gc8

MARTA Reveal question

Hi

I'm using the MARTA in my mission but a question rise regarding the multiplayer.

This line:

player setvariable ["MARTA_reveal",_enemyGroups];

Does not appear to be too multiplayer friendly as player does not even exist on server. So my question is how to properly reveal the units so that ALL players see the markers? I assume I just have to do MARTA_reveal on all clients?

But that leads to another question, what determines what BIS_Marta_getVisibleGroups returns? Is that different for each client too?

I hope some one can shed some light on this :)

thx!

sure, on all clients.

Did you place the module in editor?

is _enemyGroups defined on each PC?

You can have different displays for players if they don't belong to the same side but you need to define what you want to reveal, in some defined variable for each client.

4 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

sure, on all clients.

Did you place the module in editor?

is _enemyGroups defined on each PC?

You can have different displays for players if they don't belong to the same side but you need to define what you want to reveal, in some defined variable for each client.

I created the module via script. i would actually want the server to know if the groups are visible so I can run some commander AI code on the server. I'd assume there's no problem using "MARTA_reveal" on server but have no clue what to pass as argument instead of the player?

You should post what you scripted and where. The Military symbol module (Martha) works fine for all players. You can't script that on server only.

Use the module and run your line when you need it, for players you want:

For example, in initPlayerLocal.sqf

setGroupIconsVisible[true,false]; // mandatory command
player setVariable [ "MARTA_REVEAL", allGroups select {side _x == playerSide}];

or even:

player setVariable [ "MARTA_REVEAL", allGroups select {side _x != playerSide}];

player setVariable [ "MARTA_HIDE", allGroups select {side _x == playerSide}];

@pierremgi Thanks, I'm mainly concerned getting this work on server... clients should be easier.

Here's my code so far, it's just a simple test:

"MartaManager" createUnit [[0,0,0], createGroup civilian];

setGroupIconsVisible [true,true];

sleep 1;

#define DETECT_GROUP_RANGE 300
 _group = group player;

while { true } do
 {
  scopename "revealGroups";

_ldr = leader _group;
 _side = side _group;

_knownGroups = [getpos _ldr, DETECT_GROUP_RANGE] call BIS_Marta_getVisibleGroups;

_enemyGroups = allgroups select { _side != (side _x) && (side _x) != civilian && ((leader _x) distance2D (getpos _ldr)) < DETECT_GROUP_RANGE && !(_x in _knownGroups) };

if(count _enemyGroups > 0) then
  {
   systemchat format["Revealing groups! %1", _enemyGroups];

player setvariable ["MARTA_reveal",_enemyGroups];
   breakout "revealGroups";
  };

sleep 3;
 };

No!

- place the Marta module via editor.

in initPlayerLocal.sqf:

setGroupIconsVisible[true,true];
[] spawn {
  while {true} do { // for "relative conditions", here distance
    sleep 2;
    player setVariable [ "MARTA_REVEAL", allGroups select {side _x != playerSide && leader _x distance2D player < 300}]
  }
};
player setVariable [ "MARTA_HIDE", allGroups select {side _x == playerSide && side _x != civilian}]; // just example for "absolute conditions", no need to be in loop

Nothing more.

13 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

[] spawn { while {true} do { // for "relative conditions", here distance sleep 2; player setVariable [ "MARTA_REVEAL", allGroups select {side _x != playerSide && leader _x distance2D player < 300}] } };

There's actually a problem with this code because when you pass already visible groups to "MARTA_REVEAL" variable over again and again it makes the icons flicker on the map

That's why I'm also using BIS_Marta_getVisibleGroups

Or was that my code?

What's wrong with placing marta via script?

Edited by gc8
addition

Also if anyone knows why BIS_marta_mainscope setvariable ["duration",5]; is not working please let me know. I tried it with and without the  "MARTA_REVEAL" code but no matter how far I get from the enemy group it does not disappear. 

module in editor,

initPlayerLocal.sqf

setGroupIconsVisible[true,true];
//  BIS_marta_mainscope setvariable ["duration",30];  // overridden by the distance condition.
[] spawn {
   while {true} do {
     sleep 2;
    player setVariable [ "MARTA_REVEAL", allGroups select {side _x != playerSide && leader _x distance2D player < 300}];
    player setVariable [ "MARTA_HIDE", allGroups select {side _x == playerSide or side _x == civilian or (leader _x distance2D player >= 300)}];
  }
};

Tested with 2 players. No flickering. Out.

But shouldn't there be automatic hide too?

the "duration"

?