zooloo75

[WIP] CineCam | Cinematic Third-Person Camera Replacement

CineCam | Cinematic Third-Person Camera Replacement
by Zooloo75

Steam Workshop Page: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1551751531

Version: 0.15 / Nov 1, 2018

Development Began: Oct 27, 2018

License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

88x31.png

Disclaimer:
This mod is not for everyone. Some players may feel motion sickness.
Some features are unavailable or are not fully implemented while in CineCam's third-person.
CineCam could break or cause issues in missions that manipulate the camera.

Description:
This mod replaces the third-person camera. This replacement is more dynamic, moving based on context.
The camera positions itself according to the player's actions. If the player is moving with their weapon lowered,
then the camera will follow centered behind the player, exuding a feeling of tranquility.
When the player has their weapon raised, the camera will go over the player's shoulder, allowing for a clear
shot of what's ahead. Free-look moves the camera in closer towards the player's head, improving feedback.
The camera's motion is derived from various properties of the player. The weight of the player's movement can

be felt through the camera.

Known Issues / ToDo:
[Issue] Reloading a secondary weapon while in third-person will reload the primary weapon first if it needs to be reloaded (limitation of `reload` command).

[Issue] Reloading in third-person sometimes doesn't work.
[Issue] Action menu cannot be accessed while in third-person due to technical limitations of being switched to a separate camera.

[Issue] Aiming down sights can stop working in both third or first person.

[Issue] Zooming in by holding right click while in third-person, and then releasing zoom, doesn't return back to the third-person camera.

[Issue] Sprinting while the player's weapon is lowered causes the camera to go into shoulder-cam mode (`weaponLowered` command is unreliable).

[Issue] Switching fire modes in third-person sometimes fails.

[Issue] Firing full-auto in third-person for certain weapons does not work (need to build up list of full-auto fire mode names -- if you come across a weapon that doesn't fire in full-auto while in third-person, let me know).

[Issue] Clicking in menus causes the player's weapon to fire.

[ToDo] Add crosshair to third-person, which can be toggled via CineCam's Addons Settings.

[ToDo] Make camera translations work with relative-space vectors, instead of global-space for easier camera manipulation.
[ToDo] Camera yaw does not utilize torque yet (need to figure out how to handle rotation from 359deg to 0deg, as it rotates 359deg backwards instead of 1deg forward).
[ToDo] Respect different vision modes, such as night vision, and thermal vision.
[ToDo] Separate camera position offset handling for both left and right leaning (common problem of limited visibility when leaning left with right-oriented shoulder cam).
[ToDo] Improve recoil feedback (perhaps tie it to arm/shoulder movement since that should accurately represent the recoil motion?).
[ToDo] Make camera settings user-configurable.
[ToDo] Handle third-person vehicle camera.

[ToDo] Potentially use `cameraEffect` to allow for various post-process effects and the ability to change field of view (player loses control of character when using `cameraEffect` at the moment).

[ToDo] Initialize camera position on player.

[ToDo] Allow for shoulder-cam to be toggled between left and right shoulder.

[ToDo] Allow for shoulder-cam position switching to be disabled.
[ToDo] Obligatory code refactor.

Changelog:

0.16 / TBA:

Code cleanup.

0.15 / Nov 1, 2018:

Made camera settings configurable (via Options > Addon Options > CineCam).

Reduced default film grain value.

Disabled CineCam's post-process effects by default (can be enabled via Addon Options).

0.14 / Oct 31, 2018:

Improved camera offsets for practicality.

Prevent firing while viewing map.

Fixed issue where attempting to fire in full-auto with an empty magazine would playing the click sound every frame.

Fixed issue where firing in full-auto for certain machine guns would only fire single shots.

Remove inadequate night-vision handling.

0.13 / Oct 31, 2018: 

Allow for shoulder-cam to flip position offset depending on player's lean direction.

Added keybinding to manually toggle shoulder-cam position (accessible via Options > Controls > Configure Addons > CineCam > Toggle Camera Shoulder).

Allow for inventory to be accessed while in third-person.

Fixed issue where sprinting while the weapon was lowered caused the camera to go into shoulder-cam mode (should only happen if the weapon is raised).

Added mild post-process effects for eyecandy.

Removed inadequate camera shake that represented weapon recoil (will be revisited at a later date).

Improved combat lean stance detection for shoulder-cam flipping.

Prevent firing while in dialogs.

0.12 / Oct 30, 2018:

Fix issue where player can't aim down sights while in first-person.

0.11 / Oct 29, 2018: 

Fix issue where players couldn't fire in full-auto while in third-person.

0.1 / Oct 29, 2018:

Initial release.

Media:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Great idea!
2 questions:
Does it try to solve 3rd person peeking? From video I can see it may be quite a good solution.
Will we be able to turn off or lower the "head-bob" cam shake while running?

11 hours ago, Malcain said:

Great idea!
2 questions:
Does it try to solve 3rd person peeking? From video I can see it may be quite a good solution.
Will we be able to turn off or lower the "head-bob" cam shake while running?

Both are planned!

Edit: Implemented separated leaning camera offsets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Expect an alpha release later tonight!

