gc8

Field of war [CTI] [SP/MP]

@The Man Without Qualities Yeah nice, I'll keep that in mind :)

Maybe players could use repair truck to build bunkers and guns and then man them if they want to block movement in certain areas

hi, Gc8! firstly, thank you for work. because, there is, definitely, a very few of CTI missions in A3.

i'm very impressed by list of features. tried it yesterday at my dedicated server (with not very good performance result. :)). 

but, primarily, one question is interesting me more than others. what the capability of this mission to convert it for other side, factions and maps? is it big amount of work?

Hey velzevul, thanks for your reply!

3 hours ago, velzevul said:

tried it yesterday at my dedicated server (with not very good performance result. :)). 

How long game was that? Or was the lag from very beginning? I wonder what CPU your server has?

3 hours ago, velzevul said:

what the capability of this mission to convert it for other side, factions and maps? is it big amount of work?

I think it's little too early to start making versions for new maps/mods but I have been planning this and doing some work regarding this. It is quite a bit work so I'm not doing that yet but hope there will be more players and then it will make more sense to make new versions that uses mods.

2 hours ago, gc8 said:

How long game was that? Or was the lag from very beginning? I wonder what CPU your server has?

at the fourth hour of the game fps fell to 3-5 from initial 35. server is not strong at all (i3 3220, 8GB), but i can say, i've tested BeCTI and Ultimate Warfare Rubber Edition before. it showed 12-15 fps on the 2nd day of work.

2 hours ago, gc8 said:

I think it's little too early to start making versions for new maps/mods but I have been planning this and doing some work regarding this. It is quite a bit work so I'm not doing that yet but hope there will be more players and then it will make more sense to make new versions that uses mods.

yes, i understand. just asked if you've worked on the "portability" of your mission.

1 hour ago, velzevul said:

at the fourth hour of the game fps fell to 3-5 from initial 35. server is not strong at all (i3 3220, 8GB), but i can say, i've tested BeCTI and Ultimate Warfare Rubber Edition before. it showed 12-15 fps on the 2nd day of work.

That CPU certainly ain't very fast. I have desktop PC with i9-7920X and it runs very well :)

But since other missions run faster I have some work to do and try to optimize the mission further. I wonder is it dead bodies or just amount alive units that causes the lag mainly.

I have been thinking of introducing max unit value so that armies unit count has limit. Then the FPS might not fall so low.

• Like 1

New release!

What's new:

New limit for maximum army size (Changeable multiplier for maximum size)
Engineer vehicles now carry a flag when they are moving to create new FOB
Fixed: Town defender requirement calculation had bug
Other bug fixes

On 25.01.2019 at 7:09 PM, gc8 said:

New release!

What's new:

New limit for maximum army size (Changeable multiplier for maximum size)
Engineer vehicles now carry a flag when they are moving to create new FOB
Fixed: Town defender requirement calculation had bug
Other bug fixes

seems, buying units menu is bugged in last version. and buying gear also doesnt work after reconnect to already started mission.

52 minutes ago, velzevul said:

seems, buying units menu is bugged in last version. and buying gear also doesnt work after reconnect to already started mission.

Ty so much for reporting! I have fixed the vehicle buy menu.

The problem with the gear menu is that I haven't wrote that code and it does have bugs including this new one you found. The person who made it is unfortunately busy and can't immediately fix it. So not sure what to do with that... Maybe be patient and wait :/

New in the release:

Fixed vehicle buy menu
Added skill of groups displayed (cursor hover on)
Groups gain skill from kills

Nice one! I have a script that also adds skill points to kills and the better the kill ie Crewman killing a Sniper -the better the bonus. Ive been wanting to do a hover over group skill thingie too but never got around to learning it -its a great idea. Willful disparity of skillsets is something thats always been missing from Arma imo -at least since Flashpoint when Spetznatz actually felt badass

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gc8 said:

Ty so much for reporting! I have fixed the vehicle buy menu.

The problem with the gear menu is that I haven't wrote that code and it does have bugs including this new one you found. The person who made it is unfortunately busy and can't immediately fix it. So not sure what to do with that... Maybe be patient and wait :/

New in the release:

Fixed vehicle buy menu

thank you for such quick reaction. :) now, in vehicle buy menu works only infantry. other groups are still empty.

13 hours ago, velzevul said:

thank you for such quick reaction. :) now, in vehicle buy menu works only infantry. other groups are still empty.

Really, I just tested it and it worked for me. Hmm strange

On 1/26/2019 at 10:09 PM, velzevul said:

Ok I found the bug and fixed it! Thanks for reporting. :)

New version in steam

Seems that my changes to make the mission more mod compatible had broken some things :)

• Like 1

New release!

