gc8

Field of war [CTI] [SP/MP]

13 hours ago, .kju said:

How about a GM DLC version? Possible/feasible/meaningful?

Well everything is possible but I don't own the DLC. I also have poll on my site where IFA3 is voted for the first Mod supported by this mission.

And I have decided that once there's 100 subscribers I will add the first mod support 🙂

• Thanks 1

New release!

What's new:

As promised this mission now supports IFA3!
Fixed bugs

Known issues:

This mission still has some issues with lag (Should be run on dedicated server (local/global) for good performance)
And some error messages that shouldn't be a problem

• Thanks 1

New release. Fixed the mission was broken after adding mod support

Sorry, should have tested more 😅

an idea why the mission instant will be stopped as soon as i join as a player and stand on the map? i hosted the whole thing on an extra server. i already played around with the start parameters and the config.cfg. no chance 😞

according to RPT it doesn't find the Apex addon, but it is installed and I already tried it with the related start parameters for Apex.

2 hours ago, towatai said:

an idea why the mission instant will be stopped as soon as i join as a player and stand on the map?

How long did you wait? There's bit of startup lag...

2 hours ago, towatai said:

according to RPT it doesn't find the Apex addon, but it is installed and I already tried it with the related start parameters for Apex.

Can you post the RPT message? so I can try to figure it out

thx 🙂

Update:

The game now starts with aircraft carriers on both sides to allow early air
Bug fixes

• Like 1

New release!

What's new:

OPFOR side is also playable now
Bug fixes and other improvements

Now supports Altis map!

Notes:

Right now the units are always green when playing on apex units

Hey, I posted on the Workshop pages for both your missions, but I figured I'd post here as well:

So I had the same issue as a previous poster with the mission ending as soon as it started. I had a similar error in the report that said Apex was missing. Eventually I got it working by making sure I was running the server with a steam account that owns the game + Apex. I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but that's never been an issue for my dedicated server before.

The Altis map crashes immediately on loading, before role assignments, the error message is: "File steamMPMission\_cur_mp.Altis\mission.sqm, line 0: '.r':'a' encountered instead of '='".

This mission plays pretty great. I had a lot of fun. It definitely has the potential to be my favorite mode.

After a few hours of play though, I have found some issues:

The "Vehicle Maintenance" option does nothing. Doesn't repair, give fuel, or ammo.

Repairing works via the repair trucks, but there is no ammo trucks available for purchase. So once a vehicle is out of ammo, that's it.

This probably isn't your fault, but the pathfinding/vehicle physics on Tanoa is horrible. Stuff gets stuck and vehicles flip constantly. It might make sense to implement a despawn/timeout of a unit if it gets stuck. Unsure if this is being done already or not.

The killfeed includes random props and stuff. This leads to a lot of spam when using explosives.

Altis would probably play much better than Tanoa, as the map is much more open. Hopefully the crash can be fixed soon. I'm looking forward to it!

Hi @Silverchase, thanks for your reply!

6 hours ago, Silverchase said:

So I had the same issue as a previous poster with the mission ending as soon as it started. I had a similar error in the report that said Apex was missing. Eventually I got it working by making sure I was running the server with a steam account that owns the game + Apex. I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but that's never been an issue for my dedicated server before.

I have implemented a check to see if Apex is loaded when it's selected as the mod used by the mission. So maybe that's where the problem is... I personally use TADST to setup the dedicated test tested and never had any problems regarding Apex.

Wish I knew what's exactly wrong but I don't, will try to figure it out if the problem persists?

The Altis map crashes immediately on loading, before role assignments, the error message is: "File steamMPMission\_cur_mp.Altis\mission.sqm, line 0: '.r':'a' encountered instead of '='".

Thanks, fixed!

The "Vehicle Maintenance" option does nothing. Doesn't repair, give fuel, or ammo.

Fixed!

This probably isn't your fault, but the pathfinding/vehicle physics on Tanoa is horrible. Stuff gets stuck and vehicles flip constantly. It might make sense to implement a despawn/timeout of a unit if it gets stuck. Unsure if this is being done already or not.

Hmm personally I haven't got much problems with that but I understand it's possible that it happens....

The killfeed includes random props and stuff. This leads to a lot of spam when using explosives.

will be fixing that..

Awesome! Really excited to test it more today.

