bigshot

Vanilla Shooting Accuracy of Vehicled AI

Been spending quite some time trying to figure out why it seems that the shooting accuracy of arma3's vehicled AI (normal ground/foot troops aren't effected) seems to be ignoring the actual setting for it.

I have spent days writing and rewriting script in my Duws Modified mission in an attempt to find a way of setting the AI so that they will not be able to shoot my nipples off through a keyhole at 300m, but to no avail.

I have searched high and low scouring the forums and trying to different snippets of spawning and setskill codes...and while I have found a few different ways of getting the skills set for gunners and commanders...it all never seems to make any difference because even though the skill number is setting correctly the AI inside the vehicle is still shooting with an accuracy that simply does not equate to its accuracy setting (and other sub skill settings).

It's as if the AI, once inside a vehicle is simply ignoring the accuracy settings altogether (no matter how I spawn it makes no different...ive tried with creating units first then crewing it up, ive tried spawnGroup with vehicleCFG's and a few other ways).

Now I know the scripts are working as they should, and I know that I can set accuracy all day long for ground troops without issue and i can get them to have trouble hitting the side of a barn if I wanted to ... so im summizing here that there is something different effecting AI behavior in vehicles that goes beyond what their skill setting numbers are at.

Does anyone know what can be causing this? (I have no config addons that effect AI in anyway). I do have cba installed.

Or..is it known that they broke the AI again? (well the VEHICLED AI anyway).

try that :

if(_x isKindOf "Tank" && side _x == east) then {

_x setUnitAbility 0.1;

_x setskill ["aimingAccuracy",0.15];

_x setskill ["spotDistance",0.35];

_x setskill ["spotTime",0.15];

_x setskill ["courage",0.50];

_x setskill ["commanding",0.60];

_x setskill ["aimingShake",0.10];

_x setskill ["aimingSpeed",0.10];

_x setskill ["reloadSpeed",0.10];

};

} ForEach AllUnits;

thanks, but tried that days ago..and as I said...the code is fine..itll set the numbers as you ask...but the AI simply seems to ignore it.

You can verify this in the editor with no mission necessary:

Go into editor at an airport and place a trigger, make it 50x50, name it trigger1, make the activation for bluefor NOT PRESENT, and in the onAcitvation box place the following code:

WARCOM_opf_patrol_type = (configfile >> "CfgGroups" >> "East" >> "OPF_F" >> "Armored" >> "OIA_TankSection");

group1= [getpos trigger1, EAST, WARCOM_opf_patrol_type,[],[],[0.1,0.1]] call BIS_fnc_spawnGroup; {_x setskill

["aimingaccuracy", 0.10]} forEach units group1;

Plce yourself about 250-300m away from the trigger area.

Now, play it...let them see you and start shooting at them to provoke them...see how long it takes before they hit you and you die. Takes 1 or 2 sprays for me...and this is with my in-game difficulty sliders all the way down to

.5 for skill and .1 for precision...AND their accuracy skill set inside the editor at 0.1. They are ignoring the setting as compared to ground troops, obviously something is wrong.

Seems to me that there's something about the vehicles thats blocking the AI skill settings from actually being used by the AI. If you set ground troops at 0.1 they cant hit you at all pretty much...but put the vehicled AI at 0.1 and well, you may as well have left it at 0.5 or even higher because it has little to no effect by lowering it. They must have broken it.

1 hour ago, bigshot said:

WARCOM_opf_patrol_type =

It is Spookwarcom ? maybe that override the skill.

try to put that in the init.sqf

[] spawn

{

while {true} do

{

sleep 30;

{

_x setSkill ["aimingspeed", 0.1];

_x setSkill ["spotdistance", 0.1];

_x setSkill ["aimingaccuracy", 0.1];

_x setSkill ["aimingshake", 0.1];

_x setSkill ["spottime", 0.1];

_x setSkill ["spotdistance", 0.1];

_x setSkill ["commanding", 0.1];

_x setSkill ["general", 0.1];

}

forEach allUnits;

}

};

Just wait 30 sec before engaging after spawning you can change the delay if you want for exemple sleep 5;

You should try it with a FIA offroad first without warcom, cause if the armored vehicle use explosive ammo and if warcom have an impact on the skill thats not the best way to test the accuracy.

• Like 1

@damsous - thanks but either im misunderstanding you or you're not listening to what I said (typed).

Warcom is just a variable name thats been in the mission for 5 years now :-) (has nothing to do with an addon/mod).

I gave an example to use in the editor (you can change the variable names if you wish) to show that this isnt related to the mission or bad coding. It just doesn't work as its supposed to. Test it in the editor and youll see.

@George - thank you for the link,  what is that exactly...is it just the setskill commands in a function? (if so then it doesnt work on tanked AI). test it.

• Like 1

@bigshot Never saw any AI settings applying to AI in vehicle. Somebody (GOM ?) released some test mission to tweak AI and check the effect. Even if infantry were properly managed (to the point where an AI was not able to kill an opponnent at 50m with their default ammo), it had absolutly no effect the second this same AI entered the gunner seat of a vehicule, instantly mutating to Terminator AI.

1 hour ago, 1212PDMCDMPPM said:

@bigshot Never saw any AI settings applying to AI in vehicle. Somebody (GOM ?) released some test mission to tweak AI and check the effect. Even if infantry were properly managed (to the point where an AI was not able to kill an opponnent at 50m with their default ammo), it had absolutly no effect the second this same AI entered the gunner seat of a vehicule, instantly mutating to Terminator AI.

