Sign in to follow this  
swift39

playSound Issues - Much to everyones joy

Hello All, 

I spent most of the day trying to get a music to play in an intro I am playing with. Scouring the forums and google, I have tried what I think is almost everything and yet completely missing something. I am using Alias Intro script which is easy to use by the way. but cannot get a piece of music file to play at all. I would like to use "playSound" as during my mission to find the solution I read that this play across the map and does not have a distance limit. 

the intro.sqf

// Original script and functions created by Alias from aliascartoons and all credit goes to him

// nul = [JIP] execVM "AL_intro\intro.sqf";

waitUntil {time > 0};
_jip_enable	= _this select 0;
[[_jip_enable],"TWR_intro\time_srv.sqf"] remoteExec ["execVM"];
waitUntil {!isNil "curr_time"};

if (!hasInterface) exitWith {};

if ((!curr_time) or (_jip_enable<0)) then {

playSound "sum41_war";

loopdone = false;
while {!loopdone} do 
{
	// INSERT CAMERA SHOTS BELOW ______________________________________________________________________________

_1stshot = [cam1, cam1, target0, 20, 2.0, 2.0, true, 0, -6, 3, true] execVM "TWR_intro\camera_work.sqf";
	cutText ["<t color='#FFFFFF' size='5'>TOWERGAMES PRESENTS</t>", "BLACK IN", 15, true, true];
	waitUntil {scriptdone _1stshot};

The description.ext

class CfgSounds
{
	sounds[] = {sum41_war};

class sum41_war
	{
		name = "sum41_war";
		sound[] = {"\sound\sum41_war.ogg", db+50, 1};
		titles[] = {};
	};
};

From what I read it should be this simple, but obvisouly am missing something. the file is 3 mb, could that be the issue?  Any suggestion or comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Greg 

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I tried playMusic with the same result. I am wishing to pursue playSound because I found in some of the forums it has no distance limitations, and bypasses the music volume which everyone has turned down, but haven't been able to confirm it yet.

Cheers

Greg

It looks like you have most everything correct. 

I am not sure about this - but try changing 

sound[] = {"\sound\sum41_war.ogg", db+50, 1};

to

sound[] = {"sound\sum41_war.ogg", db+50, 1};

and be careful... +50 db will hurt your ears.

Some debug things to try - enable the debug console via the options in the EDEN editor. When you are in the game press ESC and type playsound "sum41_war"; If the sound does not play that can mean two things. 1) The sound file is somehow corrupt or unreadable for the A3 Engine OR 2)The soundfile is not defined properly. Triple-check and make sure the sound file is located properly in the sound folder, it actually has the .ogg extension in windows, and that you can listen to it with something like VLC media player.

1 minute ago, genesis92x said:

and be careful... +50 db will hurt your ears.

Well technically it won't, but it will put out an absolutely distorted sound if the original sample is properly normalized.

I'd say better normalize the sound first, then use it in arma and see if it needs further boosting using the db parameter (shouldn't be needed in most cases).

Cheers

Thank you...

It turned out it was a bad .ogg file. I had built and  rebuilt a couple times earlier with Audacity but after your post rebuilt in same then saved as mp3 file. then ran it through dBpoweramp for the conversion for the file to .ogg and now works fine. I feel like a bit of an idiot chasing posts now. Anyway lessoned learned and thank you all again.

Cheers

Greg

Yeah +50 is a bit loud, in my desperation I cranked it up just in case it was being drowned out. Its down now...