3 hours ago, gc8 said:

I have implemented a check to see if Apex is loaded when it's selected as the mod used by the mission. So maybe that's where the problem is... I personally use TADST to setup the dedicated test tested and never had any problems regarding Apex.

Wish I knew what's exactly wrong but I don't, will try to figure it out if the problem persists?

You shouldn't actually need to do check if Apex is loaded, as a server will load Apex whether or not its listed under the "Mod" command line parameter. I believe its considered a "non-optional" dlc. Also: if you even select a Tanoa mission, you have to be on Apex, because Tanoa is a part of Apex, so its probably unnecessary.

3 hours ago, gc8 said:

Thanks, fixed!

So I just got the latest GcCTIAltis off the workshop and it appears to be saved as the Tanoa version, as it appears in the mission list under Tanoa, and loads the Tanoa version without issue. 

Haven't spun up my server yet, but once I do I'll let you know if I find any other bugs.

Thanks for such a quick update!

2 hours ago, Silverchase said:

You shouldn't actually need to do check if Apex is loaded, as a server will load Apex whether or not its listed under the "Mod" command line parameter. I believe its considered a "non-optional" dlc. Also: if you even select a Tanoa mission, you have to be on Apex, because Tanoa is a part of Apex, so its probably unnecessary.

It's part of my system to help people find the right addons for the mission. For example if IFA3 mission is running the user will get the download link to it, if it's missing

2 hours ago, Silverchase said:

So I just got the latest GcCTIAltis off the workshop and it appears to be saved as the Tanoa version, as it appears in the mission list under Tanoa, and loads the Tanoa version without issue. 

Oops I must have uploaded the wrong file. I reuploaded both missions, hope it works now

21 hours ago, gc8 said:

It's part of my system to help people find the right addons for the mission. For example if IFA3 mission is running the user will get the download link to it, if it's missing

Yeah I understand, but there doesn't need to be a check for Apex. It is literally impossible to start a dedicated server without Apex loaded. If you don't put it in the startup parameter, it is still loaded. The same applies for all "non-optional" DLC: Tanks, Jets, etc. The server always loads them because even if a client doesn't own them they are still loaded so that they can play with people who do own them. It appears that check is what is causing the mission to end immediately. If someone has found a way to run an up-to-date dedicated server without Apex loaded, then they had to try specifically not to. Personally, I have no idea how they could. I'm almost certain that's the issue. Either way, an error message saying that a class is missing is far better than soft-locking your server/clients.

Anyway, played for another few hours yesterday. Altis worked great all-in-all and was personally my favorite of the two. However my friends and I ran into a few bugs:

The revive is either buggy or broken, its hard to tell. Even after being shot and killed ~20 times over the course of our playthrough, I only went into "revive mode" once. I immediately lost squad leader status, and my AI stood next to me and did nothing to help. Eventually I just had to force respawn. Are you using BI Revive? If not, I recommend it. It seems to work great for both players and AI. This has been happening since I first tried your mission, its just something I forgot to report earlier.

Also, and this is probably related to the following bug, the player isn't "slot 1" in their groups, they are "slot 2." As in, the first AI you recruit is selected by F1, then the second is by F3, third by F4, etc.

Speaking of Squad Leader status- Sometimes, and seemingly at random, the player loses squad leader status, even while alive. Respawning doesn't fix, and disconnecting and reconnecting fixes it, but only temporarily (less than a few minutes). This is essentially a game-breaking bug, since that player is now completely unable to do anything with their AI.

Some feature requests:

If possible, add Headless Client support. Personally its never been difficult to add in my missions, but I don't know how your commander AI works. If its a simple 10 second job like it usually is though, it would definitely improve performance.

Add in everything from all the non-optional DLC to the gear/unit menus. Like I said earlier, clients do not need to own these DLC's to join the mission. They in fact can not keep them from loading. The only problem they can run into is that when they try to use a weapon from a DLC, or use a vehicle from a DLC, they will get a pop up asking them to buy it. I've only played the NATO side, but the A-164 Wipeout can barely clear the runway on the carrier, and trying to land it on the carrier is a nightmare. Adding the Black Wasp, etc from the DLC would be a massive improvement. Adding weapons from Marksmen, and tanks from Tanks, would also be a great addition.

