Sign in to follow this  
Gen.Carnage

M46 fieldgun released

Hi again people, just here to inform you we've released the russian M46 Fieldgun.

m462s.jpg

To download, click my banner to browse to DKM-MOD website.

VERY nice work...excellent textures! I did notice one small issue...regardless of if you load heat or sabot the indicator on the upper left always reads eithe HEAT 130 or HE 130.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It has 20 HEAT rounds for heavy duty tankbusting, and 16 HE rounds for use against soft targets.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah...I saw that, but it still says reload sabot or reload heat in the action menu...that was what I was getting at...not a big deal...it is a nice addon!

Great addon...but one problem.... aircraft can't launch missiles at it or drop bombs on it. I know you were trying to be realistic because it doesn't have much heat signature, however in real life, there are also plenty of laser guided weapons, millimeter wave radar guided weapons, and GPS guided bombs. Also in OFP, the AI pilots can't bomb the artillery. These field guns also have longer detection range then the tanks so in a mission they totally wipe out any enemy in the direction they are facing from a very long range. Without the ability to call in air support to destroy them, it's almost impossible to kill them. sad.gif

I hope that you will please allow aircraft to detect them.

That way when we are playing on the West side, we can call in aircraft to attack the field guns if they are destroying all our troops and tanks.

Thx.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

A great addon, but I think I found a little something ... The axle between the wheels seems to be lacking textures. Or is it meant to be white?

Are you planning to do a winter version of this? That would rock.

@miles tag: I know of this problem, i've tried setting irtarget to on...

result was very discouraging, the attacking M1A1's massacred the fieldguns since they have faster reloads and fire at greater distance then.

When set to off position, only a numerical overwhelming amount of MBT's will sucessfully defeat the fieldgun battery.

(8 M46 vs 8 M1A1's: abrams loose,

8M46's vs 12 M1A1's, abrams win)

The problem is there is no inbetween setting for irtarget, its either on or off, since this is a highly camouflaged defense gun, it main role is to defeat incoming armor.

Jet's and helo's have other means to target and lock low heat signature targets, but ofp doesnt give us the means to make this work afaik.

*idea* Maybe i can build a separate item that must be placed over the gun in the editor that would be a 'lasertarget'.

So at least the guns can be 'painted' for LGB's.

I just thought of this, and will investigate.

the main way of destroying the weapons now is to find a way to get behind the guns, you can also airdrop some AI LAWsoldiers behind the M46 lines, they will engage and destroy the guns. Snipers can also shoot the gunners out of their seats.

nothing should be white, if so , a texture must have gone missing.

I wasn't planning on making a winter version, but maybe i will when i find the time.

Ok that sounds cool. Fair enough. Yeah I hope that laser designator idea works. That's too bad the game engine limits you in that regard. Oh by the way... I found another solution to the bombing problem. I simply put some regular trucks and other vehicles right next to the artillery. That way when the aircraft bomb the other vehicles usually the bombs also hit the artillery. smile.gif Of coarse if West tanks come up they'll start shooting at those vehicles instead of the artillery and will all get killed by the artillery. smile.gif

But like you said, the artillery can usually be outflanked...unless they are guarding the Nogova bridge. Without M113's or boats to cross the water safely, then you are screwed unless, like you said, you airdrop troops behind the artillery.

Anyways, thanks for the excellent addon. It's very good and very useful.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But like you said, the artillery can usually be outflanked...unless they are guarding the Nogova bridge. Without M113's or boats to cross the water safely, then you are screwed unless, like you said, you airdrop troops behind the artillery. <span id='postcolor'>

smile.gif see? it's allready changing your tactics... which imho is good for ofp.

but i'll look into the lasertargeting as soon as i find time.

