animalnitrate2009

Disappointed at the 'money pit' tactics

I'm new to this game, hardly played it yet. I'm a little shocked to find out that I am limited to playing Single player mode unless I buy installments. What's the point in buying a game you can't play to find out they have you over a barrel unless you pay more in order to play it. I don't remember buying a dvd and only being able to watch a quarter of it unless I buy add ons! Can't even get onto multiplayer games because although I've not played it yet I don't seem to have the necessary download/patches for particular servers/maps!
Fu¢€[^g annoying and for something I was Really looking forward to playing, I think it's a Total waste of money... Pardon my French!

You're aware that arma is, and always has been, advertised as a military sandbox right?  And you're aware that there is a steam workshop containing thousands of user made scenarios and mods?

Arma has always been considered more of a platform than a game.  Random users make content that everyone can play.  Respectfully, if you did your research right before buying arma you would have known this.

Some 'game players' that are not 100% crazy on games and don't spend their lives on them sometimes buy a game because they saw a pre release of it and thought "that looks good, I'll buy it"! Those kind of players, like myself, who still have the right to play it wouldn't necessarily feel the need to 'research it'! 

26 minutes ago, stanhope said:

You're aware that arma is, and always has been, advertised as a military sandbox right?  And you're aware that there is a steam workshop containing thousands of user made scenarios and mods?

Arma has always been considered more of a platform than a game.  Random users make content that everyone can play.  Respectfully, if you did your research right before buying arma you would have known this.

You don't look at a single gameplay video of a game and don't look at the steam reviews etc before you buy a rather expensive game?  Also arma 3 just celebrated its 5th birthday, what pre release footage are you talking about?

There are plenty of public (and private) servers that play with the base content (no DLC). In the majority of cases you can even play on servers that DO have DLC, you are just restricted from using that particular item or driving it. DLC is completely optional. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stanhope said:

You don't look at a single gameplay video of a game and don't look at the steam reviews etc before you buy a rather expensive game?  Also arma 3 just celebrated its 5th birthday, what pre release footage are you talking about?

Obviously pre release of the game when it first came out! 

1 minute ago, animalnitrate2009 said:

Obviously pre release of the game when it first came out! 

So you waited 5 years before getting disappointed? 

Also what FallujahMedic said, I still most often play on a server that does not require any mods nor any DLCs.  They run a version of invade and annex.  Heck I helped them maintain that mission and made sure anyone can play regardless of which DLCs they have.

I'm new to this game, hardly played it yet. I'm a little shocked to find out that I am limited to playing Single player mode unless I buy installments.

You are new to the game, but watched a pre-release video from 2013 to understand what the current version looks like now? 

You are absolutely NOT limited to playing single player, that statement is patently FALSE!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stanhope said:

So you waited 5 years before getting disappointed? 

Also what FallujahMedic said, I still most often play on a server that does not require any mods nor any DLCs.  They run a version of invade and annex.  Heck I helped them maintain that mission and made sure anyone can play regardless of which DLCs they have.

I'm probably Not the first person to buy a game a few years after it's release lol. As I said, I'm not a hardcore gamer. 

1 minute ago, FallujahMedic -FM- said:

You are new to the game, but watched a pre-release video from 2013 to understand what the current version looks like now? 

You are absolutely NOT limited to playing single player, that statement is patently FALSE!

Your statement is false because you have no idea of what happened, why I waited etc.. You just made an assumption. Yes I watched the pre release and was keen to buy it. I was living in Spain at the time with the 'ex Witch' we split up because she was a psycho, I moved back to the UK leaving my kids behind and just wanted to be near my family. Drowned my sorrows in alcohol for leaving my kids. Since then I found it difficult to start again, get back on my feet and find a place to live, Buy essentials (obviously pc not being one of them). 

Now settled down again, life back in order etc, have a pc and hey presto, I buy some games, Arma 3 being one of them. 

