You are on fire! 4th great map in a row. Or is it five? 

• Like 2

This is a really fantastic map @Temppa! It's always really interesting seeing how different terrain makers approach creating maps for the same geographical area using the same pool of assets. In your case the results are brilliant. Great satmap and colours, interesting terrain, really organic and believable town layouts, and fantastic performance. I think your decision to use mostly A3 trees instead of those horrific pale A2 trees with their crap LODs is particularly inspired - they may not be geographically 100% correct but at least they look like real bloody trees, and give the whole thing a nice hybrid middle eastern / central asian vibe. I also like your decision to work with the current lighting model instead of going for the retro look. My only small quibble is the total lack of fresh water anywhere. The green portions of the maps could benefit from a pond or reservoir here and there IMHO. 

The devs might have given up on meaningful improvements to this game, but talented modders such as yourself definitely haven't. I anticipate many happy hours on this map :)

• Like 7

Thanks for feedback, the next version has more water and objects. I take the suggestions to advance the map forward.

• Like 5

Considering the short time it's taken for you to put this together, you've done a fantastic job with Anizay as with your other terrains. Thanks for releasing this.

• Like 1

Pretty amazing map. Keep up the good work! :D

• Like 1

This is outstanding, and flexible in that it could easily pass as a part of Iraq, Lebanon, or Syria as well.  

It's a very unique layout as well...reminds me of if Diyala and Kunduz had a baby..it would be this.  Well done!!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Temppa said:

Thanks for feedback, the next version has more water and objects. I take the suggestions to advance the map forward.

Wow that was quick. The ponds look fantastic!

• Thanks 1

Looks really great! We're in need of this kind of stuff a bit less typically afghani and more middle eastern. Only thing that really puts me down are the tropical palms, just like in diyala: 

Spoiler

3921M4j.png

Yeah, I'm a palm nerd :)

Very nice map. Will try it out soon

4 hours ago, b3lx said:

Looks really great! We're in need of this kind of stuff a bit less typically afghani and more middle eastern. Only thing that really puts me down are the tropical palms, just like in diyala: 

Hide contents

3921M4j.png

Yeah, I'm a palm nerd :)

Very nice map. Will try it out soon

Well there actually are palm trees in Afghanistan (Jalalabad region). Even the tropical type. Not a lot but there are some.

And as the description says the map is not a 1:1 representation of the area it draws inspiration from. Also the trees packages available don´t always leave a lot of options. So without starting to model trees from scratch or using sub-optimal models some design choices have to be made occasionally. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jone_kone said:

Well there actually are palm trees in Afghanistan (Jalalabad region). Even the tropical type. Not a lot but there are some.

And as the description says the map is not a 1:1 representation of the area it draws inspiration from. Also the trees packages available don´t always leave a lot of options. So without starting to model trees from scratch or using sub-optimal models some design choices have to be made occasionally. :)

True there are not a lot of options unfortunately, if I could I would try to make some date palms which are quite prevalent in some areas in afghanistan and the most typical of the middle east. Considering the options available I think vanilla phoenix palms available (big and small) in Altis and the variant from Malden are the most similar to the date palm that is most common both in ME in Afghanistan. Maps like this one have the benefit of being used both for afghan and ME scenarios so I would prefer those. It seems the author gave up on palms, which I think was a good decision. Anyway if someone is interested we can continue the discussion in another topic and leave this one alone.

Speaking of sub-optimal models, I hope that in a future update the A2 pistachio bush and tree models can be removed. Their ugly  dated textures are jarring and they don’t work properly with the map’s excellent lighting. As an experiment I wrote myself a simple terrainobjects replace script which hides the offending plants and replaces them with the A3 small fig (bush) and mulberry (tree) and the improvement is massive. While I was at it I replaced the A2 poppies (with reeds)  and dope plants (with pines) , as these also don’t work properly with the lighting - despite being integral to the feel of the region. 

Temppa, I understand fully that you’re constrained by the available assets and have to juggle authenticity and visual fidelity. I think you’ve done a remarkable job.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tpw said:

Speaking of sub-optimal models, I hope that in a future update the A2 pistachio bush and tree models can be removed. Their ugly  dated textures are jarring and they don’t work properly with the map’s excellent lighting. As an experiment I wrote myself a simple terrainobjects replace script which hides the offending plants and replaces them with the A3 small fig (bush) and mulberry (tree) and the improvement is massive. While I was at it I replaced the A2 poppies (with reeds)  and dope plants (with pines) , as these also don’t work properly with the lighting - despite being integral to the feel of the region. 