• Like 2

Love the feeling of this. But here's some things i noticed in my short tests, some may fall under known catagories already

-Cant change firemode in third person (Atleast when i tested it only did semi auto, even when i changed it in first person to full)

-Zooming in with holding right click (not aiming down sights) forces you back into first person

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LykosMactire said:

Love the feeling of this. But here's some things i noticed in my short tests, some may fall under known catagories already

-Cant change firemode in third person (Atleast when i tested it only did semi auto, even when i changed it in first person to full)

-Zooming in with holding right click (not aiming down sights) forces you back into first person

Will look into this, thanks for the heads-up!

14 minutes ago, zooloo75 said:

Will look into this, thanks for the heads-up!

Just released a hotfix, v0.11 that fixes the full-auto fire issue.

For those that want to tinker with the camera settings, you can manipulate these via the ingame debug console:

ThirdPerson_CameraPositionOffset = [0.025, -1, 0.2];
ThirdPerson_FreeLookCameraPositionOffset = [0.1, 0.45, 0.02];
ThirdPerson_ProneCameraPositionOffset = [-0.1, -0.3, 0.15];
ThirdPerson_WeaponRaisedCameraPositionOffset = [0.35, 0.15, -0.15];
ThirdPerson_WeaponRaisedCameraPitchOffset = 10;
ThirdPerson_WeaponRaisedCameraBankOffset = -1.5;
ThirdPerson_CameraPitchOffset = -5;
ThirdPerson_CameraBankOffset = -3.5;
ThirdPerson_CameraPositionLeanRightOffset = 0.75;
ThirdPerson_CameraPositionLeanLeftOffset = 10;
ThirdPerson_CameraMovementSpeed = [0.35, 0.35, 0.35]; // XYZ values must be the same. As of v0.12 the camera movement speed doesn't work on separate axis as expected. 
ThirdPerson_CameraRotationSpeed = 0.15;

I definitely like how it is configured for peeking. It will be so cool to be able to finally provide 3rd person to players without it's current flaws which destroy arma gameplay unless you force players to 1st person.
As for the placement of the cam, for me it looks fine, I may want to center it on the player, but I guess that will also be configurable in future release. Looking forward for updates.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Avesome Vourden said:

Please help me! I can`t turn Third-person mode... Why not work? In settings all be good

If you're trying to access the vanilla third-person camera, you can't with this mod. This mod replaces the third-person camera. 

2 minutes ago, GEORGE FLOROS GR said:

This is very nice !

Well done zooloo !

Thanks!

Update: Currently implementing shoulder-cam position toggling based on the previous lean direction. If you lean left, the shoulder-cam will stay on the left side, and vice-versa for a right lean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zooloo75 said:

Thanks!

Update: Currently implementing shoulder-cam position toggling based on the previous lean direction. If you lean left, the shoulder-cam will stay on the left side, and vice-versa for a right lean.

any chance for stance adjustment based leans? like the sniper crouch (prone + Control-W) raising a bit above character more

Disregard previous. However bug report: cannot Remote control units in zeus when using this mod

2 hours ago, LykosMactire said:

any chance for stance adjustment based leans? like the sniper crouch (prone + Control-W) raising a bit above character more

Disregard previous. However bug report: cannot Remote control units in zeus when using this mod

Thanks for the report. I'm aiming to have CineCam be a reliable replacement for the third-person camera. As there's quite a bit of camera manipulation involved with Zeus, compatability with it (and any other mission that manipulates the camera) might not be too well at the moment.

On another note, I'm going to be making shoulder cam position switching key-bindable. If a key binding is not defined, then the automatic shoulder switching will take effect based on the direction the player is leaning. If a key binding is defined, then the player has manual control of shoulder switching, and the automatic switching will be disabled.

There will also be an option to disable shoulder-cam position switching altogether, for whatever use-case that enables.

• Like 1

Ghost Recon Future Soldier here we come!

Loving it so far mate keep it up!

• Like 1

Preview of the shoulder-cam position toggling coming in v0.13:

Edit: Released v0.13!

Changelog:

Allow for shoulder-cam to flip position offset depending on player's lean direction.

Added keybinding to manually toggle shoulder-cam position (accessible via Options > Controls > Configure Addons > CineCam > Toggle Camera Shoulder).

Allow for inventory to be accessed while in third-person.

Fixed issue where sprinting while the weapon was lowered caused the camera to go into shoulder-cam mode (should only happen if the weapon is raised).

Added mild post-process effects for eyecandy.

Removed inadequate camera shake that represented weapon recoil (will be revisited at a later date).

Improved combat lean stance detection for shoulder-cam flipping.

• Like 2

What a great idea!

Keep on doing it, this can change alot.

• Like 1

To Bohemia Interactive: It would be really really cool of you to provide a camera command that restores controls back to the player character! That way a custom camera can be created, and the player can still interact with everything as usual.

• Like 2

Version 0.14 released!

0.14 / Oct 31, 2018:

Improved camera offsets for practicality.

Prevent firing while viewing map.

Fixed issue where attempting to fire in full-auto with an empty magazine would playing the click sound every frame.

Fixed issue where firing in full-auto for certain machine guns would only fire single shots.

Remove inadequate night-vision handling.

Due to demand, the next thing I will be working on is implementing user-configurable settings to tweak various parts of CineCam.

• Like 1

Version 0.15 released!

016c535a7bd18f973dec80df019aa04e.png

0.15 / Nov 1, 2018:

Made camera settings configurable (via Options > Addon Options > CineCam).

Reduced default film grain value.

Disabled CineCam's post-process effects by default (can be enabled via Addon Options).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2