNs work, I have 2 on my PC and TOR. 

What I'm guessing the issue is, but I'm just a random dude on the internet, is that some check times out causing you to get kicked by battleye.  Now the thing that is timing out is possibly a message that the server expects to receive from the client but that doesn't show up.  Causing battleye to kill that connection by kicking the player from the server.  The issue might indeed be that the client does indeed send the message but that the server isn't listening for it.  But that's why I suggested you contact battleye directly, they know exactly how their own product works.  I don't.

Yes, I consider it totally as a server-side issue due to good reasons: If you throw your PC in a window, then use another PC with Arma installed, and try to connect using the same IP address - you will still get kicked.
Created the ticket at Battleeye, don't hold my breath tho.

The problem is probably the server still remembering the IP of the client that was previously connected.

And it does something dumb when that client tries to connect again.

Your game crashes, so you never properly disconnect. Battleye seems to think that you are still connected.

Maybe battleye has their own encryption code, so when you reconnect. And it sends you a encrypted ping, you cannot decrypt it and send a pong back. Battleye sees that your clientside battleye is not responding, and kicks you thinking that you might be a hacker messing with your battleye.

Apparently battleye doesn't time out while you are disconnected through your crash.

I'd recommend contacting Battleye support about this too, maybe send them my explanation of what's probably happening.

As you very nicely stated

On 15.11.2018 at 8:58 AM, Malcain said:

This is a bug. And it belongs to the Feedback tracker.

Ranting here doesn't help much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Dwarden says,on Discord, they would "look into that ^ problem next week" :drinking2:

The Tall Man 08/31/2018
Yes, Battleye keeps the session open after you get force disconnected, so until you change ip or the server restarts your connection is "live"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dwarden 08/31/2018
we will try look into that ^ problem next week, keep nagging me about :wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, basically, I don't get such a problem that often (the game don't crash usually) but when I face it the only thing helps me is vpn. I have a torrent vpn but I use it to connect to the game too. Don't know why but at least battleeye don't lag.

1 hour ago, GlobGish said:

Well, basically, I don't get such a problem that often (the game don't crash usually) but when I face it the only thing helps me is vpn. I have a torrent vpn but I use it to connect to the game too. Don't know why but at least battleeye don't lag.

OP already said that in his very first post:

I haven't found any workaround apart from:

-[...]

- Changing IP address on a client that got kicked.