You can fire at things without locking...and if the AI won't attack, well, that is where the human comes in confused.gif

Some ppl need to whinge less tounge.gif Nice gun mate, well done, keep it up smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Dec. 24 2002,23:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can fire at things without locking...and if the AI won't attack, well, that is where the human comes in confused.gif

Some ppl need to whinge less tounge.gif Nice gun mate, well done, keep it up smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

yes, but It wouldnt be called a single player mission (some of us dont have super fast internet connection for super fast internet play) if I had to have another human to play the role of gunner.

why would you call it whining if its an important problem confused.gif

that sinking feeling.......  confused.gif

I looked in the readme file for this addon and it doesn't say anything about the fieldgun normally being half buried in the ground.

I placed the fieldgun on an official map, when I find the fieldgun it was half buried, but I was still able to get into the gunner's seat.

Are you suppose to set the vertical elevation in the editor initial conditions box?

Or it suppose to be like this, so you can dig the fieldgun into a position?

thanks xmas.gif

you are the first and as far as i know only one to complain about this, is it possible you placed it on uneven ground?

Like all static addons (most), outting it on uneven ground results in weird placement.

Even though the landcontact is defined by three points, ofp engine thinks its beeing funny when deciding how to place a tripod on uneven ground...

solution: find a flat surface nearby

I think its wicked! I have 4 of em in bunkers firing into the distance and they look sweet as! If you can get to the front of 1 and not be shot, theres always the possibility you could shoot the gunner through the gap in the metal plate, ive done it a few times, you just have to be a good shot! biggrin.gif

oh and about the 1/2 burried thing, i get that too, even on flat ground, no problem though, i just raise it by 1 unit and it looks fine! wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">major_winters

oh and about the 1/2 burried thing, i get that too, even on flat ground, no problem though, i just raise it by 1 unit and it looks fine!

<span id='postcolor'>

Yup, that worked. I used this in the initialization field:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this setPos [getpos this select 0, getpos this select 1, 1.5]

<span id='postcolor'>

You may need to lower/raise the y-vertical (the 1.5 in above code), if you see air under the tires, or cannot see the leg-spades.

smile.gif

Excellent addon!!

Just one thing. From what I see, AI law soldiers wont engage the fieldguns. Is there anyway to make them at least try to take it out?

Also when you set AI west infantry to attack them, even from behind, they dont seem to want to do anything except to crawl up to the gun. Is it possible to make the gunner targetable by infantry?

Apart from that, excellent stuff again from DKM!!

I would just like to point out that dug in German AT guns in world war 2 could take out allied tanks at a rate of up to 12 tanks for 1 AT gun. Even in modern war dug in AT missles and guns should be able to kill at a ratio of 4-6 tanks per weapon. Welcome to the wonderful world of modern war.

Spiffy addon btw.

The reason german guns could kill so many allied tanks was because most of them had all the armor of a tin can.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Flash Burn @ Dec. 30 2002,10:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would just like to point out that dug in German AT guns in world war 2 could take out allied tanks at a rate of up to 12 tanks for 1 AT gun.  Even in modern war dug in AT missles and guns should be able to kill at a ratio of 4-6 tanks per weapon.  Welcome to the wonderful world of modern war.    

Spiffy addon btw.<span id='postcolor'>

Woe... I think there is a big difference between a simple field gun of similar caliber to a M1 Abrahms main battle tank with an extremely sophisticated fire control system that allows for incredibly far shots even while moving. I seriously think there is any AT field gun in the world that can outshoot a modern main battle tank. Not only that, the AT gun is a stationary target and it's muzzle flashes can most likely easily be detected. Thermal imagers on modern tanks should be able to pick it out as the barrel gets hot after firing and possibly the gun crew moving around as well.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

People always seem to focus in on the modern high tech push button of death weapon systems. Which are over rated thanks to the gulf war. Most of the world are using weapons systems from as far as 50 years back. Would a 100mm at gun firing heat rounds at an m1 be effective on its frontal arch? Of course not. But an m60? Oh hell yes. Or a T72m1, or a t62, or leo 1, amx30. You know, what most of the world uses.