Thank you for understanding what im trying to get at here. In fact, I just tested it again by using some code  I modified from george's script (thanks again George)... which perfectly shows me pointing at opfor tanks and other vehicles with my cursor so it shows their skill settings including aimingaccuracy...and it clearly proves what im saying. Their skill are showing set correctly (ranging from 0.05 - 0.10)  but they are ignoring the setting and acting almost as if they are on superAI setting.

I've been trying to get vehicled AI to calm down for a long time but I never really put time into it and tested more fully until now to understand just how really broken it IS.

Have they any intentions on fixing this?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigshot said:

@damsous - thanks but either im misunderstanding you or you're not listening to what I said (typed).

Warcom is just a variable name thats been in the mission for 5 years now :-) (has nothing to do with an addon/mod).

I gave an example to use in the editor (you can change the variable names if you wish) to show that this isnt related to the mission or bad coding. It just doesn't work as its supposed to. Test it in the editor and youll see.

@George - thank you for the link,  what is that exactly...is it just the setskill commands in a function? (if so then it doesnt work on tanked AI). test it.

I understand what you say, that why i tell you to try with an armed offroad.

I try it, setskill to 0, that take more than 50 shot to hit me at 200-300m with an offroad, same test with an ifrit hmg = 1 shot.

I think the modern A3 vehicle scope that give distance, thermal view.... make super AI, i got the same result with tank vs tank, a t-100 hit me on each shot if i move, a modded t-55 miss 6 times if static.

Same result with static weapon, skill 0, vanilla static hmg 1 shot, modded kord around 50 shot before hit me at 200m.

1 hour ago, bigshot said:

using some code  I modified from george's script (thanks again George)...

If in any case you find something please quote also me ! thanks!

Maybe i found something, the skill inside the vehicle depend on CfgWeapon value if this value "aiDispersionCoefY" and "aiDispersionCoefX" are set to 1, the AI will one shot if its set to 15 it will be less accurate.

So on my test the CUP Kord is set to 15, the vanilla static hmg is set to 3.

After i don't konow how to overide this setting.

bug not fixed for 8 years. additionally, moderation team repeatedly delete and suppress bug discussions on this forum

36 minutes ago, bmb said:

bug not fixed for 8 years. additionally, moderation team repeatedly delete and suppress bug discussions on this forum

How many forum rules can you break in one post?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bmb said:

Maybe instead of spamming the forum with bugs not being fixed messages, and resurrecting old threads,

use the feedback tracker and report whatever bugs or issues your running into https://feedback.bistudio.com/project/view/1/

then the devs can actually look at what the issue is, if it is an issue.

You have to be realistic about these things, you can just complain about something, it has to be a legit demonstratable (if thats a word )reason

that alot of people are dealing with, if your dealing with it and can prove its an actual bug and not just your opinion of a "bug"

based on how you like to play the game then by all means report it.

Leave the attitude, the complaining, the child tantrum behind and look at it with a seriousness like a developer would

give them a reason as to why the "bug" is a bug and or problem ingame.

Does it break or conflict with other things, does it prevent something from not working?

Other factors that make or create bugs, missions, mods, scripts, your crap computer which might cause to much lag,

antivirus, background programs, ect,. get the idea? 

Theres tons of factors that go into it, dont complain about something until you define what the issue is and list in what situation/s

are they being seen, and obviously it has to be vanilla as said a mod can create issues or conflicts with things if the mod isn't optimized

or stable itself, this is arma thats what you get with a massive open world

scriptable, moddable game like this, do it right or quit crying and move on.

Use the feedback tracker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The bug is demonstrated in the thread already, I just point out that it is not fixed after a very (unacceptably) long time. Nobody is throwing a tantrum.

13 minutes ago, bmb said:

The bug is demonstrated in the thread already, I just point out that it is not fixed after a very (unacceptably) long time. Nobody is throwing a tantrum.

However rather than digging up the thread which is 4 years old with "bug not fixed for 8 years". It would have been much better to have posted something much more constructive and concise.  

• Like 2

How could it be more concise? The thread is old because the issue is old. One of the most long running popular addons is LAMBS_Turrets, which fixes this issue by adding a large amount of unrealistic dispersion to the vehicle weapons themselves. So it's a commonly recognized problem.

Heh I’ve oft wondered about this myself as I generally assign extremely low AI aiming sub skills which works decently for soldiers but never seemed to effect vehicles

Must admit I don't think four years is that old.

However, the only thing you can do with ai is add your own content to it to improve it's effectiveness. It's always been a problem, but that said, the ai does a hell of a lot 'right' too.

🙂

also affects things like infantry-fired RPG at static weapon.

AI RPGs do.not.miss. when fired at static weapons, no matter range

If you think this behavior is only 8 years old, I'm just gonna have to assume you never played A2 🤣

• Like 1

the issue aged way before arma 2 had ever emerged to existence, i first noticed it from arma armed assault but i think it roots to OFP

I blame myself gentlemen -the Devs once scolded me for complaining about the AI -that I was actually slowing down the AI team's  progress by making frivolous complaints. Sorry BI AI team. Wait do you exist?

• Haha 1