Lastly, here's my request for a specific mod to support. Personally, I think it could improve your mission's popularity a lot. Adding support for RHS would drastically increase your audience. I think its safe to say that as far as the CTI genre goes, there are more people playing RHS CTI missions than are playing Vanilla and any other mod setup (maybe CUP excluded) combined. Playing with these fancy future weapons is fun at times, but in the end me and my friends are always going to prefer realistic modern tech over Arma 3 Vanilla stuff.

1 hour ago, Silverchase said:

The revive is either buggy or broken, its hard to tell. Even after being shot and killed ~20 times over the course of our playthrough, I only went into "revive mode" once. I immediately lost squad leader status, and my AI stood next to me and did nothing to help. Eventually I just had to force respawn. Are you using BI Revive? If not, I recommend it. It seems to work great for both players and AI. This has been happening since I first tried your mission, its just something I forgot to report earlier.

It's not my script. I was just thinking on the other day that I should check for update for it. If it causes problems you can just disable it from the params

Also, and this is probably related to the following bug, the player isn't "slot 1" in their groups, they are "slot 2." As in, the first AI you recruit is selected by F1, then the second is by F3, third by F4, etc.

Ok I have to think about what's causing that

Speaking of Squad Leader status- Sometimes, and seemingly at random, the player loses squad leader status, even while alive. Respawning doesn't fix, and disconnecting and reconnecting fixes it, but only temporarily (less than a few minutes). This is essentially a game-breaking bug, since that player is now completely unable to do anything with their AI.

Could be because of the revive script. don't want to blame others but it's only thing I can think of now 🙂 will look in to it... thx!

If possible, add Headless Client support. Personally its never been difficult to add in my missions, but I don't know how your commander AI works. If its a simple 10 second job like it usually is though, it would definitely improve performance.

Never tried using HC my self but my understanding is that Headless clients do need some code changes so human players and HC wont mix up

but the A-164 Wipeout can barely clear the runway on the carrier, and trying to land it on the carrier is a nightmare.

Aren't you using the catapult? You can use the autoland feature to land on carriers too.

Adding support for RHS would drastically increase your audience.

I had poll in my site (still is) where people voted for IFA3 so I added that 🙂 And I just added unsung support, we'll see about the RHS later

thx for your reply Silverchase!

new release!

What's new:

Removed missing DLC check because it does not seem to work
Fixed startup base failed to create sometimes
Unsung support!
Other things...

Looks like I broke the mission, fixed now!

Released new version. 

Fixed some bugs and rewrote some stuff as well improved mod compatibility. Hopefully didn't break anything this time 🙂

Heya, thanks for the updates!

Playing it for a bit again today, and while mostly bug free, I did run into the bug where I lost squad leader status again. It happens when I die. I hear a squad members say "Taking command" and when I respawn, its never given back.

I should note that this bug has happened while revive was both on and off in mission parameters. 

4 minutes ago, Silverchase said:

Heya, thanks for the updates!

Playing it for a bit again today, and while mostly bug free, I did run into the bug where I lost squad leader status again. It happens when I die. I hear a squad members say "Taking command" and when I respawn, its never given back.

I should note that this bug has happened while revive was both on and off in mission parameters. 

Thanks for letting me know. I actually tried to fix this by setting the player's rank to colonel, so maybe that doesn't happen with the 0.8.11 version? If it does I'll try to think something else

So I tried playing the OpFor side yesterday.

Still have the bug with losing squad leader. Unsure whats causing it, but it might have something to do with teamkills/civilian casualties. Unsure though, as it sometimes happens when I don't think I've done any, but also happened once before right after I sent a barrage of rockets from my helicopter right into a group of friendly AI.

The reason I did that was another bug: The friendly AI troops on the CSAT side are all NATO forces. It seems like any unit spawned from the CSAT (Pacific) faction drop down has NATO crew/troops, while the CSAT option in the drop down has the proper AI. Or vice versa, I can't remember.

16 minutes ago, Silverchase said:

Still have the bug with losing squad leader. Unsure whats causing it, but it might have something to do with teamkills/civilian casualties. Unsure though, as it sometimes happens when I don't think I've done any, but also happened once before right after I sent a barrage of rockets from my helicopter right into a group of friendly AI.