What's new:

Player can request the commander to send an ambulance to near enemy location 
Ambulance works as respawning point 
AI commander now uses UAV planes for recon

• Like 4

On 1/28/2019 at 6:35 PM, gc8 said:

Seems that my changes to make the mission more mod compatible had broken some things 🙂

oh, mod compatibility is always most welcome feature! 🙂 it brings new level of replayability for mission. but, i remember, it is too work-consuming.

your constant work on your mission is very appreciated. you have been asked about ideas to include in your CTI. well, i'll try to not dump all my "wishlist" at once about it here. :)))

first thing i've thought about after a few days of testing is random start locations for sides.  same for FOBs. this will make each new game different from the previous one on the same map.

also, I sometimes needed support for combat vehicles (rearm, repair, refuel). is it possible to make request for sending support trucks at player position (alike ambulance in last version)?

@velzevul Thanks for your reply, always good to hear new ideas 🙂

2 hours ago, velzevul said:

first thing i've thought about after a few days of testing is random start locations for sides.  same for FOBs. this will make each new game different from the previous one on the same map.

Good idea. I think this one needs to be added. Putting this to my todo list... thx!

2 hours ago, velzevul said:

also, I sometimes needed support for combat vehicles (rearm, repair, refuel). is it possible to make request for sending support trucks at player position (alike ambulance in last version)?

Hmm sounds like needed feature but I'm unsure how to do this. Maybe repair truck could be sent to friendly town player is near to but it cannot follow player in forest etc because the AI driver is not that good

thx for your ideas 🙂

Well I added the option for random starting position.

New files are up 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gc8 said:

Well I added the option for random starting position.

thanks for update. 🙂 

tried yesterday. yes, armies started from other places. but my first spawn occured at old starting place. also, "flag" markers on the map remained at old starting positoins.

can you clarify a bit about new option "wounded AI behaviour"? how does it affect AIs when it disabled?

On 1/30/2019 at 6:48 PM, gc8 said:

I'm unsure how to do this. Maybe repair truck could be sent to friendly town player is near to but it cannot follow player in forest etc because the AI driver is not that good

i think, there is several ways to provide support for friendly vehicles. sending support trucks to nearest town is good idea too. as a variants: build at FOBs some kind of support stations to repair/reammo/refuel friendly vehs. also, a towing script would be suitable for transporting damaged vehicles to these stations (don't know who the author is, but I've seen it included in other missions: Dissension, UWRE); make support trucks and units (engineer, medic) available for buying at towns.

37 minutes ago, velzevul said:

tried yesterday. yes, armies started from other places. but my first spawn occured at old starting place

Did you enable random start from the parameters?

37 minutes ago, velzevul said:

can you clarify a bit about new option "wounded AI behaviour"?

Do you mean the parameter "Wounded AI get's up again to fight" ?

38 minutes ago, velzevul said:

i think, there is several ways to provide support for friendly vehicles. sending support trucks to nearest town is good idea too. as a variants: build at FOBs some kind of support stations to repair/reammo/refuel friendly vehs. also, a towing script would be suitable for transporting damaged vehicles to these stations (don't know who the author is, but I've seen it included in other missions: Dissension, UWRE); make support trucks and units (engineer, medic) available for buying at towns.

Nice ideas , thanks 🙂

1 minute ago, gc8 said:

Did you enable random start from the parameters?

yes. after start, my army appeared at differ place and me at old one :). it is not big problem, as after dying i respawned normally at main base.

8 minutes ago, gc8 said:

Do you mean the parameter "Wounded AI get's up again to fight" ?

yes. is it connected on "reviving" option for AIs somehow?

55 minutes ago, velzevul said:

yes. after start, my army appeared at differ place and me at old one :). it is not big problem, as after dying i respawned normally at main base.

Did you run dedicated server? sounds like dedicated issue, will fix that later...

56 minutes ago, velzevul said:

yes. is it connected on "reviving" option for AIs somehow?

No it's not about reviving, the AI may randomly get up if he's wounds are not fatal.

17 minutes ago, gc8 said:

Did you run dedicated server?

yes.

19 minutes ago, gc8 said:

the AI may randomly get up if he's wounds are not fatal.

ok. should i set it "disable" if i don't want change anything with wounded AI?

9 minutes ago, velzevul said:

ok. should i set it "disable" if i don't want change anything with wounded AI?

if you disable it then AI who gets shot down stays down and dies. So yeah if you want normal arma you can disable it

• Thanks 1

New release:

Supply trucks travel between towns increasing their condition
Fixed player start position on dedicated server

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gc8 said:

Fixed player start position on dedicated server

Thanls for this.  Could you also look at where bought vehicles spawn in ?  Every time (a couple of days ago) I spawned a bobcat it hit the flagpole and was wrecked from the start ! 

18 minutes ago, kremator said:

Could you also look at where bought vehicles spawn in ?  Every time (a couple of days ago) I spawned a bobcat it hit the flagpole and was wrecked from the start ! 

Ouch! That's bad. I have worked on the spawn location code quite a bit but it's hard to get perfect it seems.

Will do some more work on that

thx & sorry 🙂

• Like 1