I didn't Need to tell you my life story, nor am I looking for the Worlds Smallest Violin, I mentioned it so you don't need to jump to the wrong conclusions. 

27 minutes ago, FallujahMedic -FM- said:

When I said "Limited to Single Player" I mean, we are limited to how much we can play on single player before you Have to Buy More add ons to continue. Which I think is wrong. If you buy the game, you should At the Very Least, be able to play the whole Single Player game that I assumed I'd bought! 

You CAN play the full single player game with the version you've bought. You can also play the full multi-player experience as well. As stated before, In the majority of cases you can even play on servers that DO have DLC, you are just restricted from using that particular item or driving it. DLC is COMPLETELY optional. 

When I say false, its false in the following respects:

I'm a little shocked to find out that I am limited to playing Single player mode unless I buy installments.

FALSE (there is no need to buy instalments to play multi-player)

What's the point in buying a game you can't play to find out they have you over a barrel unless you pay more in order to play it.

FALSE (again, there is no requirement for you to pay more to play it)

I don't remember buying a dvd and only being able to watch a quarter of it unless I buy add ons!

Ever purchase a car with a 1.0 litre engine then complain that you didn't get a 4.0 litre when you clearly didn't pay for it?

Can't even get onto multiplayer games because although I've not played it yet I don't seem to have the necessary download/patches for particular servers/maps!

FALSE (The only terrain that will prevent you from joining if you do not own it is Tanoa)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FallujahMedic -FM- said:

Ever purchase a car with a 1.0 litre engine then complain that you didn't get a 4.0 litre when you clearly didn't pay for it?

No to the car lol.. If I'm wrong then I retract my winge. I'll have another look tonight. 

In the main game window:
- Multiplayer> Server Browser
In the main server browser window:
- Internet> Filter> Game type
After selecting the type of game, an accessible list of servers is created and which missions are active on them. You will see how many players are playing on each server. Select the server with the mouse and in the lower right corner you will see which DLC and Mods are needed to play on this server. The red colors indicate which Mods you do not have, and without them you cannot play on the server. Look for those servers where there will be no Mods highlighted in red.

https://imgur.com/Y4PVSDX

To remember which server you played on:
- Multiplayer> Server Browser
In the main server browser window:
- Recent

Ask if a question arises - "How convenient is it to download the necessary Mods, for playing in a certain north?"

• Like 1

Play on any of the KOTH servers... I haven't seen any on Tanoa.

There are DLC weapons and vehicles that you can't use, but you can still play alongside those that do.

ie: Someone can shoot you with a MAR-10 rifle, but you can't use it, you can however use the M320LRR, which is a superior long range rifle (the MAR-10 falls somewhere between a battle rifle and a designated marksman rifle).

You can use a a T-100 Varsuk main battle tank, but you can't use the Nyx tankette... your varsuk sure can kill other players using the Nxy.

On an "infantry only" KOTH server, you won't be very restricted. I think those servers still allow light vehicles like the light strike vehicles from Apex... you can ride in them, but you can't drive them (nor be the gunner on the armed variants).

Most of the DLC content falls somewhere in-between vanilla content (like the MAR-10 in between the mk18 ABR and the M320 LRR). Its really only the vehicles where you may feel restricted in multiplayer.

The Air superiority jets are the "top predators" so to speak... and they are all limited to the Jet's DLC...

But if your side has control of the air, the vanilla close air support planes are just below them "on the food chain", and are what players on the ground really fear when they're in the skies.

On 31.10.2018 at 7:34 PM, animalnitrate2009 said:

I don't seem to have the necessary download/patches

Missing patches means they are running Mods you don't have.
You have everything from the base game to join whatever server. The only thing you need a DLC for is the Apex DLC Terrain Tanoa.

Arma 3 is a multiplayer game and anyone buying it to use as single player is going to be disappointed. It can be used in single player but update after update ( including the next one) is aimed at making the game better for multiplayers. Play a single player mission and try to save it and you'll see what I mean.