Do you know how to use the debug console? i think it maybe rating issue. if you put this: "rating player" in one of the consoles watch fields it might give explanation to this

17 minutes ago, Silverchase said:

The reason I did that was another bug: The friendly AI troops on the CSAT side are all NATO forces. It seems like any unit spawned from the CSAT (Pacific) faction drop down has NATO crew/troops, while the CSAT option in the drop down has the proper AI. Or vice versa, I can't remember.

This is really weird , I just tested on CSAT side everything looked good. Will do some more testing...

Can't figure what's wrong, I ran Apex dedicated server playing on CSAT and all worked fine.

But as for the first problem I think it's rating issue but could use verification for this.

Good news, I found the bug regarding wrong sides, it was in Altis map. Now fixed

Also in update release more enemies on town sentry points

I also have the bug loosing command ability. After I died, I wasn't squad leader anymore and wasn't able lead any troops. I could still buy troops, but they didn't join my squad.

At that point I was also not able to buy crewed vehicles, only empty ones.

There's another bug I noticed some time ago, and which also happened to me again a few minutes ago. When requesting air transport, the heli did touch down only for a second or so, then it went up again and then just hovered on the spot. So I was unable to board the vehicle.

There's no option to cancel the transport request once it has been given, so any further transport order involving this helicopter was inaccessible to me, as the vehicle was "busy". In the end I had to shoot down the heli, which my AI comrades weren't too happy with ....

One last thing. When editing my loadout, how do I place launcher magazines in the backpack? I'd like to add one or two rounds to my AT launcher, but I don't know how to store them in the backpack while I'm in the loadout menu.

Other than that I really enjoy this mission. It runs a lot better on Altis than on Tanoa in my opinion. I would like to see the whole Island incorporated, not just the preselected locations.

Also I second the request for RHS support. I never was a big fan of BI's decision to go "future". Unsung support is nice, will test this too at some point, but RHS support would be even better.

Thanks for your good work and frequent updates! Keep it up!

12 hours ago, hottehotte said:

I also have the bug loosing command ability. After I died, I wasn't squad leader anymore and wasn't able lead any troops. I could still buy troops, but they didn't join my squad.

At that point I was also not able to buy crewed vehicles, only empty ones.

I added more rating to player in 0.8.12 version but I guess that didn't help? Will try to think something else

There's another bug I noticed some time ago, and which also happened to me again a few minutes ago. When requesting air transport, the heli did touch down only for a second or so, then it went up again and then just hovered on the spot. So I was unable to board the vehicle.

There's no option to cancel the transport request once it has been given, so any further transport order involving this helicopter was inaccessible to me, as the vehicle was "busy". In the end I had to shoot down the heli, which my AI comrades weren't too happy with ....

I just tested the airlift and it did work. But I have also in the past noticed that the airlift doesn't always land to pick the player up. I think this is because the heli can't find clear LZ. And this is arma engine thing which I probably can't effect... But it should work most of the time 😄

One last thing. When editing my loadout, how do I place launcher magazines in the backpack? I'd like to add one or two rounds to my AT launcher, but I don't know how to store them in the backpack while I'm in the loadout menu.

when you click buy the missiles go to wherever there is space. You can't right now choose to place them in backpack only

Thx for your reply! 🙂

8 hours ago, gc8 said:

I added more rating to player in 0.8.12 version but I guess that didn't help? Will try to think something else

Please also try to fix the issue that the player is in "slot 2" when commanding troops, instead of the usual "slot 1" position. Silverchase mentioned that earlier in his posts too. Maybe both issues are related somehow.

I'm not sure if I tested your latest version, as your last two posts in this thread before I submitted my report yesterday were made at a time when I was already playing. So I'll check if the mission updates and then test again.

8 hours ago, gc8 said:

I just tested the airlift and it did work. But I have also in the past noticed that the airlift doesn't always land to pick the player up. I think this is because the heli can't find clear LZ. And this is arma engine thing which I probably can't effect... But it should work most of the time 😄

Yes, it's my opinion too that this is just some misbehavior of the game engine. But the option to cancel the support request and therefore despawn the heli would become handy if the system is broken again. Maybe you could add that if it ain't too hard

8 hours ago, gc8 said:

when you click buy the missiles go to wherever there is space. You can't right now choose to place them in backpack only

Okay, understood.