Temppa, I understand fully that you’re constrained by the available assets and have to juggle authenticity and visual fidelity. I think you’ve done a remarkable job.

Could you give class names what you changed and what. I try them.

Another great release Temppa. I must say i personally miss the palms (palms a palm to most), southern villa doesn't look anywhere near as cool without them, the main city could do with a few more points of interest like the villa, maybe flesh out the fuel stations, few more places to attack/defend basically, and this map would benefit allot from terrainSynth to make the map edge less jarring. Thanks for the great maps :)

Thanks so much for implementing my CUP replacement suggestions @Temppa! I have retired my replacement script now, everything just looks fantastic. The 10m cell size has given a nice boost in speed whilst still retaining the interesting topography of the map. 

Thanks again for such a fantastic central asian map.

• Like 4

@Temppa great map really nice. Enjoying the variation in terrain a lot. Would you be able to change one thing on this and all your other maps too? In the config could you set 

enableTerrainSynth = 1;

The auto gen terrain is working again in Arma 3 now and makes maps not surrounded by water like this look much better.

Thanks and keep up the great work. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flax said:

@Temppa great map really nice. Enjoying the variation in terrain a lot. Would you be able to change one thing on this and all your other maps too? In the config could you set 

enableTerrainSynth = 1;

The auto gen terrain is working again in Arma 3 now and makes maps not surrounded by water like this look much better.

Thanks and keep up the great work. 

I can try it again with this larger cell size, before it took a huge amount of fps.

Thanks, I wasn't aware that it affected FPS that badly, at least when i added a config mod to turn it on it didn't seem to.

If terrain synth is too heavy on the FPS maybe you can add a transition strip East and North with some mountains like BIS has done in Zargabad. That could hide the map limits.

Now that I gave some time to play this map I must say I love it. It's really fun to play and provides very interesting combat situations: the roughness of the terrain makes it unpredictable. Enemies can be all around you hiding behind those bumps. And when stupid AI stands in the open (like they always do) it's less noticeable, so it also makes combat a bit more realistic. The chaotic road network makes the map more difficult to commit to memory which provides better replayability. Also love some details like the amount of ponds (a river would be nice but AI can't cross it so it's better not) and the leaning power poles which seemed odd at first but are actually more realistic this way. Very nice detail: trees of the same class are placed with different heights which make them look more varied than they actually are. I'm also very happy with the choice for palms (I've tried another variety here but it's only a simple object so not a good option in this case).

I like the map just as it is but here are some suggestions nonetheless:

-The roughness is one of its strong points but sometimes in the green region it seems a bit too much. There could be just a few flat areas here and there that would break the continuous undulating roughness. As a bonus that would also make 3den base building easier.

-More variety of walls in particular in the more densely populated places. The mosque walls that are used for the villa suit it fine but are way too extravagant for the more simple houses. You can use vanilla walls for that like Lythium does.

-Increase variety by using more vanilla assets that are compatible with the setting. These for example: "Land_Unfinished_Building_01_F", "Land_Unfinished_Building_02_F", "Land_i_Garage_V1_F", "Land_cargo_addon02_V2_F", "Land_Slum_House01_F", "Land_i_House_Small_03_V1_F"

-Add some dry grass or little stones in those completely empty bumps that look too clean in the green region.

-Improve the industrial areas and make one or two of them bigger.

-IMO the huge mosque in the middle of nowhere doesn't make much sense: why would someone build it there? who would go there? I think a cement or mining facility would better suit the place.

-I would love to see some powerlines in those poles (I'm not serious I know that is very difficult to do). But you could add just a few poles with lines of the bigger kind.

-About the vegetation: cultivated bushes and trees tend to follow straight lines in the real world. Random bushes and trees usually only exist in wild unpopulated regions or on the edges of properties or edges of roads.

-Big water towers should be only exist near populated areas.

-Satellite antennas on some houses: "Satelit", "Land_SatelliteAntenna_01_F"

• Like 2

The green area was left unfinished when the fps dropped really low, I did not dare to put any more objects there. Now that the fps problem has been corrected so I've already added a lot of new objects into the green zone and the desert side.

• Like 5

The great thing with a map like this is due to the terrain style you can generally run the terrain at lower view distances to up FPS as there isn't too many massive sight lines.  Nice to hear you managed to get more object in there too.