davidoss

Handicapped player

Hi folks.
I wanna ask you guys for long time why as player we can not jumping in arma.
Is there any reason for making player an cripple or some of developers just forgot about such ability.

• Thanks 1

As a real life cripple ( :f: ) I can agree that it was kind of weird how in Arma there was no jump/climb natively. Sometimes my character feels like Claptrap: "Stairs?! NOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo!". Then again, that's pretty much me in real life too, lol. I doubt it was to try combat bunnyhopping or something silly. Maybe they didn't have time to implement correctly or something? I don't know.

But thankfully there is an excellent mod called Enhanced Movement by the awesome BadBenson that allows you to jump over obstacles and climb walls. I am even able to have a buddy crouch against a higher wall and use him to get up and over. It's not perfect or fluid-like as you might see in scripted AAA title games might have with a cinematic or something, but it works and works quite well for something missing from the base game. Maybe look into that mod for your needs. Maybe the dev's will take note of it and put it on the board of things to implement in Arma 4.

• Like 2

It's really odd. IIRC (and I might be completely wrong about everything to follow), @smookie was brought in to work on A3 because of his work on the SMK Animations mod for A2. That mod included jumping, climbing, tactical slide, all sorts of stances (hence the new stances in A3), and some other goodies. Ah, well.

• Like 1

How well can you jump if you're carrying

A combat helmet and night vision goggles

A full ghillie suit and a combat/carrying vest

A large backpack

A light machine gun

With 2 boxes of spare ammunition

An anti-tank launcher with 2 missiles

A couple of grenades

Mechanic's tools for on the field repairs

Three sets of bandages and some other medical supplies

Would imagine there's some rations and drinks as well not modelled in the game

Oh yes I remember the bunny hopping days from Battlefield 2 as well :don9:

• Like 2

Well, why can't you jump if you are carrying

Nothing

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Harzach said:

Well, why can't you jump if you are carrying

Nothing

Carrying?

What do you mean?

Spoiler

WwnsrZx.jpg

Cheers

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

What do you mean?

Ps6JwhS.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Why no jump?

- there is very little jumping in RL military missions,  realize that in RL it can be very hard just to climb in the back of a truck on your own with full gear

- arma is not a basketball game

- maybe it can cause clipping errors / cheats in the game

- maybe they didn't want multiplayer with lots of jumping fools

- the terrain and structures are simplified and smaller than RL to provide easy access. Even though people complain about getting around in Arma, at least you don't have to machete a path through the jungles of Tanoa. And you can run on very steep terrain.

- you can pass lots of obstacles like fences with the step-over function

It would be nice to have, I agree, as arma is also a giant playground, but the player is far from a cripple.

• Like 3

i feel like jumping is given a strange emphasis in video games anyway, dunno if theres any pro-jumpers on these forums but personally i find RL jumping is far less useful than games would have me believe, and thats before carrying all the gear.

that said i like the enhanced movement mod, the jumps are realistically small hops.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really don't care either way, I'm just still butthurt over having to go into the stepover animation to get over a curb in A2.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

To me it always felt that doorways are the strange thing. Then again, it could be that backpack and launcher too? :dontgetit:

On 10/9/2018 at 1:47 AM, joostsidy said:

there is very little jumping in RL military missions,  realize that in RL it can be very hard just to climb in the back of a truck on your own with full gear

100% agree with this. As an airsoft player, I can tell you that it is difficult to "jump" over a waist-height wall. If I were to get over it, I normally would just step over it (you know, crossing one leg at a time). AT MOST I can just about vault over it, which is NOT easy when you have to use at least one hand to hold your rifle. And more importantly, why do it? Why expose yourself crossing over them? Unless it is the great wall of China, or a waist-height fence, we just get around them.  Most of the time they are good cover anyway.

Airsoft gears (which are just puny toys compared to real steel counterparts) are very forgiving already in terms of weight. My gun is already on the HEAVY side for airsoft AR15, weighting at nearly 4kg (just about a real steel loaded 16-inch AR15). Our magazines are light, weighting usually around 100-300 g, depending on whether your gun is gas-powered or battery powered (I think mine is just below 200 g loaded), and I carry just 6 of them. My plate carrier (minus the steel plate of course) weights around 1.5 kg (give or take) with all the necessary pouches attached. A replica helmet (just hard plastic) weighting just below 1 kg. Add my phone and wallet into the load and I am carrying around 8kg of airsoft gear. 

Gun: 4kg
magazine: 0.2kg * 6 = 1.2kg
plate carrier: 1.5kg
helmet: 1kg
personal items: 0.5kg

With 8 kg you already feel the weight. You are not as swift and agile as you normally are. Imagine carrying real steel equipment (30kg, I think?).

On 10/9/2018 at 2:15 AM, lordfrith said:

personally i find RL jumping is far less useful than games would have me believe, and thats before carrying all the gear.

This is another good point. Weight is not the only issue, the more important part is, are there any advantage what so ever? Like I said earlier, there isn't really a need to get over things, just run around them. There are not much advantage climbing onto things either (I can only think of climbing onto a crate so you could look/shoot over a wall). Being swift is more important, as you will have much less exposure time to enemy fire.

Think about it, if we are running 110m hurdle race, we can just about jump over a 1m high obstacle. And in high jump the world record is 2m, and for that we have to run, cross the bar with our back and land onto soft cushion. Those are 'fancy stunt' that have the sole purpose of crossing over obstacle. Also, we are carrying a rifle, where our arms can't swing, and that has a big effect on a sprint. (try timing your run with and without a stick in front you and you will see)

If anything, in the old Arma days, when we see a wooden fence, we have to get out of the way. But in Arma 3, we can cross the fence, we can win. No longer are we to knuckle under (or craw under in some case) to a fence. 

The only thing I could see as an improvement is for the "step over" animation to be faster, and maybe an action to climb onto waist-height things.

a little jump would be ok. More of a step with inertia really.

but clambering would be great.

The real question is: What would this add to the game? Do you *really* need it? I'm barely using the vault key even, especially because half the time I just get stuck somewhere in the environment. Not sure how much more useful a tiny jump would be.

If I had to chose, I'd rather have the ability to climb higher walls, etc..