Sign in to follow this  
PHY_Hawkeye

Special forces uniform

I watched Black Hawk Down the other night, and again noticed that the rangers U.S. Flags on their arms are the wrong way round. Then I looked at my Elite Forces collectors figures, a Delta operator and a Green Beret, same story. I figured this was maybe just a mistake, but then today I saw this pic. Notice the guy on the left, his flag has the stars on the right side of the flag.

Do any of you guys know why this is? Is it perhaps a SF tradition? This has been bugging me for a while now. Help would be much appreciated.

P.S. Sorry if this topic has come up before. I think it was mentioned in an old BHD thread, but I don't think we came to a conclusion. And Merry Christmas all  xmas.gif

incase they are runnin down the street and a driver looks in their mirror, This is also why ambulances spell Ambulance backwards on their hood

(Hope noone takes me seriously)

Edit: Example(ignore the left side):

accueil_1024.gif

I asked the same question to a US soldier on a joint NATO excersise, years ago. His response was that the regulations dictated that the blue star field must always be in the direction of the head. I don't know if though if its true or if he was pulling my leg...

Maybe thats it, although if you look at the pic closley, the guy on the left has a flag on his left arm too, and the star field is still on the right had side of the flag (orientated towards his back)

Maybe the Army just got a good deal on patches that had been printed wrong tounge.gif

there is no set criteria for whether the field will be to the left or right on a uniform. there are two ways the flag can be placed on the uniform:

1. blue field to the left (obviously). most people consider this the "correct" way

2. blue field to the front of the vehicle or person, so that the flag appears to be "waving" when that object is moving forward. this is often seen on ships, tanks, aircraft, and many combat uniforms.

both ways are correct. i initially had my doubts as well, and heard many rumors as to why the flags appeared "backwards", but a few months ago i found out that this is the real reason. i hope this info helps biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (rwryne @ Dec. 26 2002,19:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Still like my proposal better<span id='postcolor'>

it was pretty ingenious, i must admit... biggrin.gif

I got this email with regards to our 82nd Airborne WW2 Soldiers:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hello Friends,

You are to be commended for the superb job you are doing in faithfully modeling the American soldier for 1944 Invasion. There is one detail you may have overlooked in detailing the uniform. I notice that the American flag is displayed on the right shoulder in the "retreat" position(field & stars on the left). Having served in the U.S. Army - Vietnam War, I can assure you that an American soldier would never wear the American flag in the "retreat" position. To do so, indicates an attitude of disrepect and defeat. The field & stars displayed on the right, toward the front of the shoulder, (advance position) is the only acceptable way to display a flag patch from a soldier's point of view.

Your project is exciting, and I am looking forward to the finished mod. Keep up the good work.

Col. L. Drusen - US Army - Vietnam <span id='postcolor'>

So how does that work? You put it on so people facing your direction would see it as correct, but people facing toward you see it backwards?

The blue field with the stars is supposed to be to the front, no matter which side of the vehicle or uniform it is on. (symbolizing the flag moving foreward)

Thus, a flag on the right side will appear "backward" if you are not used to it.

It is, however...the correct way to wear the U.S. flag

[bad Humor] It also gives the enemy a few seconds pause trying to work out what country the troops are from before they open fire. "Saddam, Fire at those Americans." "They are not Americans, look, the top left corner is bereft of stars.... aiiigh" [/bad Humor]