b3lx

Palms for Middle East scenarios

Palms available in Arma are basically two kinds: phoenix palms available in Altis and a variant used in Malden, and various tropical palms available form CUP (used in Fallujah I think) and Tanoa better quality ones. In maps that that portray middle eastern regions terrain makers have opted exclusively AFAIK for the tropical kinds which for me it makes maps seem either south asian or african instead of middle eastern. The best alternative would be to make a new model which can be used to replace the ones in existing maps by script or used in new terrains. Meanwhile the phoenix palm seems the most viable choice: 

Spoiler

3921M4j.png

I'l post some examples of using these phoenix palms in existing maps soon. I know it may be a silly discussion for many but since I stumbled on this issue twice already I think we can discuss it here instead of hijacking other people's topics. And maybe we'll get a proper date palm model in the game.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I experimented with replacing the Cannabis plants on Anizay with large and small phoenix "date" palms and the results look pretty good. Dates are farmed in Afghanistan, so seeing clumps of cultivated date palms around that map looks reasonable. 

I tried the Malden palms in the new Anizay terrain and I think they work pretty good. This could be southeastern Syria or Iraq.

6nnAXdE.jpg

These are the model paths:

"a3\vegetation_f_argo\Trees\t_PhoenixRupicola1s_F.p3d", "a3\vegetation_f_argo\Trees\t_PhoenixRupicola3s_F.p3d"

The only problem is that it seems these palms can only be created as simple objects, so you'd better not try to run over them with tanks

And of course Diyala looks a bit more like Diyala now:

jgC9gWQ.jpg

• Thanks 3

On 10/18/2018 at 2:57 AM, tpw said:

I experimented with replacing the Cannabis plants on Anizay with large and small phoenix "date" palms and the results look pretty good. Dates are farmed in Afghanistan, so seeing clumps of cultivated date palms around that map looks reasonable. 

The phoenix palms ended up to be the choice for Anizay, great!

• Like 2

I was thinking of making some Phoenix Dactylifera for my Iraq terrain which doesn't have the bottom branches cropped.

Something like these: ZBWJmTD.jpg

But they're not a high priority object ATM so I don't know when I'll get at it.

• Like 6

You? Doing an Iraq terrain? And you care about palms?

m7lzLQ2.gif

• Haha 1

Of course, but I think buildings are more important to begin with 😉

• Like 2

On 10/17/2020 at 8:25 AM, opteryx said:

Does this mean what I think it means? 😲

On 10/16/2020 at 5:25 PM, opteryx said:

28 minutes ago, chops said:

Does this mean what I think it means? 😲

I hope it means mosques! It always bothered me that Shezan's Fallujah (aka "the city of mosques") featured exactly ZERO of them.

• Haha 1

this is interesting! It's also something I noticed myself when I started working on my terrain too. I thought having palm trees was certainly pivotal for a lot of middle eastern vibes, and I rarely see much of that in a lot of middle east terrains. I'm glad there's other people who are interested and care about this too. I exclusively really liked the Malden palm trees, and they were part of the inspiration/reasons why I picked up my latest terrain project. Hopefully you'll approve of my usage of these palm trees! Haha.

42 minutes ago, Vectif said:

this is interesting! It's also something I noticed myself when I started working on my terrain too. I thought having palm trees was certainly pivotal for a lot of middle eastern vibes, and I rarely see much of that in a lot of middle east terrains. I'm glad there's other people who are interested and care about this too. I exclusively really liked the Malden palm trees, and they were part of the inspiration/reasons why I picked up my latest terrain project. Hopefully you'll approve of my usage of these palm trees! Haha.

The Bastek terrain! Indeed, I love it. And now we have these versions of the Malden palms from the western sahara cdlc: a taller model and two withered models

3 hours ago, b3lx said:

The Bastek terrain! Indeed, I love it. And now we have these versions of the Malden palms from the western sahara cdlc: a taller model and two withered models

I love these new palms in the western sahara cdlc, but I cant seem to find them in editor ?? would like to add more to my missions were are they located ?

1 hour ago, Dogone said:

I love these new palms in the western sahara cdlc, but I cant seem to find them in editor ?? would like to add more to my missions were are they located ?

I made a personal use mod to show them in the editor. Another option is to create them as simple objects from the model path, but that is mostly cosmetic as they can't be damaged. You can find the model paths using something like this in the debug console:

_alltrees = (nearestterrainobjects [player,["tree"],200]) apply {(getmodelinfo _x) select 1}; 
_alltrees = _alltrees arrayInteresect _alltrees; 
copytoclipboard _alltrees;

12 hours ago, b3lx said:

I made a personal use mod to show them in the editor. Another option is to create them as simple objects from the model path, but that is mostly cosmetic as they can't be damaged. You can find the model paths using something like this in the debug console:

_alltrees = (nearestterrainobjects [player,["tree"],200]) apply {(getmodelinfo _x) select 1}; 
_alltrees = _alltrees arrayInteresect _alltrees; 
copytoclipboard _alltrees;

Thank you b3lx , much appreciated.